Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Think you can beat the cafe experts? (2010 Edition)

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
fezzik wrote:I've played with only one of the managers before (smoovethug). From looking at the selections, it seems to me they gave a lot of weight to the qualifications aspect and experience. Montana and I laid out a pretty detailed fantasy history (him even moreso than myself). That may have helped us. Maybe they liked my weak trash talk...I really don't know. I DO think they tried to choose the best competition for the league, but all they had to go on was a few posts in this thread to determine aptitude and fantasy knowledge.

Well, FWIW, I voted based off the folks I know who have some track record of playing in a Cafe league or two. If they didn't have that, I voted for the people who just seemed to want to be in the league more than the others. Those guys who put in follow-up posts about when this thing is going to take off and/or kept re-stating their case. It's little things like that which made all the difference.

That said, voting who would participate is kind of lame. With something like this, we'd have to take most applicants' word for it without a whole lot to go on with. Showing a Yahoo profile is nice, but what good is that if we didn't know the strength of the leagues those folks were playing in.

Like I said, having a 2nd Cafe league of the non-experts not making the cut, with the top 3 advancing is the best way to resolve the ECL for next year. Play your way to get in. ;-D

Great idea. Any of the non-selected want to organize this?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:51 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Seriously, the ECL should be like the Premier League and the rest of you non-experts will be the fizzy pop league. Top 3 finishers of that league will be next season's ECL non-expert participants.

That means I should get relegated because of last year :(

Ha, didn't mean it that way. There's no bottom falling out into the second-tier league. It's just that the top 3 non-experts in the second league replace the non-expert players that played the prior year.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea---make those experts at the bottom pay a little more attention in September :)
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
That means I should get relegated because of last year :(

Ha, didn't mean it that way. There's no bottom falling out into the second-tier league. It's just that the top 3 non-experts in the second league replace the non-expert players that played the prior year.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea---make those experts at the bottom pay a little more attention in September :)

Maybe the bottom 3 should lose their expert icons. }:-)
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 pm

When this thread starts up next year, we need to set a O/U on # of times the word Experts will be written in quotations in an attempt to devalue those it is referencing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby fezzik » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm

bigh0rt wrote:When this thread starts up next year, we need to set a O/U on # of times the word Experts will be written in quotations in an attempt to devalue those it is referencing.

Maybe by then you'll be considered an "expert"...? Image :-b

No, to be honest it would be cool to get one of those mug icons or expert icons...I would really enjoy that. And I have respect for these guys. There aren't a ton of expert icons floating around here and I'm sure they've all deserved them. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:04 am

bigh0rt wrote:When this thread starts up next year, we need to set a O/U on # of times the word Experts will be written in quotations in an attempt to devalue those it is referencing.

Or the term "so-called".

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:35 am

rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:05 am

rookies and cream wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
fezzik wrote:I've played with only one of the managers before (smoovethug). From looking at the selections, it seems to me they gave a lot of weight to the qualifications aspect and experience. Montana and I laid out a pretty detailed fantasy history (him even moreso than myself). That may have helped us. Maybe they liked my weak trash talk...I really don't know. I DO think they tried to choose the best competition for the league, but all they had to go on was a few posts in this thread to determine aptitude and fantasy knowledge.

Well, FWIW, I voted based off the folks I know who have some track record of playing in a Cafe league or two. If they didn't have that, I voted for the people who just seemed to want to be in the league more than the others. Those guys who put in follow-up posts about when this thing is going to take off and/or kept re-stating their case. It's little things like that which made all the difference.

That said, voting who would participate is kind of lame. With something like this, we'd have to take most applicants' word for it without a whole lot to go on with. Showing a Yahoo profile is nice, but what good is that if we didn't know the strength of the leagues those folks were playing in.

Like I said, having a 2nd Cafe league of the non-experts not making the cut, with the top 3 advancing is the best way to resolve the ECL for next year. Play your way to get in. ;-D

Great idea. Any of the non-selected want to organize this?

I don't have any time to set it up but i would love to be a part of this 2nd cafe league
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm down for the other league
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:50 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I'm down for the other league

You were also close. I'd like to see you, Axis, AEMRICH, jake_harv, carnac, kmoneybags, silverZ, Element, NYMetsIn2k4, Bloody Sox, warpigs, Captain Furtah, and philliebuster in this league, though others are deserving as well.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers