My 2010 Hitter Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My 2010 Hitter Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My 2010 Hitter Rankings

Postby ILoveBush » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:46 pm

After 2008 and Sandoval's .345 average, I went into 2009 very skeptical of his chance to repeat his strong call up performance. I had him in a dynasty league and I was torn as to what to do with him. I thought about not keeping him or trying to trade high. I thought for sure that someone with his weight and lack of walks would regress over a full season. But all he did was improve upon his small 2008 sample size.

While I'm sure he will be a bit overvalued going into 2010, it isn't because he had a fluke year. It's only because he had a great year. He has sustained success for over 700 PAs and that is enough in my book to know that he is the real deal.

There is a SanFran Chronicle article today that discusses Sandoval losing 12 pounds during a 3 week boot camp. This guy is doing everything the Giants ask of him in order to become a great baseball player. He also has hit .395 in 20 Venezuelan winter ball games.

I am thankful that I don't have to worry about valuing him in my dynasty league, and maybe I won't draft him in any redrafts, but the guy is legit.
Dave not George W
ILoveBush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zachadoodelldoo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 am

ILoveBush wrote:I am thankful that I don't have to worry about valuing him in my dynasty league, and maybe I won't draft him in any redrafts, but the guy is legit.

This is really my point, in dynasty leagues and keeper leagues it's a no brainer to keep him. I'm only talking about re-drafts. I talked it over with friends of mine in our league and they all agreed with me, they would rather have Michael Young at a likely later pick then take Sandoval at his inflated draft position. That doesn't mean he won't out perform Young or he's not legit, it's just about value. People will over-pay when players have big years, he's coming off a big year so his price will be artificially high. Worth having as your Thirdbasemen, but is he worth the draft position you'll have to use to get him? That I'm sceptical on.
Zachadoodelldoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:51 pm

What qualifies as inflated for Sandoval? I got him in the late 4th round in one of the 'holics mocks going on here and felt that was a bargain.

I think his power is pretty legit. His minor league power numbers really took off once he reached High A. He hit 31 homers in 849 at bats compared to just 4 homers in 912 at-bats. By comparison, Brian McCann hit 36 in 1091 at-bats or 34 in 991 at-bats when you toss out his rookie ball season. Since High A, Pablo's current MLB numbers are pretty close in line with his minors numbers and you can figure the benefits of not playing catcher like he did in the minors is a plus for sustaining.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers