Magazines - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magazines

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Magazines

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:28 am

bigken117 wrote:The fanball "high stakes players" magazine has Ellsbury #5 overall. X-I

I don't find that overly ridiculous. In my sportsline dynasty league (6x6 with batter K's), he was the #2 ranked hitter last year. Not saying he should be #5 overall, but I do think he has 2nd round value, particularly with Reyes' steals not a given this year.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 am

I don't find that overly ridiculous. In my sportsline dynasty league (6x6 with batter K's), he was the #2 ranked hitter last year. Not saying he should be #5 overall, but I do think he has 2nd round value, particularly with Reyes' steals not a given this year.

that is crazy to put him at #2, and still nuts to put him at 5 but i can see sox fans making the arguement. i would never draft an OF for just steals in the 2nd round. you can make the case for reyes because he plays a much more shallow position, but at OF thats crazy. thats one of the reasons why i've always felt crawford is overdrafted but he at least doesn't kill you in HR/RBI like ellsbury does.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Montana168 wrote:

that is crazy to put him at #2, and still nuts to put him at 5 but i can see sox fans making the arguement. i would never draft an OF for just steals in the 2nd round. you can make the case for reyes because he plays a much more shallow position, but at OF thats crazy. thats one of the reasons why i've always felt crawford is overdrafted but he at least doesn't kill you in HR/RBI like ellsbury does.

I didn't say they put him at #2, I said he was ranked there at the end of the season. I also don't understand why you think Ellsbury loses significant value to Reyes solely due to position scarcity. OF is not nearly as deep as it may seem.

BTW, Ellsbury's MDP is 26. I see no problem drafting him there.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:32 pm

I didn't say they put him at #2, I said he was ranked there at the end of the season. I also don't understand why you think Ellsbury loses significant value to Reyes solely due to position scarcity. OF is not nearly as deep as it may seem.

wow, how was he ranked ahead of kemp and crawford, assuming braun is #1? that is just dumb, IMO. yes, ellsbury is probably the best speedster in fantasy baseball right now, but i don't think SB should be ranked as high because it only a stolen base only affects 1 category, whereas if a player hits a homer, you get a run, HR, rbi, and a boost in avg...4 cats. i know maybe im biased because i hate the sox, but i can still look at the stats objectively. the only elite stat ells provides is sb, everything else is good/mediocre.

ells 09 stats: .301-94-8-60-70

other guys ranked (ESPN) in 2010 around the same spot:
troy tulo 09: .297-101-32-92-20
mauer 09: .365-94-28-96-4 (altho i'd never draft a catcher this early)
kinsler 09: .253-101-31-86-31
longo 09: .281-100-33-113-9

i'd even take holliday or sizemore ahead of ells. maybe it's just my draft strategy, so everyone has their preferences, but cheap speed can be had later like bourn (.285-97-3-35-61) but i prefer to grab the big power/speed combo guys like kinsler, kemp, tulo early and draft an entire team of double digit speed guys, rather than rely on 1 player for my sb.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Montana168 wrote:

wow, how was he ranked ahead of kemp and crawford, assuming braun is #1? that is just dumb, IMO.

Actually, he was ranked the #2 hitter behind Albert. Of course, I did mention in my initial post that it was a 6x6 with batter K's as the final category. Obviously the HR are a weakness, but the 300 AVG, 94 R, 74 K (an elite number in its own right) and 70 SB makes him anything but a 1 category monster. I would also contend that 60 RBI is better than you can expect from 75% of the speed guys out there, too.

yes, ellsbury is probably the best speedster in fantasy baseball right now, but i don't think SB should be ranked as high because it only a stolen base only affects 1 category, whereas if a player hits a homer, you get a run, HR, rbi, and a boost in avg...4 cats.

Of course, but I think his rank in that particular instance is reliant more on the combination of dominant SB and Ks, along with very good AVG and R production.

i prefer to grab the big power/speed combo guys like kinsler, kemp, tulo early and draft an entire team of double digit speed guys, rather than rely on 1 player for my sb.

I definitely agree with the merits of this strategy, as it tends to guard against a category crippling injury, a la Reyes 09. I'm just saying there's a reason behind his high ranking in certain publications (and in my league). Again, if you're a more risk avoidant kind of drafter, you probably would drop him a few spots, and I'd see no fault in that. Personally, I like him late 2nd/early 3rd over some of the other options available at that point.

i hate the sox

Can't find anything wrong with this... :-D
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:43 pm

No magazines again for me. No way. Wrote the following column right before the fantasy football season. The first step of breaking the addiction is admitting you have a problem ...

http://www.chinstrapninjas.com/falling-off-the-fantasy-magazine-wagon/

Falling off the Fantasy Magazine Wagon

For 144 days, I stayed clean from my addiction.

It wasn't easy. The withdrawal symptoms. The sleepless nights. The cold sweats and headaches and the need to satisfy my craving. Through it all, I stood strong. I resisted the urge.

That is, until Friday night. During my dinner break at The Daily Item newspaper, I had an innocent yearning to check out the magazine rack at Weis Markets across the street.

That was my first mistake.

The rack was small, with a wide variety of magazines stuffed into a limited amount of spots. Of course, my eyes—honed by my addiction—knew just where to look. Darting past the Home & Gardens and Vanity Fairs, my gaze fell immediately upon the row of sports magazines, and the newly stocked offering of fantasy football guides.

Like a Weight Watcher flunkee at a Chinese buffet, I couldn't hold myself back.

I picked up the ESPN fantasy football magazine, flipped through the pages and soaked in the information. Player rankings, draft cheat sheets, full-color pages. I stopped myself. Looking at a magazine would lead to buying it.

I needed to be there as much as a recovering drug addict needed to be at OzzFest. There was just too much stimuli. I needed to leave. I put down the ESPN guide and scanned the rack one last time. Or so I thought.

Luckily, Fanball was nowhere to be seen. Fanball fantasy magazines are my kryptonite. It was a Fanball fantasy baseball magazine that I bought on Groundhog's Day—144 days ago.

The NFL.com fantasy football magazine caught my attention. Sparkly cover. Colorful, glossy inside pages. Still not necessary. In this, the information age, fantasy magazines are as antiquated as, well, the newspaper. Everything you'd ever need to know about preparing for a fantasy sport can be found online. For free.

Sites like chinstrapninjas.com, bleacherreport.com, fantasyfootballcafe.com, and a host of others basically eliminate the need to ever throw $7.99 (and up) at a magazine.

And, so, I put down the NFL.com guide and took a deep breath of relief. I was going to make it. Except, my eyes betrayed me. Those unwavering, copy-editing, backstabbing eyes.

One magazine, buried by a slew of Lindy's fantasy guides, was different. My curiosity overrode my common sense, and guided my hand to the brown cover. Within seconds, I was looking at the fantasy magazine equivalent of ecstasy.

The cover, defined by the close-up dimples of a football, was simple and yet complex. It was made out of a heavy, plastic-like, water-resistant material.

The inside pages were no less impressive. Colorful, glossy and chock full of page design perfection. My skin broke out in goosebumps. The hair on the back of my neck rose. No kidding. It was as if the magic goose from the Jack and the Beanstalk story had hidden a golden egg on the magazine rack.

I closed my eyes for a moment and sighed. When I opened them again, somehow, I was back in The Daily Item breakroom eating, but not tasting, leftover chicken parmesan and opening my newly purchased copy of the Sports Illustrated fantasy football magazine. Thank goodness for the drool-proof cover.

As I read, the magic of the moment slowly passed. The incredible packaging of the magazine dressed up, but didn't change, the fact that this was just another fantasy football magazine.

In the middle of the first story—"20 Burning Questions" that fantasy football owners want answered according to Sports Illustrated gridiron gurus—SI's David Sabino gets to question No. 7: Who is the safer pick, Tom Brady or Matt Cassell?

I don't read the answer. I don't need to. I don't need Sabino to tell me that Tom Brady should be drafted ahead of Matt Cassell in fantasy football circles. Tom Brady in a wheelchair and wearing eye patches on both eyes would outscore Cassell in fantasy points this year.

Finally, reason and common sense are starting to seep back into my consciousness. I just paid $7.99, plus tax, for someone to tell me what I already know — or easily could have found online at my favorite free websites, such as chinstrapninjas.com and the fantasyfootballcafe.com.

More nuggets of rehashed information in that first article continue to slap me in the face ... that Brandon Marshall will likely blow up in his respective fantasy owners' faces ... that it may not be smart to draft Plaxico Burress ... that Brett Favre would have the most fantasy value of himself, Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison if all three find themselves starting somewhere on opening day ... that the only guarantee for 2009 for fantasy owners is that there are no guarantees.

I slip into depression. I hate myself for being so weak, for letting my addiction ruin what was going on four months of sobriety.

And my eyes — the slick, vengeful little pranksters that they are — drive the ice pick deeper into my back when they see a typo on page 12. It appears that the word "gantlet" is missing a "u" ... much like my wallet is missing eight bucks.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby William Shea » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 am

Today is a great day! my wife just called me to say that my Forecaster has finally arrived! *yay* :-D
-Patrick-
playing Fantasy Baseball more or less successfull since '05
William Shea
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 63)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 am

William Shea wrote:Today is a great day! my wife just called me to say that my Forecaster has finally arrived! *yay* :-D

Just wait until you start reading it. Your day will get even better. I'm very impressed with it.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 am

Lindy's out now as well
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby mocabeenow » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:06 pm

my buddy and I spend hours at barnes&nobles a week before our draft. And we do this in March where there is about 20 to pick up, plus newly published books and baseball almanacs.

I almost looked forward to it more than Christmas morning.

1. Draft Day
2. Barnes and Nobles Day
3. Christmas

~Moc

Also, my wife sometimes throws in a magazine for Valentine's Day. What a lady!
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers