Beltre to Boston? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltre to Boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beltre to Boston?

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 pm

nsulham wrote:Sorry to poop in the punch bowl wr but I think it's a deal that's just a matter of time in the making. I remember reading something that Adrian somewhere along the line said other than SD, Boston would be at the top of his list of available places he'd want to go. That, coupled with the front offices familiarity with each other and the (likely) available Sox prospects it would take to make a deal and I'd say it's got a good chance of happening.

Yet by this happening, either someone has to get injured at the corners or, eep, Big Papi gets the Big Boot. That would be a shocker to think about at this time.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:39 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
nsulham wrote:Sorry to poop in the punch bowl wr but I think it's a deal that's just a matter of time in the making. I remember reading something that Adrian somewhere along the line said other than SD, Boston would be at the top of his list of available places he'd want to go. That, coupled with the front offices familiarity with each other and the (likely) available Sox prospects it would take to make a deal and I'd say it's got a good chance of happening.

Yet by this happening, either someone has to get injured at the corners or, eep, Big Papi gets the Big Boot. That would be a shocker to think about at this time.

Yeah that's the thing it would create a logjam for sure but if you have a chance to acquire a guy like Gonzalez, you do it and worry about the logjam later. My best guess (if it went down mid-season) is they would make due for a half-season and rotate the heck out of guys, with likely Papi sitting most of the time if he's hitting like crap (which is certainly a possibility) and then Beltre moving on in the offseason, which would shift Youk to third and open first for Gonzalez full-time.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Ortiz is a FA after this year so it wouldn't shock me. Heck they could even send Big Papi back to SD and pay his salary the rest of the year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Therein lies the problem...not about the poop punch, but about Hoyer's familiarity with the Sox system. When Hoyer says "yeah this package is ok, throw in Drake Britton and it's a deal" ... Hoyer knows the Sox system as well as anyone else and many mega deals are based on prospects that one team values more than another. Theo would likely be like "Who TF is Blake Dritton...I mean Drake Britton and why is he the key to this deal?"

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 pm

and the sox ease the congestion at the corners by moving casey kotchman to the mariners for a minor leaguer and bill hall (ugh)...GM Trader Jack Zd is a genius
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Interesting. Sox were ~fourth in Earned Runs last year, IIRC. Subtract Bay and Lowell and now add Lackey, Beltre, and Killa Cam? Wow, I like it for them a lot. I applaud Theo of going this route instead of handing Bay 60+ million
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby B-Chad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Beltre to Boston makes me so sad. I love you Adrian and wish you nothing but the best. You will be missed. But this is still sad. First Cammy and now Beltre. %-6

Sox fans, get used to seeing Beltre's awesomeness every single day. :,-(

Boston got Cameron and Beltre for roughly the same amount that the Mets paid Bay. This is why the Red Sox are good and the Mets suck. :-b

well that was fun to watch, really wanted to see him in a Giants uniform this year but it looks like he wants to build up his value for a bigger contract next year. I expect the Giants will try to overpay for him once that happens.

It is painful how much this resonates with me... and I completely agree with your logic/thinking :,-(
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:30 am

stevethumb wrote:and the sox ease the congestion at the corners by moving casey kotchman to the mariners for a minor leaguer and bill hall (ugh)...GM Trader Jack Zd is a genius

Sweet, M's get Kotchman so I doubt they resign Branyan. The chances of the Royals out-homering the M's just got better. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am

Tavish wrote:
stevethumb wrote:and the sox ease the congestion at the corners by moving casey kotchman to the mariners for a minor leaguer and bill hall (ugh)...GM Trader Jack Zd is a genius

Sweet, M's get Kotchman so I doubt they resign Branyan. The chances of the Royals out-homering the M's just got better. ;-D

A wise man I knew once said, "if you set your standards low enough, you'll always succeed."

A wise Neato Torpedo added, "unless you're the Royals."

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:42 am

couple of points of points on this...

to the best of my knowledge Adrian never said that, but no doubt a Boston reporter spun it that way though. The quote was probably something like "yeah i'd have no problems playing in Boston", and then it got spun to "Adrian wants Boston!!".. Remember Jake Peavy? He wanted to play in Atlanta, or so said the Atlanta media.

Ken made a great point about the front offices familiarity with each other, and how it might hamper any deal, I tend to agree. Also Kevin Towers and Boy Wonder were best of friends, so I don't see how any relationship or familiarity there might change.

No doubt the padres front office knew everyone in Bostons system inside and out before we recruited Hoyer.

I bet Depo keeps it on his Blackberry ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers