Figgins' '10 Position(s) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Figgins' '10 Position(s)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Figgins' '10 Position(s)

Postby OrangeWave » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:58 am

Anyone hear talk of Figgins moving from 3rd?
OrangeWave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Figgins' '10 Position(s)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:13 am

Depends. Figgins isn't their ideal 3B candidate for 2010, and the M's are exploring ways to fill 3B with someone else (Beltre, Lowell, etc) so that Figgins can move to 2B, Lopez could move to 1B, and Carp could either go down to AAA or stay up as a bench bat/DH. I doubt we'll see much of Figgins in LF in 2010, with Bradley and probably Saunders both ahead of him in the depth chart, so it's really down to 2B and 3B.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Depends. Figgins isn't their ideal 3B candidate for 2010, and the M's are exploring ways to fill 3B with someone else (Beltre, Lowell, etc) so that Figgins can move to 2B, Lopez could move to 1B, and Carp could either go down to AAA or stay up as a bench bat/DH. I doubt we'll see much of Figgins in LF in 2010, with Bradley and probably Saunders both ahead of him in the depth chart, so it's really down to 2B and 3B.

I agree and disagree. I think they'd be more than happy to let Figgins be the regular 3B. Certainly there were (and still are) scenarios where it makes sense to bring Betre back (which would be awesome), but it won't be to move Loafie to first. He loses all his value if he moves.

If Loafie gets dealt for a team-controlled 1B (like Loney perhaps), then I could see Figgins going to second and Beltre coming back. Otherwise the upgrades just aren't cost-effective. I really don't think there's any chance Lowell ends up in Seattle.

But I'd agree that LF is probably set and that Figgins will either be at third or second.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Pretty much echoes what Figgins said on the MLB Network. He said he's going to play 3B and/or 2B while batting 1st of 2nd, either behind or in front of Ichiro. I could envision him seeing time at both positions if the Mariners acquire a more platoon bat to play 3B. I'd really like for Figgins to get 2B eligibility for my fantasy team though.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Depends. Figgins isn't their ideal 3B candidate for 2010, and the M's are exploring ways to fill 3B with someone else (Beltre, Lowell, etc) so that Figgins can move to 2B, Lopez could move to 1B, and Carp could either go down to AAA or stay up as a bench bat/DH. I doubt we'll see much of Figgins in LF in 2010, with Bradley and probably Saunders both ahead of him in the depth chart, so it's really down to 2B and 3B.

I agree and disagree. I think they'd be more than happy to let Figgins be the regular 3B. Certainly there were (and still are) scenarios where it makes sense to bring Betre back (which would be awesome), but it won't be to move Loafie to first. He loses all his value if he moves.

If Loafie gets dealt for a team-controlled 1B (like Loney perhaps), then I could see Figgins going to second and Beltre coming back. Otherwise the upgrades just aren't cost-effective. I really don't think there's any chance Lowell ends up in Seattle.

But I'd agree that LF is probably set and that Figgins will either be at third or second.

Oh yeah, of course they'd be happy to have Figgins at 3B. It's just that they'd be happier with him at 2B with a decent power bat at 3B (OK, not Lowell then). With Glaus off the market, the chances for Figgins staying instantly got a lot higher.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Oh yeah, of course they'd be happy to have Figgins at 3B. It's just that they'd be happier with him at 2B with a decent power bat at 3B (OK, not Lowell then). With Glaus off the market, the chances for Figgins staying instantly got a lot higher.

I suppose Beltre and DeRosa are still options with Uggla being available in a trade.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Oh yeah, of course they'd be happy to have Figgins at 3B. It's just that they'd be happier with him at 2B with a decent power bat at 3B (OK, not Lowell then). With Glaus off the market, the chances for Figgins staying instantly got a lot higher.

Now that's not true at all. :-)

They clearly value defense and know what players fit the park. Power isn't necessary, just good players. For the right player, Figgins absoutely could move to second. But suggesting the "right player" is an aging RH power hitter that can't pay defense is probably not accurate. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Verminator » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:20 am

On a completely unrelated topic of the same player, how will Figgs' SB production be impacted with his move to Seattle and likely change to 2nd in the batting order?

His SB production declined towards the end of last season and SB opportunities have declined in recent years. Also, I know that Scoscia liked to run quite a bit.

Do y'all see Figgins as a 40 SB candidate next year?
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers