Good article about NL FAIL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good article about NL FAIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

B-Chad wrote:What about Andy McPhail? He really seems to be stockpiling a nice collection of young talent in Baltimore.
He seems to have a really good job but some positive results are needed IMO.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 384)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Trades for Holliday and DeRosa :-t :-t

TBD
Penny FA
Holliday?
Pujols next contract

seven years for Holliday has to be thumbs down .. right?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't like the 7 years, but let's see the breakdown if there are any options in it.

I hope there are team options, since they gave the no-trade. :-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:31 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I don't like the 7 years, but let's see the breakdown if there are any options in it.

I hope there are team options, since they gave the no-trade. :-[

if there are options, chances are they aren't in the Cards favor. Maybe, but i doubt it.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 720)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 pm

B-Chad wrote:What about Andy McPhail? He really seems to be stockpiling a nice collection of young talent in Baltimore.



Like a lot of what he's done so far, but too soon to tell whether he can pull it all together into a winning team.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
B-Chad wrote:What about Andy McPhail? He really seems to be stockpiling a nice collection of young talent in Baltimore.



Like a lot of what he's done so far, but too soon to tell whether he can pull it all together into a winning team.


What I like is how he has been able to get those bad contracts off the book w/o giving out new bad ones. He's brought in players that aren't going to be around for the long-term but kept the deals to 1 or 2 yrs and 6M/yr or less. And in doing so they could keep Roberts and I think he's going to be pretty valuable for this team when they start peaking and most of the team is still in arb.

Whether or not they can climb the AL East mountain is another matter.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 170)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm

kab21 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
B-Chad wrote:What about Andy McPhail? He really seems to be stockpiling a nice collection of young talent in Baltimore.



Like a lot of what he's done so far, but too soon to tell whether he can pull it all together into a winning team.


What I like is how he has been able to get those bad contracts off the book w/o giving out new bad ones. He's brought in players that aren't going to be around for the long-term but kept the deals to 1 or 2 yrs and 6M/yr or less. And in doing so they could keep Roberts and I think he's going to be pretty valuable for this team when they start peaking and most of the team is still in arb.

Whether or not they can climb the AL East mountain is another matter.


A lot of good points here and what Mcphail has done in the last few years here in Baltimore largely goes unnoticed but he certainly deserves a spot among the top 5 GM's. He just hasnt made any real mistakes, whether it is via trades or FA pickups, and that is a pretty large part of being a competent manager. But being that they are in the same division as the best professional team of all time, The New York Yankees, i highly doubt Baltimore will be able to leap them until they commit to some big time free agents in the near future.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 924
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
A lot of good points here and what Mcphail has done in the last few years here in Baltimore largely goes unnoticed but he certainly deserves a spot among the top 5 GM's. He just hasnt made any real mistakes, whether it is via trades or FA pickups, and that is a pretty large part of being a competent manager. But being that they are in the same division as the best professional team of all time, The New York Yankees, i highly doubt Baltimore will be able to leap them until they commit to some big time free agents in the near future.


So far he's shown the patience to not push too hard for any of these big-name FA's until his core is peaking (or at least in the majors). I'm not even sure that they need to make big moves but instead pick out these big values that are out there in FA for a team with some money to spend. Like Adam Dunn next season. almost a perfect match at 1B in the middle of all of those bats they have.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 170)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby B-Chad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:39 am

kab21 wrote:
Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
A lot of good points here and what Mcphail has done in the last few years here in Baltimore largely goes unnoticed but he certainly deserves a spot among the top 5 GM's. He just hasnt made any real mistakes, whether it is via trades or FA pickups, and that is a pretty large part of being a competent manager. But being that they are in the same division as the best professional team of all time, The New York Yankees, i highly doubt Baltimore will be able to leap them until they commit to some big time free agents in the near future.


So far he's shown the patience to not push too hard for any of these big-name FA's until his core is peaking (or at least in the majors). I'm not even sure that they need to make big moves but instead pick out these big values that are out there in FA for a team with some money to spend. Like Adam Dunn next season. almost a perfect match at 1B in the middle of all of those bats they have.


I think another part of this is NOT signing big name free agents so that as they peak they can afford to pay Wieters/Jones/Reimold/Tillman/Matusz/Arietta etc. when they become arbitration eligible and ultimately free agent eligible. Signing a guy like Dunn next year to a short term deal, thus allowing his contract to come off the books before the kiddies start getting paid would seem to be key for McPhail and the Birds. Judging by the contracts he's given out thus far (or perhaps the ones he has not if you prefer look at it that way) I'd say he recognizes this. Results will be tough to come by in the AL-East as the Rays have a solid nucleus as and the Red Sox and the Yankees are who they are, premier big market teams who are now also devoted to their farm system. Add to it that the J's seem to be taking necessary steps in the right direction and the rough and tumble AL-East we see today may be nothing compared to what's to come...
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2213
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good article about NL FAIL

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:38 am

The NL and AL need some rearranging IMO.

Angels <-> Padres
Orioles or Jays <-> Nationals
And the entire city of Tampa Bay needs to be moved west about 1200 miles.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact