Position Scarcity for 2010? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position Scarcity for 2010?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Position Scarcity for 2010?

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:12 am

With rankings already debuting in the Cafe, I figure it'd be a good time to discuss position scarcity for this year. What position(s) do you guys feel have the biggest drop off after a certain amount of players? I know it's not first base!
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Position Scarcity for 2010?

Postby fast dogs » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 pm

the left side of the infield falls off pretty quickly after the top 4 or 5; really I'm most concerned with 3rd base as the deeper options at SS don't get so ugly so fast
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:30 pm

fast dogs wrote:the left side of the infield falls off pretty quickly after the top 4 or 5; really I'm most concerned with 3rd base as the deeper options at SS don't get so ugly so fast

I have to agree with you at SS, but I don't see drop that quick at 3rd (4-5), although in keeper leagues you'll lose two for next yr, where Zobrist/SS and Beckham/3rd are good for this yr, I'd imagine they'll be 2nd base only for 2011.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby dannahann » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:50 pm

Ranking them scarcest to deepest in 12 team mixed leagues I see it as C, 3B, SS, 2B, OF, 1B.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby da bears » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:12 pm

dannahann wrote:Ranking them scarcest to deepest in 12 team mixed leagues I see it as C, 3B, SS, 2B, OF, 1B.

I agree with this list here. Although there are plenty of decent options at C there are very few elite or potentially elite options.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fast dogs » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:33 pm

yea, 3rd base actually runs a few more spots down before you run out of good alternatives. Catchers I really thought didn't have many for star power but even the options into the teens were acceptable. A few years ago you almost wanted guys from the catchers spot that wouldn't hurt you, last year & this I think you get production from a large # of teams. Maybe I should add I don't draft catchers until the 20th round so I'm not expecting as much
I just know I struggled to find a good 3rd basemen last year in a couple deep leagues where we use the corner position too; I think that could be the same situation again this year for the hot corner where you expect to put up #'s. If you get 60-70 RBI from your C position and runs & sb's from SS you can get by w/o a star player; but 3rd base can leave you hurting if you wait to get yours
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Ender » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:43 pm

I play in leagues with 5 OF, UT, CI and MI and generally speaking I dont 'want to walk out of the early rounds without 3 CI/OF (one of which should be a 3B if at all possible). The big reason is that CI don't get SB so it can be hard to find useful CI late in the draft in deep leagues. At SS/2B you can usually find some 10 HR, 15 SB guy who is about as good as most of the mid tier guys but if you are skimping by with a 20 HR, .230 hitting CI you are way behind the rest of the league. Anyone with an OF/CI or MI/CI type split usually ends up in the OF or MI as well and most teams fill their UT with one. It dries up a lot faster than people expect, even the 1B options but especially the 3B.

In a more traditional shallow league I'd think I'd go for the MI first instead.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pochucker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 pm

My biggest concern is 3b , only a few sure things. Also our league uses specific OF positions and RF is looking mighty light.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers