thanks for posting!!
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My 2010 Hitter Rankings

Postby fezzik » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:29 am

I don't think Coghlan qualifies at 2B in 2010.

I like your rankings in general, though I would definitely move a few guys around...but isn't that always the case. I would be disturbed if your rankings mimicked my own. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:39 am

Looks good. I agree with moving Cruz down a bit, though I like him a lot also.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Zachadoodelldoo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:45 pm

I will say that I applaude your effort, it takes a lot to put a list like this together, and people are always going to have problems with it. So I'll start with mine.

The biggest error is you don't have B.J. Upton anywhere on this list. I have to believe most people would put him somewhere in their top 100 outfielders. If there's a place for Wladmir Balentein there has to be a place for Bossman Junior.

Another issue from my standpoint is I think it is a mistake to put Ben Zobrist ahead of Aaron Hill. Granted he's got multiple position eligibility and more steals, but Hill has a track record, while Zobrist's show of power is way outside of any standard diviation from his career norms. If you've got Zobrist he's worth keeping but he is the person you're going to over-pay for more in upcoming re-drafts. Same with Pablo Sandoval, might be for real, might be a One Year Wonder, but I'd take Zimmerman, Youkilis, Ramirez, and maybe Young before him.

Other than that it's just a tweak here and there, thanks for putting the list together and getting the conversation going.
Last edited by Zachadoodelldoo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zachadoodelldoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TribeIn2012 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Wow, I can't believe I forgot Upton man. I waited on doing him when it came to outfielders because I wanted to look up more info that usual, and I completley forgot to come back to him. Thanks for pointing that out I am going to work on his projection and get him in the OF list and probably top 50 players overall list as well.
TribeIn2012
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Timgeorge2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:41 am

Zachadoodelldoo wrote:I will say that I applaude your effort, it takes a lot to put a list like this together, and people are always going to have problems with it. So I'll start with mine.

The biggest error is you don't have B.J. Upton anywhere on this list. I have to believe most people would put him somewhere in their top 100 outfielders. If there's a place for Wladmir Balentein there has to be a place for Bossman Junior.

Another issue from my standpoint is I think it is a mistake to put Ben Zobrist ahead of Aaron Hill. Granted he's got multiple position eligibility and more steals, but Hill has a track record, while Zobrist's show of power is way outside of any standard diviation from his career norms. If you've got Zobrist he's worth keeping but he is the person you're going to over-pay for more in upcoming re-drafts. Same with Pablo Sandoval, might be for real, might be a One Year Wonder, but I'd take Zimmerman, Youkilis, Ramirez, and maybe Young before him.

Other than that it's just a tweak here and there, thanks for putting the list together and getting the conversation going.

Michael Young before Pablo Sandoval? Interesting. You realize that Pablo beat Young in 4 of 5 categories last year and only had 3 less steals. I know that was last year, but it's gotta mean something. Nevermind the fact that the Kung-Fu Panda is about a decade younger than Young.

Pablo Sandoval is a great young player that has always impressed me. Just watch him play...
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zachadoodelldoo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:33 am

You left out the "Maybe" part of my quote. It really depends on what your league is, what your needs are and what you personally value.

Sandoval had a great year for a young player. I'm assuming we're talking re-draft leagues because if we're talking keeper leagues I bet Sandoval won't be abailable.

Young has a career to base his projections on, Sandoval has one year in the bigs. If you are drafting for this season only, I think Young is more predictable. Me, I'd rather take a sure thing like Young and back it up with a risky pick like Brandon Wood then over-pay for a one year sample-size of Pablo Sandoval.

What I can say for sure is if I was re-drafting there would be someone willing to pay more or draft him higher then I would, and I'd have no problem "falling back" on Michael Young. I look at people like Geovany Soto, Jorge Cantu, Ryan Ludwick, and Stephen Drew who were all keepers in my league. These were players that their teams were counting on them to repeat their numbers from 2008 and they didn't. Cantu and Ludwick weren't terrible, but all of them regressed in 2009. Sandoval might be a good young player, but so was Soto, how did that work out for his owners. The guy who fell back on Jorge Posada was a whole lot happier this year.
Zachadoodelldoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby silverZ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:00 pm

2 things that stand out to me: Holliday is too high. I would take Kemp,Crawford and Sizemore over him no question. He's too high in the overall rankings too, I wouldn't consider him in the first much less in the top 5. Second is Hill. I would move him up over Zobrist. I could see a case for taking Zobrist over him but not ACab.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Timgeorge2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Zachadoodelldoo wrote:You left out the "Maybe" part of my quote. It really depends on what your league is, what your needs are and what you personally value.

Sandoval had a great year for a young player. I'm assuming we're talking re-draft leagues because if we're talking keeper leagues I bet Sandoval won't be abailable.

Young has a career to base his projections on, Sandoval has one year in the bigs. If you are drafting for this season only, I think Young is more predictable. Me, I'd rather take a sure thing like Young and back it up with a risky pick like Brandon Wood then over-pay for a one year sample-size of Pablo Sandoval.

What I can say for sure is if I was re-drafting there would be someone willing to pay more or draft him higher then I would, and I'd have no problem "falling back" on Michael Young. I look at people like Geovany Soto, Jorge Cantu, Ryan Ludwick, and Stephen Drew who were all keepers in my league. These were players that their teams were counting on them to repeat their numbers from 2008 and they didn't. Cantu and Ludwick weren't terrible, but all of them regressed in 2009. Sandoval might be a good young player, but so was Soto, how did that work out for his owners. The guy who fell back on Jorge Posada was a whole lot happier this year.

To each his own. I guess that's what makes this such a great game. Everyone has their own perspective. I've always been a guy that prefers to take chances on young guys and I let someone else take the crusty old veterans that are probably more likely to regress. For every Soto, there's a Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Lind, Mark Reynolds, or Jacoby Ellsbury. In the post-steroid era, the young guys rule the roost. For every Posada, there's a Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, or Chipper Jones.

Maybe I just like young players...

I know Pablo put up great numbers last season, but I watched him do it and was always impressed with him. With Sandoval, it wasn't just about his numbers, it was the fact that he was so impressive of a day to day basis. I'd have to imagine that most (a big most) people would choose Pablo over Young.
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:58 pm

I think Sandoval was a bit of a fluke last year and expect his 2010 numbers to regress pretty significantly. I'd still take him over Young.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers