H2H ESPN League ... Playoff Strategy Problem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

H2H ESPN League ... Playoff Strategy Problem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H ESPN League ... Playoff Strategy Problem

Postby htmt519 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 am

Last year I dominated the regular season in my ESPN 10-team H2H 6x6 league (QS's and OPS were the extra categories). I got the #1 seed. Then the playoffs came around, and I made it all the way to the "World Series" round. On the first day of the two-week round, the guy I was playing against proceeded to drop all of his pitchers and pick up only pitchers pitching that day to accumulate QS's, K's, IP's and Wins. The next day he'd drop all of his pitchers and do it again. None of these pitchers were on his team the whole season, but he won because he turned over his entire pitching roster every day of the last week of the season, with no danger of his players being picked up by other teams since the season was over. Therefore, the entire value of the draft and mid-season moves were diminished, and I lost because I didn't change out my ENTIRE pitching roster EVERY day.

My question is: fair strategy, or bush league? Next season, would it be fair to lock all rosters at the start of the postseason except for bona fide injuries? Or, am I just bitter?
htmt519
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H ESPN League ... Playoff Strategy Problem

Postby BoBtheMule » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 am

it's bush league but also poor planning on the league manager's part. Either a transaction limit for the entire season via the espn settings, a manual rule that limits transactions in the playoffs or locked rosters (least preferable) for the playoffs was needed. Unless you're playing with close friends who have a gentleman's agreement something is needed to help avoid the "win at all costs" owners from churning pitching staffs.

Marshall
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby htmt519 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks ... that's what I thought. I'll suggest some kind of transaction limit in the postseason, which seems to be in the middle of the two extremes (a limit for the whole season, or full blown roster locking).
LET'S GO METS!
htmt519
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Clearly the wholesale changing of all pitchers is not right. It seems in the playoffs that two transactions a week would be plenty and no pickups should be allowed from the teams that did not make the playoffs. Their rosters should be frozen.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby aplviper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am

I don't care for streaming and have never done it myself, but if it's not against the rules, I see no problem with doing what it takes to win.
aplviper
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner