Beltre to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltre to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beltre to Boston?

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:48 am

This is essentially one year, 10 million dollar deal. Not too bad. Basically the equivalent of signing Penny and Smoltz last offseason.

And Adrian will be traded to Boston - this just delays it (and it wasnt happening this offseason anyways) until this trading deadline or next offseason when a ton of money comes off the books, Ortiz and Lowell are gone and Beltre will probably jettison to another team for a better deal (5 m for the second season with a 1 m buyout). Should be a spectacular defense - a slew of former Gold Glove winners (Cameron, Youk, Beltre, Dustin) and Drew, Jacoby (in LF) and Scutaro are above average defensively.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Ortiz is a FA after this year so it wouldn't shock me. Heck they could even send Big Papi back to SD and pay his salary the rest of the year.

what?

look the padres may not have much money, but they aren't country bumpkins.

The reason they are looking to move Adrian is because they have another 1B ready. Heck they'll have two corner infielders running around in the outfield next season and about three more corners behind them in the minors, coming fast ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 am

Tavish wrote:
stevethumb wrote:and the sox ease the congestion at the corners by moving casey kotchman to the mariners for a minor leaguer and bill hall (ugh)...GM Trader Jack Zd is a genius

Sweet, M's get Kotchman so I doubt they resign Branyan. The chances of the Royals out-homering the M's just got better. ;-D

Just wait until they trade Jose Lopez.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:23 am

wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Ortiz is a FA after this year so it wouldn't shock me. Heck they could even send Big Papi back to SD and pay his salary the rest of the year.

what?

look the padres may not have much money, but they aren't country bumpkins.

The reason they are looking to move Adrian is because they have another 1B ready. Heck they'll have two corner infielders running around in the outfield next season and about three more corners behind them in the minors, coming fast ...

I thought the reason they were looking to move Adrian is that the team isn't going to be competing for a playoff spot in the next 2-3 years.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 am

What would Ortiz do in SD? Pinch hit and spit into his gloves and clap?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 am

KCollins1304 wrote:What would Ortiz do in SD? Pinch hit and spit into his gloves and clap?

The same thing he would do in Boston if they traded for Gonzalez. Except in SD his isn't a distraction for a team fighting for a playoff spot.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am

KCollins1304 wrote:What would Ortiz do in SD? Pinch hit and spit into his gloves and clap?

On the record, I'm offended by this post.
Off the record, it made me laugh. :-D
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:47 am

kab21 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
stevethumb wrote:and the sox ease the congestion at the corners by moving casey kotchman to the mariners for a minor leaguer and bill hall (ugh)...GM Trader Jack Zd is a genius

Sweet, M's get Kotchman so I doubt they resign Branyan. The chances of the Royals out-homering the M's just got better. ;-D

Just wait until they trade Jose Lopez.

If Lopez got traded or hurt it could be an interesting race for HR futility, right now the Royals are in the drivers seat. Oakland could be a dark horse though, I keep forgetting how craptastic that lineup is.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Tavish wrote:If Lopez got traded or hurt it could be an interesting race for HR futility, right now the Royals are in the drivers seat. Oakland could be a dark horse though, I keep forgetting how craptastic that lineup is.

jake fox - 30+ :-D
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:And Adrian will be traded to Boston - this just delays it

With a sense of entitlement like this, it really is almost shocking that people have issues with some Sox fans, isn't it? :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers