Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
fezzik wrote:I've played with only one of the managers before (smoovethug). From looking at the selections, it seems to me they gave a lot of weight to the qualifications aspect and experience. Montana and I laid out a pretty detailed fantasy history (him even moreso than myself). That may have helped us. Maybe they liked my weak trash talk...I really don't know. I DO think they tried to choose the best competition for the league, but all they had to go on was a few posts in this thread to determine aptitude and fantasy knowledge.


Well, FWIW, I voted based off the folks I know who have some track record of playing in a Cafe league or two. If they didn't have that, I voted for the people who just seemed to want to be in the league more than the others. Those guys who put in follow-up posts about when this thing is going to take off and/or kept re-stating their case. It's little things like that which made all the difference.

That said, voting who would participate is kind of lame. With something like this, we'd have to take most applicants' word for it without a whole lot to go on with. Showing a Yahoo profile is nice, but what good is that if we didn't know the strength of the leagues those folks were playing in.

Like I said, having a 2nd Cafe league of the non-experts not making the cut, with the top 3 advancing is the best way to resolve the ECL for next year. Play your way to get in. ;-D


Great idea. Any of the non-selected want to organize this?
Image
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 6487
(Past Year: 43)
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:51 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Seriously, the ECL should be like the Premier League and the rest of you non-experts will be the fizzy pop league. Top 3 finishers of that league will be next season's ECL non-expert participants.


That means I should get relegated because of last year :(


Ha, didn't mean it that way. There's no bottom falling out into the second-tier league. It's just that the top 3 non-experts in the second league replace the non-expert players that played the prior year.


Actually, it might not be a bad idea---make those experts at the bottom pay a little more attention in September :)
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
That means I should get relegated because of last year :(


Ha, didn't mean it that way. There's no bottom falling out into the second-tier league. It's just that the top 3 non-experts in the second league replace the non-expert players that played the prior year.


Actually, it might not be a bad idea---make those experts at the bottom pay a little more attention in September :)


Maybe the bottom 3 should lose their expert icons. }:-)
Image
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 6487
(Past Year: 43)
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 pm

When this thread starts up next year, we need to set a O/U on # of times the word Experts will be written in quotations in an attempt to devalue those it is referencing.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby fezzik » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm

bigh0rt wrote:When this thread starts up next year, we need to set a O/U on # of times the word Experts will be written in quotations in an attempt to devalue those it is referencing.


Maybe by then you'll be considered an "expert"...? Image :-b

No, to be honest it would be cool to get one of those mug icons or expert icons...I would really enjoy that. And I have respect for these guys. There aren't a ton of expert icons floating around here and I'm sure they've all deserved them. ;-D
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:04 am

bigh0rt wrote:When this thread starts up next year, we need to set a O/U on # of times the word Experts will be written in quotations in an attempt to devalue those it is referencing.

Or the term "so-called".
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:35 am

Image
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 6487
(Past Year: 43)
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:05 am

rookies and cream wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
fezzik wrote:I've played with only one of the managers before (smoovethug). From looking at the selections, it seems to me they gave a lot of weight to the qualifications aspect and experience. Montana and I laid out a pretty detailed fantasy history (him even moreso than myself). That may have helped us. Maybe they liked my weak trash talk...I really don't know. I DO think they tried to choose the best competition for the league, but all they had to go on was a few posts in this thread to determine aptitude and fantasy knowledge.


Well, FWIW, I voted based off the folks I know who have some track record of playing in a Cafe league or two. If they didn't have that, I voted for the people who just seemed to want to be in the league more than the others. Those guys who put in follow-up posts about when this thing is going to take off and/or kept re-stating their case. It's little things like that which made all the difference.

That said, voting who would participate is kind of lame. With something like this, we'd have to take most applicants' word for it without a whole lot to go on with. Showing a Yahoo profile is nice, but what good is that if we didn't know the strength of the leagues those folks were playing in.

Like I said, having a 2nd Cafe league of the non-experts not making the cut, with the top 3 advancing is the best way to resolve the ECL for next year. Play your way to get in. ;-D


Great idea. Any of the non-selected want to organize this?



I don't have any time to set it up but i would love to be a part of this 2nd cafe league
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 943
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 8 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm down for the other league
Image
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2150
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:50 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I'm down for the other league


You were also close. I'd like to see you, Axis, AEMRICH, jake_harv, carnac, kmoneybags, silverZ, Element, NYMetsIn2k4, Bloody Sox, warpigs, Captain Furtah, and philliebuster in this league, though others are deserving as well.
Image
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 6487
(Past Year: 43)
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Long Island, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact