Vote off Athlete of the Decade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Vote off Athlete of the Decade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vote off Athlete of the Decade

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 pm

knapplc wrote:At least an athlete won this thing. That's something to hang our collective hat on.

Oh God, here we go again! While many golfers might not be NEARLY as athletic as the other top guys on this list, if you think Tiger is not an athlete just cause he's a golfer, than I give up :-b
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
knapplc wrote:At least an athlete won this thing. That's something to hang our collective hat on.

Oh God, here we go again! While many golfers might not be NEARLY as athletic as the other top guys on this list, if you think Tiger is not an athlete just cause he's a golfer, than I give up :-b

Tiger is athletic, sure, but he is not representative of golfers. Tiger pioneered the concept that golfers should be fit and athletic-looking. Before him most were relatively average-build guys. Use John Daly or Lefty as your example and see how silly that argument is.

Golf is a skill, not a sport. Its contemporaries are billiards, auto racing, darts, croquet, bowling, etc. There is nothing aerobic or strength-specific about it. I'm in crummy shape right now and I could go walk 18-36 holes tomorrow. I couldn't bike up l'Alpe d'Huez without training for a year, easy.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm

knapplc wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

Tiger is athletic, sure, but he is not representative of golfers. Tiger pioneered the concept that golfers should be fit and athletic-looking. Before him most were relatively average-build guys. Use John Daly or Lefty as your example and see how silly that argument is.

Golf is a skill, not a sport. Its contemporaries are billiards, auto racing, darts, croquet, bowling, etc. There is nothing aerobic or strength-specific about it. I'm in crummy shape right now and I could go walk 18-36 holes tomorrow. I couldn't bike up l'Alpe d'Huez without training for a year, easy.

Since I was talking about Tiger, and not golfers in general, I agree completely (with the first paragraph, that is) ;-D

As for the second half, I'll leave it be in the interests of this not turning this into an endless debate about the athletic/non-athletic merits of golf and what it takes to be a superlative player, etc. ;-)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby TheRock » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Golf requires the ability to swing an object and hit a ball with speed and accuracy. It's roughly as athletic as playing DH. :-)
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:46 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:As for the second half, I'll leave it be in the interests of this not turning this into an endless debate about the athletic/non-athletic merits of golf and what it takes to be a superlative player, etc. ;-)

Fair enough. I gather there was some previous debate on this subject that I'm not privy to. I don't need to dredge that up.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm amazed that Lance pulled this one out. The Lance bandwagon seemed intent on making you think about a guy's ball sac while the Tiger bandwagon went the "think of hot chicks having sex" route. I would expect these results at the Football Cafe but not here.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:37 pm

No kidding. Those football guys are so fem.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm amazed that Lance pulled this one out. The Lance bandwagon seemed intent on making you think about a guy's ball sac while the Tiger bandwagon went the "think of hot chicks having sex" route. I would expect these results at the Football Cafe but not here.

Don't hate on the nut.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Bonds got robbed.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:46 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Bonds got robbed.

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUULLLAXSEED
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero