Help with league settings please? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help with league settings please?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with league settings please?

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Im not new to fantasy baseball, have played about 5-6 years, and been commish most of them. im more of a fantasy football junkie so havent really mastered the details of fbb.

So here is the situation: I like rottisserie leagues best because h2h in baseball is kinda too open to chance when playoffs start and with late season injuries, etc. i see it more as a season long competition instead of just a few weeks at the end.
when i do the settings, i put the usual starting lineup and pitchers, with a max 162 games for each, and max innings, etc. But my problem is there are so many games and last minute lineup changes that its nearly impossible to get your total # of games in. and the guy who wins is never the guy with the best team, but always the guy who has the most time to put into watching lineup changes and gets the most # of games and innings and accumulates the most stats.

There has to be a solution to this. can anybody help me out? My only idea is to maybe make the lineups with double of every position, and make the max # games something like 81. Then you can start 2 of a position and get 2 games to catch up if you are behind on games played....but will still only have 162 games total (max). Is that a good idea?
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help with league settings please?

Postby BoBtheMule » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Just do weekly lineup changes instead of daily. Yeah some owners will still miss the last minute injuries and miss some GS for a position but this setting negates the "always online" advantage.
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm

You kind of have me confused with the "number of games". I have played Roto for 20 years and have never run across this. The games only come in to make a player eligible for a position. You have 23 players that you play. You might have some reserves that you move into your lineup. For pitchers there is a minimum innings pitched, but not a maximum. == Could you go into that a bit more. Thanks, == PS I agree that weekly changes will negate the "online advantage".
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby BoBtheMule » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm

bigmck wrote:You kind of have me confused with the "number of games". I have played Roto for 20 years and have never run across this. The games only come in to make a player eligible for a position. You have 23 players that you play. You might have some reserves that you move into your lineup. For pitchers there is a minimum innings pitched, but not a maximum. == Could you go into that a bit more. Thanks, == PS I agree that weekly changes will negate the "online advantage".

Some websites let you set maximum games started for position players (just like some league settings like you sat maximums for GS or IP) for a scoring system. It's not something that's used very often and I think it's generally used for H2H leagues to avoid teams getting an advantage in the adding categories due to double headers and extra games played in any specific week. My H2H league has one but it's pretty much set to let you start a player at a position 7 days a week (which rarely happens anyways due to offdays and days of rest). For a roto league, I think it's pretty pointless... I am always online and still can't manage to max out a position to 162 days unless I draft someone like Tejada (well a couple of years ago).
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LSUby50 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:54 pm

yes, exactly what he said. Basically we have 9 position players and you can start a player at each position for a total of 162 games over the season. The stats add up all year and you get points based on your ranking in each stat. The problem comes in when a player (especially a catcher) is given a day off unexpectedly and you dont insert a replacement player, then you miss out on 1 of the games and may total only 161 for hie position. (over the course of the season this happens alot and maybe you get 145 games at each position but another owner gets all 162 at each, giving more cumulative stats, despite having a less talented roster). I assumed the game # limit was to keep guys from streaming players/pitchers to accumulate the stats, but in the end doesnt work because its impossible to max the games out. Would making the max # games lower (maybe 140?) be a good idea? then last minute scratches wouldnt be impossible to overcome.

or maybe rotisserie isnt the best way to go? ive done H2H and didnt really like it, because i dont like seeing a team dominate all year, and maybe have injuries, or a player out of playoff contention get shut down, rookies called up, etc, and the fantasy playoffs be determined based on that. What is the "normal" rotisserie settings? Also i dont like H2H because i see about half my league quit when out of contention (these are casual fbb players, not really overly zealous) and that leaves easy H2H matchups for some teams but not others late in the year.

What format would be good for casual players ?(minimum time input, and simple to understand)

i like the idea of weekly roster changes. that would level the playing field alot.Thanks!

Thank
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:23 pm

LSUby50 wrote:
or maybe rotisserie isnt the best way to go? ive done H2H and didnt really like it, because i dont like seeing a team dominate all year, and maybe have injuries, or a player out of playoff contention get shut down, rookies called up, etc, and the fantasy playoffs be determined based on that. What is the "normal" rotisserie settings? Also i dont like H2H because i see about half my league quit when out of contention (these are casual fbb players, not really overly zealous) and that leaves easy H2H matchups for some teams but not others late in the year.

What format would be good for casual players ?(minimum time input, and simple to understand)

i like the idea of weekly roster changes. that would level the playing field alot.Thanks!

Thank

I think "games played" in Roto would be useless. How many players play every game anyway? No very many. Just pick your players and if you pick good ones, they will play and get you stats. == The standard catagoies for the hitters are HR, RBI, Steals, BA and Runs Scored. Pitchers get Wins, Saves, ERA, WHIP and Strike Outs. == Also you mentioned Fantasy Playoffs. Those are not usually done in Roto. The season long stats give a true champion, not two weeks of playoffs.
== If you are wanting a league for the casual fan, do Roto and have Weekly Player Changes. With Weekly Changes the casual fan does not have to read the paper everyday to find out if someone on his team is hurt or hitting bad.

Good Luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby fast dogs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm

but always the guy who has the most time to put into watching lineup changes and gets the most # of games and innings and accumulates the most stats
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So you must be playing yahoo where you get to wait until 5 minutes before each game starts to edit your lineup. So the guy sitting there when the evening games are about to start just checks the lineups & if a left hand hitter isn't starting vs a tough lefty, the guy just puts a lesser player in to get some stats for the day.So what you want to do is eliminate the guy who just hangs around from getting an unfair advantage. CBS locks the entire daily lineup right before the first game of the day starts, don't know if that is an option with yahoo or not. Thats just an option to the weekly lineup, which is really the norm for roto anyway I'd think. Sure you lose a weeks worth of stars if your starter gets injured on Monday, but thats life in weekly lineups.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)

Postby LSUby50 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Sounds good guys, i will definitely go to a weekly change of lineups, that will prevent people from streaming average players and getting a ton more games played than everyone else.

thanks for your help!
LSUby50
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:21 pm

I personally HATE weekly lineup settings - I tend to be an active owner, but by no means am I a "streamer". In weekly lineup leagues, I always tend to ignore my team until Sunday when I fix my lineup - takes all the fun out of it for me. We haven't really had this problem in my leagues... do you just happen to have a bunch of guys in your league who don't pay much attention? If so, then isn't that really the problem?

How many guys do you have on your bench? If you have 4-5 bench guys, those guys will use up some of the games played. Sure, catcher tends to always be low (140 or so) in terms of games played, but most other positions naturally end up at 155-160 games played without much effort. If for some reason this is a problem in your league, I would personally rather reduce the games played to 154 than go to weekly lineups. Just make sure you have an adequate number of Utility/CI/MI positions so you don't get stuck only getting 154 games our of your superstars.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby pjalst » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Doubling up at positions is definitely not going solve your problem(it not really a problem). Even if you start C C,1B 1B, 2B 2B...etc players are still going to miss games. Catchers miss a lot of games because of the nature of the postition. People don't realize that they make more throws than the SP.

If you don't want to make daily changes then a weekly line up setting is for you. Like someone else mentioned, throw your best players in and just monitor injuries. Every players is going to get a day off here and there and there's mothing you can do about it even if you make daily changes.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner