Jeter and AROD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter and AROD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:04 pm

My only counter is that you are only looking at stats that favor Ripken. RBIs are largely contingent on who hits around you and where you hit in the order. So are runs, of course, but you ignore this category because it is more favorable to Jeter. You also don't look at batting average--Jeter has a .40 higher career mark, and 6 .300 seasons in 8 years vice 6 on 20 years for Ripken. Jeter also ha a career OBP that is nearly 50 points higher. You also ignore steals. We all know that Ripken hits more HRs, there is a lot of other stuff that Jeter does better.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:51 pm

Jeter does destroy Ripken in runs but I realize that is more of a surroundings thing. However On Base Percentage isn't. Here is Jeter's on base percentages compared to Ripkens.

Ripken
1982- .317
1983- .371
1984- .374
1985- .347
1986- .355
1987- .333
1988- .372
1989- .317

Jeter
1996- .370
1997- 370
1998- .383
1999- .438
2000- .416
2001- .377
2002- .373
2003- .393

So is hits.

Ripken
'82- 158
'83- 211
'84- 195
'85- 181
'86- 177
'87- 157
'88- 152
'89- 166

Jeter
'96- 183
'97- 190
'98- 203
'99- 219
'00- 201
'01- 191
'02- 191
'03- 156

If you add the first 8 years of Ripken's hits and then Jeter's, then Jeter beats him by nearly 200 hits. This is not including Jeter's stolen bases also. Jeter has 178 steals so far in his career. Ripken's whole 21 year career tallies up to 36 stolen bases.

And then there's average.

I don't feel like writing each year down but I'll leave you with the career totals:

Jeter- .317
Ripken- .276

I agree Jeter was very overrated. Any guy off the street who doesn't follow baseball closely will say Jeter is the best player if asked in most cases. However I believe he has been overrated so much by these people that people here at the cafe tend to underrate him. Just because he doesn't hit 40 homeruns and drive in 150 runs doesn't mean he's overrated or he sucks. He's not that type of hitter. He is the type of guy that sets the table for the power hitters. If it wasn't for guys like Jeter then guys like A-Rod wouldn't get any RBI's. Therefore Jeter is just as valuable as Ripken.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:25 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:However I believe he has been overrated so much by these people that people here at the cafe tend to underrate him. Just because he doesn't hit 40 homeruns and drive in 150 runs doesn't mean he's overrated or he sucks. He's not that type of hitter. He is the type of guy that sets the table for the power hitters.

So you mean he's the type of guy who plays terrible defense, hits for good average, and steals a few bases. Nobody denied that. SB's aren't very important in real life anyway. He isn't even a top 6 SS, yet he's one of the highest paid players in baseball. It's ridicurous.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:28 pm

LBJackal wrote:
ajgdrummer7 wrote:However I believe he has been overrated so much by these people that people here at the cafe tend to underrate him. Just because he doesn't hit 40 homeruns and drive in 150 runs doesn't mean he's overrated or he sucks. He's not that type of hitter. He is the type of guy that sets the table for the power hitters.

So you mean he's the type of guy who plays terrible defense, hits for good average, and steals a few bases. Nobody denied that. SB's aren't very important in real life anyway. He isn't even a top 6 SS, yet he's one of the highest paid players in baseball. It's ridicurous.

It's already been said he's not a good fielder. My post was referring to offense. And to say he's not a top 6 shortstop is ridiculous, not that fact that he's paid alot.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:36 pm

Fantasy he's been good, but real life, I'd take Renteria, Tejada, A-Rod, Nomar, Furcal, and Cabrera over him. They're all far better defensively, and better or comparable offensively. This is real life I'm talking about. So at best I'd say Jeter is the 7th best SS in real life.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby frog99 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:11 am

LBJackal wrote:Fantasy he's been good, but real life, I'd take Renteria, Tejada, A-Rod, Nomar, Furcal, and Cabrera over him. They're all far better defensively, and better or comparable offensively. This is real life I'm talking about. So at best I'd say Jeter is the 7th best SS in real life.

ditto.

jeter has a career OPS+ of 122 Ripken of 112

so jeter has a slight edge there, but have to factor in the second half of Ripken career which ofcorse deflated his number. Ripken also won 2 gold gloves and moved to thirdbase when his team needed him to.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:29 am

Then you obviously discount Jeter's leadership and excellent postseason play. Anyone has to admit Jeter seems to step it up in the postseason.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:41 am

hey stat geeks you gotta be kidding me with all the jeter hating. Fantasy wise he might not put up the biggest power numbers. But don't knock his "real-life" value. Saying he is the 7th best SS in real life behind Cabrera, Furcal, et all is utterly ridiculous. Obviously you guys don't appreciate the fact that Jeter is as big a money player as anyone in baseball. Torn ligamnets in his thumb and he still leads the team in hitting throughout the playoffs. how did Nomar and Tejada do on the big stage? Jeter has been the heart and soul of that team since his rookie year. I'd gladly take him over anyone save Arod, but that isn't a problem because the Yankees already have them both.
Tell the Mets, Red Sox, A's, Atlanta and everyone lese the Yanks have rolled over in the playoffs that Jeter is a bust, and see how far you get

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Dude86 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:49 am

Jeter's hype and fame is because of 3 things

1. Good Looks
2. He plays for the New York Yankees
3. Clutch postseason performance

So basically if he put up the same numbers but he was an ugly man, and played for a losing Pirates team that never made it to the postseason he would be nothing.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:10 am

Dude86 wrote:Jeter's hype and fame is because of 3 things

1. Good Looks
2. He plays for the New York Yankees
3. Clutch postseason performance

Been away for a few weeks, and look what i find with my 1st post of the night. :-o Cancel #3.

I agree DJ is overrated, because NYY fans think he has a good glove, and the notion he's been clutch. But when comparing him to other ss in history, he's a future HOF ss. Ripken is overrated because of streak, but underrated as a ss. I think Cal is the 3rd best ss ever. As was stated, DJ OPS+ is better, but Cal's numbers dropped alot after age 30. Before 30, he was better then DJ is at 30.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers