SI's Top 20 Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

SI's Top 20 Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: SI's Top 20 Prospects

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:14 pm

thedude wrote:He his breaking stuff is plus, his changeup projects out as a plus, and he has plus-plus command. He projects as a very good pitcher. I probably don't put him as the fourteenth best prospect, but that has nothing to do with experience.

YES, my friend, we are finally getting to the bottom of it! Regardless of experience, you as a Sox fan went to pooling him with Strasburg to now saying he is over-rated.

He literally is the most over-rated prospect in baseball. Its funny to.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:38 pm

He's not even the most overrated prospect in his own organization.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:42 am

Blah, I mentioned this in another thread but prospect rankings are a waste of time. Give it 3 weeks into the season and this list will be completely different. If any rankings need to be put in tiers it's prospect rankings. Who cares if Montero is 3rd or 8th...he's top tier. Who cares if Kelly is 14th or 26th...he's in a particular tier with 10-20 other guys, etc. Thats just me though. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:42 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
thedude wrote:He his breaking stuff is plus, his changeup projects out as a plus, and he has plus-plus command. He projects as a very good pitcher. I probably don't put him as the fourteenth best prospect, but that has nothing to do with experience.

YES, my friend, we are finally getting to the bottom of it! Regardless of experience, you as a Sox fan went to pooling him with Strasburg to now saying he is over-rated.

He literally is the most over-rated prospect in baseball. Its fu
nny to.

haha. You should read my posts before you say I said something I didin't. Read before you respond. I never pooled him starsburg. I said strasburg is the best prospect, I never said Kelly was. I also never said Kelly is the most over rated prospect. I said you logic is flawed, which it is. Becasuse you apply your argument of experience unevenly. My arguement is not who is or is not overrated, but rather your hatred of Red Sox prohibits you from making any kind of solid arguement. There are good arguements, you just do not make it.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby mblax10 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I think OP's got it backwards. There's 1 guy on this list that sticks out to me as continuously over-rated and it's Drabek not Kelly. If he doesn't have his father's name, I think he gets ranked by most in the 30-50 range.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:38 pm

This isn't SI's top prospects, this is one of the most respected people at Baseball America who is doing the ranking. SI is just posting his ranking.

And Baseball America knows more about prospects than everyone on this board combined.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby kab21 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm

mblax10 wrote:I think OP's got it backwards. There's 1 guy on this list that sticks out to me as continuously over-rated and it's Drabek not Kelly. If he doesn't have his father's name, I think he gets ranked by most in the 30-50 range.

I would take Drabek over kelly (and Bumgarner) everyday. He has a good fastball and a great curveball (some scouts (via BA) say it is a 70). And he posted excellent numbers in his first season back from TJ. If he improves that changeup to an average pitch he's going to be a great starter regardless of what his last name is.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 523)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:30 pm

bigken117 wrote:Image

He's not even the most overrated prospect in his own organization.

I didn't even see this. Bigken FTW! :-)
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jeffmerk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:26 am

I'll bump Kelly up a few notches but #14 does seem like a bit of a stretch.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:06 am

Curtis Pride wrote:This isn't SI's top prospects, this is one of the most respected people at Baseball America who is doing the ranking. SI is just posting his ranking.

And Baseball America knows more about prospects than everyone on this board combined.

This.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball