Jeter and AROD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikcou » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:28 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Dude86 wrote:Jeter's hype and fame is because of 3 things

1. Good Looks
2. He plays for the New York Yankees
3. Clutch postseason performance

Been away for a few weeks, and look what i find with my 1st post of the night. :-o Cancel #3.

maybe cancel it for here but out in the world people believe that he is clutch
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:35 am

i have 2 admitted jeter isnt overrated we should just say he is well OVERPAYED for what he is doing. Just look at a guy angel berroa in his 1st year he almost produced simliar numebrs to a typical jeter except for the runs and a little lower average. If angel keeps up this pace he will become a player like jeter except not for the yankees for now and also look at his price compard to jeter.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KULCAT » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:42 am

Look i think anyone who follows fantasy baseball can agree Jeter is overrated by the casual fan. Obviously if you pay 18 mill a year for a guys who´s not one the best hitters in baseball you will get bashed. You cant even use his position as an excuse cause the guy isnt a good defensive SS either. But the way some people are talking about him its like youre describing me Neifi Perez. Jeter is a good hitter. Having a .317 career average is not "fairly fine" its pretty damn good. Just think of all the hitter in this power era of baseball that dont match up to that. Too say Jetes now is a the 7º SS in baseball in ludicrous basically because youre giving guys that barely have a succesful career the nod over him.
Im Braves fan and i can tell you that having a promising rookie season followed byt 2 misserable ones and a great year on a season everybody in your team clicked does not constitute a great career for a player but it could get to be one. Same goes for Berroa, Cabrera and even Renteria who up to last year was a good SS but not a star. Maybe if this year he does the same people can think of him as top 3 SS but until he does i would take Jeter first. With this bash Jeter logic youve also picked Pat Listach ahead of him.
Jeter is not great but certainly not that bad either.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:59 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Dude86 wrote:Jeter's hype and fame is because of 3 things

1. Good Looks
2. He plays for the New York Yankees
3. Clutch postseason performance

Been away for a few weeks, and look what i find with my 1st post of the night. :-o Cancel #3.

I agree DJ is overrated, because NYY fans think he has a good glove, and the notion he's been clutch. But when comparing him to other ss in history, he's a future HOF ss. Ripken is overrated because of streak, but underrated as a ss. I think Cal is the 3rd best ss ever. As was stated, DJ OPS+ is better, but Cal's numbers dropped alot after age 30. Before 30, he was better then DJ is at 30.

I only counted the OPS for Ripken's first 8 years compared to Jeters. I realized his age would hurt his stats so I took his first 8 years in the bigs.

I can admit Jeter is overpayed for the stats he puts up. But as a Yankee fan I'd gladly pay that price for the things that don't show up on the stat sheet like leadership and the fact that he has been the soul of this team leading us to world series after world series.

Saying Jeter is the 7th best shortstop IS talking about fantasy. You say you are talking about real life however you mention people who have had 1 or 2 good years. Jeter's been doing it since he stepped foot on the diamond. To say you'd take Renteria or Furcal over him is using fantasy baseball and strictly statistics for only a couple years as your backup.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers