Vote off Athlete of the decade (nominations) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Vote off Athlete of the decade (nominations)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Vote off Athlete of the decade (nominations)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:09 am

Haile Gebrselassie
Gold medals in 1,500, 3,000, 5,000, 10,000 meters.
Set 27 world records!!
Twice set the world record for marathon. Current marathon world record holder at 2:03:59 set at the age of 35.
The dude ran 30 km in an hour 27 8-o

The greatest runner in history living in obscurity because all Americans can see is Ryan Hall (no disrespect to Ryan Hall).
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Tim Duncan is worth a nomination.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Does Jimmie Johnson of NASCAR fame count as an Athlete?

If so, he deserves a nomination.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:49 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Does Jimmie Johnson of NASCAR fame count as an Athlete?

If so, he deserves a nomination.

I was just about to mention him. That is if you consider driving around in circles a sport.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:10 pm

So a tentative list:

NFL:Brady, Manning
NBA: Bryant, Duncan
MLB: Pujols, Bonds, A-Rod
Golf: Woods
Cycling: Armstrong
Swimming: Phelps
MMA: Money Mayweather
NHL: Lindstrom
Soccer: Ronaldinho
NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson
Running: Haile Gebrselassie
Tennis: Federer

I admit i know little about Hockey and Soccer, but Lindstrom and Ronaldinho seem like good choices.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:16 pm

All of these guys with the exception of Federer come from north american sports. Think about how few people in the world play football, baseball and hockey (forget about Nascar). No soccer players?

When you take out factors such as the need for equipment, facilities and teammates the one thing that every athlete can do is run. How few people can afford to or get the opportunity to play golf or race on an oval? Over 6 billion people in the world run. More than 100,000 people apply annually to run the NYC marathon. Haile Gebrselassie has dominated this decade at multiple distances. Tim Duncan, Jimmie Johnson and Peyton Manning are douchebags compared to Haile.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:40 pm

thedude wrote:So a tentative list:

I admit i know little about Hockey and Soccer, but Lindstrom and Ronaldinho seem like good choices.

I'm pretty meh on including Jimmie Johnson. I'm totally on board the two NFL selections of Brady and Manning. For the NBA, I think you've got to go with Bryant and O'Neil who was an All-Star every year this decade aside from '08, won 4 Championships (played in 5), same as Kobe. I think Duncan just misses the list because of Shaq. I'd also give the hockey nod to Martin Brodeur, if you're going to go with just one hockey player. Arguably the best net minder of all-time, and he was the best hockey player of the decade as far as I'm concerned.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:04 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

I'm pretty meh on including Jimmie Johnson. I'm totally on board the two NFL selections of Brady and Manning. For the NBA, I think you've got to go with Bryant and O'Neil who was an All-Star every year this decade aside from '08, won 4 Championships (played in 5), same as Kobe. I think Duncan just misses the list because of Shaq. I'd also give the hockey nod to Martin Brodeur, if you're going to go with just one hockey player. Arguably the best net minder of all-time, and he was the best hockey player of the decade as far as I'm concerned.

Good point on the Hockey. However, I think Duncan was more consistant than Shaq this decade. Shaq was very domiant at the early years, but faded in the middle and end. Duncan was a ten time all-star (Shaq 9), 2 time MVP (Shaq 1), 7 all defense first teams. I guess we could include Shaq as well though.

NBA: Bryant, Duncan, Shaq
NHL: Lindstrom, Martin Brodeur

That gives us 18. 2 more to make a round number would probably work. Any ideas on other Soccer players? Messi?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:10 pm

thedude wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Good point on the Hockey. However, I think Duncan was more consistant than Shaq this decade. Shaq was very domiant at the early years, but faded in the middle and end. Duncan was a ten time all-star (Shaq 9), 2 time MVP (Shaq 1), 7 all defense first teams. I guess we could include Shaq as well though.

NBA: Bryant, Duncan, Shaq
NHL: Lindstrom, Martin Brodeur

That gives us 18. 2 more to make a round number would probably work. Any ideas on other Soccer players? Messi?

Other soccer players worth considering would be Thierry Henry, Lionel Messi, and Cristiano Ronaldo, but I'd probably just keep it at Ronaldinho as the lone soccer representative. I'd probably just cut Jimmie Johnson, Haile Gerbrunner, and Shaq or Duncan and just roll with 15.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:12 pm

I agree with h0rt I think Shaq gets the nod over Duncan. He accomplished more in a 10 year span than Duncan did. Just to add, Shaq won 4 championships on 2 different teams, to Duncan's 3 with the same team this decade, he was also the NBA scoring champion in 2000. Shaq was the All Star MVP 3 times this decade, appeared in 3 feature films(also more TV shows than I care to count), and dropped three albums. Not that those last ones matters that much. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk