My 2010 Hitter Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My 2010 Hitter Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My 2010 Hitter Rankings

Postby kab21 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:58 pm

Ender wrote:I think Sandoval was a bit of a fluke last year and expect his 2010 numbers to regress pretty significantly. I'd still take him over Young.

Regress significantly?

BA should come down a little (maybe .310). but fewer than 25 HR's, 90 RBI's and 79 R's? I think he can easily get those numbers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 am

Morneau is so low I love it.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm

kab21 wrote:
Ender wrote:I think Sandoval was a bit of a fluke last year and expect his 2010 numbers to regress pretty significantly. I'd still take him over Young.

Regress significantly?

BA should come down a little (maybe .310). but fewer than 25 HR's, 90 RBI's and 79 R's? I think he can easily get those numbers.

I'm not sure I'll project him to hit over .300 to be honest. 25 HR would be the upper limit of my likely projection. I haven't got to CI yet so I don't know exactly what I'll end up projecting him as but I'm sure it won't be as high as most.

I'd still take him over Young though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I agree with Miguel Montero being too low. I'd probably take him in the Top-5 catchers overall. He intrigues me a lot more than an aging Posada or Kurt Suzuki, that's for sure.

Mark Reynolds is the biggest question mark of the draft, imo.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Timgeorge2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Is there more than meets the eye with Asdrubal Cabrera. I always seem him getting ranked higher than I had expected, but I never really considered him to be the greatest fantasy asset? He had a pretty good average last seasonand 17 steals, but I don't really see much power there or potential for power.

What are your thoughts on this guy? He just turned 24 so that's the good news.
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Ender wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Regress significantly?

I'm not sure I'll project him to hit over .300 to be honest. 25 HR would be the upper limit of my likely projection. I haven't got to CI yet so I don't know exactly what I'll end up projecting him as but I'm sure it won't be as high as most.

I'd still take him over Young though.

I probably like him a little more than you but agree that most people probably overrate him some. I think he can easily hit .300 but the power and counting stats are what I question a little...I've got him down for 22 and reaching 200RBI/R will be a tough task in that lineup.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby TribeIn2012 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 am

Timgeorge2 wrote:Is there more than meets the eye with Asdrubal Cabrera. I always seem him getting ranked higher than I had expected, but I never really considered him to be the greatest fantasy asset? He had a pretty good average last seasonand 17 steals, but I don't really see much power there or potential for power.

Roberto Alomar and Omar Vizquel had a baby and his name was Asdrubal Cabrera.

Just Kidding. B-)

But seriously this is one of the most talented players in all of the MLB. I love his speed and I feel as he gets older more power will come. He had a very ruff '08 (sophomore slump?) but last year is what I think we can expect from him from here on out (and then some.) I admit as a Cleveland fan I am biased but this kid is the real deal.
TribeIn2012
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 am

Timgeorge2 wrote:Is there more than meets the eye with Asdrubal Cabrera. I always seem him getting ranked higher than I had expected, but I never really considered him to be the greatest fantasy asset? He had a pretty good average last seasonand 17 steals, but I don't really see much power there or potential for power.

How is 42 2B's and 4 3B's for power potential?

What I do like that he's a good baseball player that gives him a high floor of production and that he should do well in every category (I think he can hit 10+ HR's next year). And he is eligible at 2B and SS.

What I don't like is that he was dinged up a lot last year and other than BA he isn't really good in any category.

the same argument can be applied to yunel Escobar also. neither is really a great fantasy player but they have a high floor (no Aviles type warning signs) and seemingly had constant nagging injuries.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 pm

A lot of it comes from people not realizing he had a .362 BABIP last year. His average is more like to be in the .280 range than over .300 again. He certainly is an upside guy and you have to keep in mind he didn't start the season playing full time but he also has a little downside in the fact he hit in the top 3 of the lineup most of last year, if he slumps a little to start he could easily find himself batting 7-9 and lose value. He is a risk/reward type of guy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wingman3110 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 pm

very nice
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager