Good article about NL FAIL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good article about NL FAIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:52 pm

McPhail's biggest weakness to me (other than his infatuation with former Cubbies, of course) tends to be a tendency to overpay for scrub veteran IF/Utility/RP, rather than be willing to go with a no-name replacement level guy on the cheap. He over-reacted to the SS fiasco of 2008 and overpaid for Izturis. He seemed overly concerned about the corners in 2009 and overpaid for Wigginton when he already had several other reasonable options and could have waited things out for a while. I think to win in the AL East, he's going to have to eventually get better at the back end of the roster things to be able to maximize the value he gets from his dollars.

But, that's a minor quibble in what's been a good start.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 am

It's strange that the thing you complain about McPhail is the same thing that Twin's fan complain about Ryan/Smith. It's like he's never left. Every year they try to grab lower tier FA's for 2-5M/yr for 1-2 yrs and they almost always get a pile of junk. Particularly painful was the offseason that they spent 15+M on Livan, Monroe, Everett and Lamb. And all they got out of that was a bunch of yuk.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Kraftwerk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 am

I like the way Jon Daniels has been turning things around in Texas. The farm system is superb,contending for #1 in MLB imo.

Nolan Ryans continuation will only help more and more, and the removal of Hicks from majority ownership cannot be underestimated.

I think Rangers are going Post Season in 2010, and finally become a WS contender in the next 5 years.
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers