Real gun trumps paintball guns. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Real gun trumps paintball guns.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Real gun trumps paintball guns.

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Madison wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Maybe not victims, but let's not kid ourselves here. They could have been killed. Do I agree they should feel the full force of the law after pulling such a moronic prank in such a dangerous area? Of course, but I don't think it's really too off center to call them victims when they could easily be dead right now. It's not like the real gun shooters were firing warning shots, they were trying to kill them.

That's like going out and playing in traffic and then wanting to go after the drivers for vehicular homicide. :-b

Oh, and the article did say one of the teenagers did get "hit in the hand", so he might have actually learned a lesson if the bullet did any real damage and not just a scrape or something. ;-D

If the drivers were aiming at them then yes, it's vehicular homicide. That's pretty much the definition.

I'm not too much into guns as teaching tools. This vigilante self-policing thing should have ended with the wild west.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:31 pm

This jerk threw a snowball at my house so I hit him with my baseball bat. I broke his arm and shattered his kneecap. Now he can't run around throwing snowballs at people's houses! Isn't that awesome?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
You are joking right?

No he's not. :-/

Of course I'm not joking, I don't play kiddie games where someone breaks the law, acts like a complete idiot, and then screams "victim!" when they are the ones that created the situation themselves for them to be hurt. You pull a gun on someone or something and fire or threaten to fire (even paintball guns in this case), then you created the atmosphere where you might get shot. Simple as that. Which is no different than going out and playing in the street.

Paintball guns can do serious damage to flesh, so good luck trying to argue that they are "fake", but here, you can argue this one if you like:

In the meantime, Colorado zombies were content to adhere to the no-Nerf policy, especially after learning that they could be charged with violations of the student-conduct policy or even arrested on charges of unlawful conduct.

"We told them that the violation of the weapons policy is a serious thing," said Mr. Hilliard. "If a third party happened upon this and called 911, we'd have to respond as if it were a real incident."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/11/university-expands-gun-ban-to-nerfs/?page=2
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:56 pm

Madison wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
You are joking right?

No he's not. :-/

Of course I'm not joking, I don't play kiddie games where someone breaks the law, acts like a complete idiot, and then screams "victim!" when they are the ones that created the situation themselves for them to be hurt. You pull a gun on someone or something and fire or threaten to fire (even paintball guns in this case), then you created the atmosphere where you might get shot. Simple as that. Which is no different than going out and playing in the street.

I'm not debating the kids should get in trouble or that they put themselves in the situation. I am not debating that they are complete idiots. I am just shocked that you actually believe the retaliation of the gunman with a real gun is justified. That's unbelievable. Are you saying justice would have been served if the gunman had shot and killed one or both of the offenders? I read the parts you conveniently left out and it says the gunman took the paintball gun from the kids before he even started shooting at them. It's not as if he felt threatened and was defending himself from what he might have thought was somebody trying to shoot and kill him.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:07 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I'm not debating the kids should get in trouble or that they put themselves in the situation. I am not debating that they are complete idiots. I am just shocked that you actually believe the retaliation of the gunman with a real gun is justified. That's unbelievable. Are you saying justice would have been served if the gunman had shot and killed one or both of the offenders? I read the parts you conveniently left out and it says the gunman took the paintball gun from the kids before he even started shooting at them. It's not as if he felt threatened and was defending himself from what he might have thought was somebody trying to shoot and kill him.

I'm saying I wouldn't have cared if the gunman had killed both of the kids. They created the situation (and it certainly wasn't a "minor" infraction or anything), so I have no sympathy in this case. A couple less idiots in the gene pool as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, I posted it up because I found it amusing that not one, but two kids (at least one of which is 18 and "supposed" to be an adult) thought it was a good idea to shoot paintballs at cars and homes, and to top it off, they were dumb enough to do it in gang territory. :-b Just thought it was way too funny not to share how dumb these two were. The right idea was going with the "marksmanship fail" comments, which were perfect for me to mention that I don't often see gang members in shooting ranges :-b , but oh no, someone just had to protect these idiot kids that don't deserve protecting. Thanks Aqua. ;-) :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:23 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:This jerk threw a snowball at my house so I hit him with my baseball bat. I broke his arm and shattered his kneecap. Now he can't run around throwing snowballs at people's houses! Isn't that awesome?

This is a true story, by the way. Madison, are you proud of me?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:This jerk threw a snowball at my house so I hit him with my baseball bat. I broke his arm and shattered his kneecap. Now he can't run around throwing snowballs at people's houses! Isn't that awesome?

Yeah, and I've got a big green statue holding a torch I want to sell you. :-D But to play along...

Broken arm probably would have done the trick, but making sure by taking out the knee doesn't bother me any.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
thedude wrote:The article calls the kids victims. It should probably say moron or delinquent.

I noticed that too. Nice slant. No wonder we have this ridiculous sense of entitlement all around us anymore. :-°

Maybe not victims, but let's not kid ourselves here. They could have been killed. Do I agree they should feel the full force of the law after pulling such a moronic prank in such a dangerous area? Of course, but I don't think it's really too off center to call them victims when they could easily be dead right now. It's not like the real gun shooters were firing warning shots, they were trying to kill them.

I guess they are technically victims in that they had a crime commited against them, but they are also criminals. They were not actually killed and it was possible that they could have seriously injured or killed an innocent with thier reckless behavior. Though that might not have been the intent, it was a legit possibility. They did not deserve to be physically harmed You tell us where  for thier conduct.

Therefore the article could have also described these people as criminals, but it chose to use the word victim, which I found interesting. Not saying they deserved to harmed, just that they are not innocent, though the word victim often carries that conotation.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:04 am

Madison wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

Yeah, and I've got a big green statue holding a torch I want to sell you. :-D But to play along...

Broken arm probably would have done the trick, but making sure by taking out the knee doesn't bother me any.

W-wait, I was just kidding! :-o I didn't actually do that. Would you really approve?!

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:22 am

A blind man could have seen where this thread was going from the original post.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk