Brandon Morrow To Blue Jays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Morrow To Blue Jays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brandon Morrow To Blue Jays

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I disagree. They could have drafted him, owned the rights to him, and potentially worked out a trade with the Blue Jays to send him down. Bird in hand.

Or... They could have just worked him into a deal they've apparently been working on since the winter meetings. :-B
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I disagree. They could have drafted him, owned the rights to him, and potentially worked out a trade with the Blue Jays to send him down. Bird in hand.

Or... They could have just worked him into a deal they've apparently been working on since the winter meetings. :-B

I imagine the cost would have been less than Morrow.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Which brings us to the rumored conspiracy theories. The first one is that the M's specifically needed a reliever because it's setting up another deal.

This^
It doesn't have to be a specific player, he could just have the rough idea that they'll trade Aardsma for an X type player. Which I'm assuming is a power 1B/LF/DH. :-?

Big Pimpin wrote:The second is interesting, but it's possible that it could be the last shoe to drop as part of the Halladay/Lee deal.

Nope.....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/odds-ends-dotel-rangers-lackey.html

Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik says that the two recent trades involving the Mariners and Blue Jays were "complete, separate entities," according to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

He's not more than a throw-in in this deal. It looks like the M's just wanted to be rid of Morrow.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Well sure, but Chavez isn't the principal piece of the deal... The M's got a pretty big bullpen upgrade out of the deal as well.

Morrow is all potential, and apparently the M's don't think there's that much there. Jack has been a pretty shrewd taent evaluator both with the Brewers and in Seattle so I'll defer to his judgement. 'm not stoked about the return ater he's been linked to guys like Gamel and Brignac, but those may have simply been rumors. In any case, I can totally nderstand why both teams did the deal.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:58 am

Yeah, I've been reading a lot of USS Mariner and Lookout Landing the last few days, and when the trade was first reported, it seemed that a lot of Mariners fans were shocked by the low return. Even guys like Dave Cameron, Matthew Carruth, and Graham MacAree seemed to overrate Morrow's value and were throwing out names like Wallace and Stewart as the possible prospect. And as it turns out, apparently Morrow wasn't valued very highly at all by the rest of the league.

A good trade by Anthopoulos, though. The slim possibility that Morrow turns himself into an effective starter is well worth League and Chavez. The Jays also have the time to try to develop him...the Mariners in 2010 really don't. Though I'll miss League...I've always thought he was going to turn into an elite reliever, and he finally did it skill-wise last year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby silverZ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:24 am

Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:18 am

LOL!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2009s-toughest-pitches

And the winner of that award for 2009 goes to Brandon League. It’s a rather remarkable win because the pitch in question, a changeup or possibly splitter, was a new one for League, who up until 2009 was a dominant fastball pitcher that tossed out a slider once in awhile. In 2009, League introduced the splitter pitch and relied on it, using it roughly 35% of the time. And boy did it work. 35% of the time that Brandon League threw that splitter, the hitter swung and missed. It was five percentage points better than the person-pitch in second place, an old friend, Ryan Madson’s changeup, at just under 30%.

He's learning :-L (I love guys that do this)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers