Whiskey/Scotch experts, I need advice! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Whiskey/Scotch experts, I need advice!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Whiskey/Scotch experts, I need advice!

Postby Phatferd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:16 pm

I have really begun to enjoy whiskey/scotch over the past year or two, but have never really ventured out beyond the Makers and Knob Creek in quality. I prefer the Knob Creek to the Makers Mark, if this means anything.

Anyways, I am going on a trip for the weekend to Big Bear to stay in a family cabin and would love to enjoy some whiskey or scotch next to the fireplace at night with some good friends.

I stopped by Costco to see what I could get and to venture out past my American tastebuds. Here are the 3 finalists I am interested in buying. What is the best one and/or what do you see as the best value?

Macallan 12 for $39
Johnny Walker Green for $34
Johnny Walker Gold for $50
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Whiskey/Scotch experts, I need advice!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Well, you have to consider how strong you like your whisky. If you like it stronger, go with single malt (which is the MacAllan) and if not, go with blended (which are the Johnnie Walker whiskies). However, if you really want to get a fine appreciation of the whisky for characteristics such as smell, mouthfeel, and taste notes (like you would distinguish with a beer or wine), single malt is up your alley.

If I were you, I'd pick the MacAllan.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:37 pm

I love Crown Royal, but that's Canadian whiskey.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:29 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I love Crown Royal, but I also love men so...

FYP
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:01 am

bigh0rt wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I love Crown Royal, but I also love Canadian men so...

FYP

FYFP
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:38 am

I'm not much of a scotch guy, but I do enjoy whiskey(bourbon) very much.
You can't beat Rip Van Winkle 12YR Lot B for ~$50 if that's your upper limit (though you might have trouble finding this and any other *good* bourbon if you live above the Mason-Dixon line) . For less than that you can save some cash and get WIld Turkey 101 - awesome IMO. JW is not my favorite, but it's worth a try.

Phatferd wrote:I stopped by Costco to see what I could get and to venture out past my American tastebuds.

Americans perfected the art of whiskey making.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:44 am

Surprised Dan Lambskin hasn't chimed in, he seems to be the cafe's getting drunk/Canadian man-love expert :-?

IllinoisBandit wrote:Americans perfected the art of whiskey making.

racist

\
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:19 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:Americans perfected the art of whiskey making.

Eh, it's a matter of taste and what you're in the mood for. There will be times where I'd want Wild Turkey instead of Highland Park when I want something sweeter and smoother, but there are times where I want something that can pack a punch and give me better well-roundedness (Scotch, single-malt particularly) as well as a smokier flavor. I've had both superb Bourbon and Scotch and really, I can't pick one style being better than the other.

Oh, and the Scottish will have something to say about your claim...and rightfully so.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:57 am

i dont know much about scotch other than Macallen and Glenfiddich are decent options...i know there's all kinds of other fancy ones as well

as far as whiskey i like Makers...Woodford Reserve is also really, really good. you can also give Gentelman Jack or Jack Daniels Single Barrel a try. i've never really gotten into the Walkers, but i say you spring for a bottle of Blue :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm

if you enjoy scotch whiskey, you owe yourself to try single malt scotch whiskey.
the macallan single malts are generally considered one of the best, so yea give it a try. at costcos around here, they also have the glenlivet 12yr for $21 which is a very affordable quality single malt. i'd take these over blended stuff like johnny walker, although the green and gold are the vatted malts (blend of single malts). one blend i really enjoy though is jameson, a irish whiskey.

if you want to know more about what i think, check out my post in the liquor thread here: viewtopic.php?t=397751&start=10#p3159419

oh and please don't be like somebody here and mix the stuff with coke. :-b :-L
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk