100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rodney to the Angels...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rodney to the Angels...

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:05 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Why are teams throwing $$$ at non-elite relievers? This is a bad idea.

Rodney's an elite reliever. 4.40 ERA Look at 2009, where he 4.56 FIP went 37 for 38 in 1.47 WHIP save opportunities. What any team with division title aspirations needs is a 4.88 BB/9 closer who can perform in clutch 0.3 WAR situations.

i wont argue that Rodney is over-rated, but his bad numbers last year were inflated by really bad outings in non-save situations

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=rodnefe01&year=2009&t=p#outco
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:22 pm

uhm so who's gonna be closing in detroit?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:26 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:uhm so who's gonna be closing in detroit?

I'm thinking Perry will get the first shot unless they sign somebody, which they might.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ensanimal » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:09 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:

I'm thinking Perry will get the first shot unless they sign somebody, which they might.

Is Zumaya done? :-?
General manager Dave Dombrowski believes right-hander Joel Zumaya is the favorite to be the Tigers' closer headed into 2010.
"If he's healthy and he remains healthy, the answer to that is yes," Dombrowski said. "But he has to do that. He's got enough experience at this time. He's been around long enough. We all know he has good enough stuff. He hasn't pitched the ninth inning on a regular basis by any means, but do I think he has a chance to do it? Yes." Zumaya, 25, put up a 4.94 and 1.81 WHIP in 29 appearances in '09, but underwent season-ending surgery to remove a bone shard from his right shoulder in August. This will all be moot if the Tigers sign Kevin Gregg, but Dombrowski is apparently optimistic enough with Zumaya's rehab to place him ahead of Ryan Perry and Daniel Schlereth on the depth chart. For now. Fantasy owners will no doubt watch how this pans out during spring training.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 91)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:25 pm

I hope Gregg doesn't sign there. It would be cool to see Zumaya, Perry and Schlereth battle for the closer gig. I love the stuff of all three, and think it's only a matter of one tightening things up a little. Would make for a headache for anyone trying to peg the right guy, but a superb value for someone if they nab one of the three and see them keep the gig all year.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Anybody who follows the Tigers knows not to have any optimism regarding the health of Zumaya or Bonderman. Every year it's the same story so until they prove otherwise I personally don't count on them to provide anything.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:32 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Why are teams throwing $$$ at non-elite relievers? This is a bad idea.

Rodney's an elite reliever. 4.40 ERA Look at 2009, where he 4.56 FIP went 37 for 38 in 1.47 WHIP save opportunities. What any team with division title aspirations needs is a 4.88 BB/9 closer who can perform in clutch 0.3 WAR situations.

i wont argue that Rodney is over-rated, but his bad numbers last year were inflated by really bad outings in non-save situations

Well no crap, but an alternate way to look at that statement is that his worst outings happened to be in non-save situations. What happens in 2010 when it happens in save situations? I bet the Angels FO will be seriously reconsidering this RP spending strategy.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Noggy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Rodney's an elite reliever. 4.40 ERA Look at 2009, where he 4.56 FIP went 37 for 38 in 1.47 WHIP save opportunities. What any team with division title aspirations needs is a 4.88 BB/9 closer who can perform in clutch 0.3 WAR situations.

Well no crap, but an alternate way to look at that statement is that his worst outings happened to be in non-save situations. What happens in 2010 when it happens in save situations? I bet the Angels FO will be seriously reconsidering this RP spending strategy.

Yeah, it's the same excuse used for Joe Borowski a few years back.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:25 am

Noggy wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Yeah, it's the same excuse used for Joe Borowski a few years back.

+1

I've never really bought into looking at "save situations," and "non-save situations," because in reality these guys are trying to make the most money they can make, and thus putting their best foot forward everytime they take the mound. The fact Rodney was worse in non-save situations then in save situations just seems to be a fortunate circumstance for him.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:41 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:

my guess is they'll sign some garbage vet with previous experience sometime in the spring (like a Dotel or someone like that) and if not let Perry/Zumaya battle it out (but as Aqua said dont expect much)

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Rodney's an elite reliever. 4.40 ERA Look at 2009, where he 4.56 FIP went 37 for 38 in 1.47 WHIP save opportunities. What any team with division title aspirations needs is a 4.88 BB/9 closer who can perform in clutch 0.3 WAR situations.

i relate it to no pressure situations (i.e. you havent had any work in 4 days, we're up/down by 4/5 runs, go get some work in)...are you really going to give your best effort in those situations?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers