Intro to keeper leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Intro to keeper leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Intro to keeper leagues?

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 am

My two cents:

If you're looking to make the dive into keeper leagues, start with leagues that have a thin keeper system. You don't want to jump into a dynasty league, screw up badly your first year, and then pay the price for years and years.

Regarding pure dynasty leagues, where you keep as many players as you want with no contracts or limits, I wholeheartedly recommend that you either join one that's been around for a very, very long time or don't join one at all. In fact, I would say this about any league system that is set up to punish you for mistakes for more than one year. Because of the harsh system those leagues promote, they tend to churn through owners and then fold rather quickly.

Finally, in the words of Madison, rebuilding is nice, but you should play for the win every year possible. Keeper leagues are subject to people coming back the next year. Since you never know for sure the league will be around next year, the best time to win is now.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby kellythemick » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:08 am

StlSluggers wrote: rebuilding is nice, but you should play for the win every year possible.
;-D

Given the vagaries of each season I would take out even this qualifier.
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby garf112 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:17 pm

if you aren't playing to win every year, you aren't playing correctly.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:08 pm

garf112 wrote:if you aren't playing to win every year, you aren't playing correctly.

Agreed. The worst part of keeper leagues is when people decide to give up two out of three years in order to amass a great team every three years.

But largely, there are so many different flavors of keeper leagues, that its' tough to answer "what they entail"

The three major factors of any keeper league (aside from the categories and number of teams - which is universal) are:
1. The number of keepers allowed
2. How long you can keep players
3. What it costs to keep them.

#s 2 and 3 cause the most variation.

For instance, there is one common keeper set up where you just keep your top "x" players. Say it's 5 keepers. Everyone has 5 keepers and then you draft. In a 12 team league, it pretty much means that the top 60 each year will be kept, with some bias towards players outside the top 60, who are young and have significant upside (e.g. Upton, Gallardo, Bruce, Brett Anderson)

Another common keeper set up is where you again keep "x" players, but this time the cost is based on where you drafted them (or in an auction league - what you paid for them). Clearly Albert Pujols is better than Joey Votto, but in a league where you drafted Votto in the 18th round or paid $4 for him last year, then keeping Votto in the 15th round or for $7 (most keeper leagues inflate the cost of keepers each year) is a much more attractive value than keeping Pujols again for $50. In these leagues, it's more about keeping the most value as opposed to the best players.

But the most frustating thing you'll come against in any keeper league is people giving up this year in order to amass value for next year. Someone who doesn't think they can win the championship will trade away their entire team in May for Colby Rasmus and Matt Weiters, which will basically give another team the championship. There are some ways you affect this (by limiting keepers, limiting trades, making some prospects ineligible to be traded before a certain window, etc.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:07 pm

garf112 wrote:if you aren't playing to win every year, you aren't playing correctly.

meh. for 2010, i will find myself in the first, true rebuilding phase of my keeper career. i put everything i had into 2009 and took on some players that i knew i couldn't retain. and while i lost in the first round, i did make the playoffs and won a nice bit of cash in the weekly prize pool during the year. it was either do that, or field an average team and hope for some good luck on the WW two years in a row.

if i have to choose between definitely making the playoffs one out of two years or hoping to make the playoffs for two years, i'd rather do the former.

it is a cash league after all
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby flloyd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:

Agreed. The worst part of keeper leagues is when people decide to give up two out of three years in order to amass a great team every three years.

I've got to disagree to an extent. Depending on the number of keepers and their costs their are definitely times when it would make sense to have a rebuilding season. If your keepers are so weak that you have close to zero chance of winning, what's the point in fielding a Pirates-like team for a year if you can help yourself for the future. Of course your league's rules must allow a deep enough keeper pool and rules to make this a viable option. In no-cost, 3-keepers leagues it will never make sense to rebuild since it's pretty much impossible to do so at the beginning of the season.

I also think that if the league is set up with the right rules tanking should be of little if any concern.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Mighty Trow » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:58 am

if you start in a small keeper league (recommended), remember that you'll still have good players to draft in the early rounds - you might even get the same players right where you could have taken them. No point in keeping Youkilis in the 3rd round if there's a good chance he'll fall to you there anyway!
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:51 am

hear hear
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 am

wrveres wrote:

hear hear

Unless you're picking up an orphan that Mookie dropped off at the dumpster.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 pm

wrveres wrote:

hear hear

This settles it, I need to go trade Jesus Montero, Aaron Hicks and Westmoreland for Konerko and Felipe Lopez in my 24 team, 35 player keeper because it gives me a better shot at winning this year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers