Rodney to the Angels... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rodney to the Angels...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rodney to the Angels...

Postby B-Chad » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:07 am

"Reliever Fernando Rodney(notes) has reached a preliminary agreement with the Los Angeles Angels on a two-year deal worth $11 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Wednesday."

This according to Yahoo! Seems kind of like a foolish signing by the Angels to me. Rodney's a type B free agent correct?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rodney to the Angels...

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 am

Sigh.

They paid Rodney $11 million over 2 years to avoid paying Fuentes $9 million in 2011 (vesting option based on 55 IP). :-? They already have Jepsen, Arredondo, and Shields that could have provided an in-house arm that doesn't require eight digit spending.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby B-Chad » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:52 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Sigh.

They paid Rodney $11 million over 2 years to avoid paying Fuentes $9 million in 2011 (vesting option based on 55 IP). :-? They already have Jepsen, Arredondo, and Shields that could have provided an in-house arm that doesn't require eight digit spending.

Jose Arredondo was non-tendered and is undergoing TJ... but Shields is back, and Jepsen is still around.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:07 am

B-Chad wrote:"Reliever Fernando Rodney(notes) has reached a preliminary agreement with the Los Angeles Angels on a two-year deal worth $11 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Wednesday."

This according to Yahoo! Seems kind of like a foolish signing by the Angels to me. Rodney's a type B free agent correct?

It's only money and it doesn't cost a draft pick. It's pretty blah as far as a move goes though.

and they have a bunch of draft picks. 3 1st rd'ers and 2 sandwich picks at least due to Lackey and Figgins.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:25 am

kab21 wrote:
B-Chad wrote:"Reliever Fernando Rodney(notes) has reached a preliminary agreement with the Los Angeles Angels on a two-year deal worth $11 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Wednesday."

It's only money and it doesn't cost a draft pick. It's pretty blah as far as a move goes though.

and they have a bunch of draft picks. 3 1st rd'ers and 2 sandwich picks at least due to Lackey and Figgins.

Rodney peripherals were not overly impressive last year. A very good chance Fuentes and Rodney could be taking the job back and forth from each other all season long. Careful taking a Angels CL to high this year.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 am

kab21 wrote:

They do get a draft pick. Type B and turned down arbitration. Another sandwich pick for Detroit.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
They do get a draft pick. Type B and turned down arbitration. Another sandwich pick for Detroit.
I will be

I said it doesn't COST a draft pick. good news for Detroit but it's really neither good nor bad for the Angels. And I completely agree that this is one closer situation to avoid on draft day
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Why are teams throwing $$$ at non-elite relievers? This is a bad idea.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why are teams throwing $$$ at non-elite relievers? This is a bad idea.

Rodney's an elite reliever. 4.40 ERA Look at 2009, where he 4.56 FIP went 37 for 38 in 1.47 WHIP save opportunities. What any team with division title aspirations needs is a 4.88 BB/9 closer who can perform in clutch 0.3 WAR situations.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Why are teams throwing $$$ at non-elite relievers? This is a bad idea.

Rodney's an elite reliever. 4.40 ERA Look at 2009, where he 4.56 FIP went 37 for 38 in 1.47 WHIP save opportunities. What any team with division title aspirations needs is a 4.88 BB/9 closer who can perform in clutch 0.3 WAR situations.

i wont argue that Rodney is over-rated, but his bad numbers last year were inflated by really bad outings in non-save situations
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers