Josh Beckett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Beckett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Beckett

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Does anybody think that Josh Beckett is slightly overrated. I am a Red Sox fan so i'm not hating here. However, I was looking at his stats and I'm not all that impressed. I think that he is a solid pitcher, but not the ace that everyone also pins him as. I look at beckett and think of him as more of a number 2 o3 a number 3. He has solid K numbers but not spectacular like Lincecum. I like his control but it is not elite. He gets lots of Wins but so do a lot of Red Sox pitchers, and the W isn't a legit stat in my opinion. His ERA and FIP are usually similar except in 2008 when his fip was a .80 points lower than his ERA.

Am I missing something or am i correct in identifying him as being slightly overrated.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Beckett

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm

AEMRICH wrote:Does anybody think that Josh Beckett is slightly overrated. I am a Red Sox fan so i'm not hating here. However, I was looking at his stats and I'm not all that impressed. I think that he is a solid pitcher, but not the ace that everyone also pins him as. I look at beckett and think of him as more of a number 2 o3 a number 3. He has solid K numbers but not spectacular like Lincecum. I like his control but it is not elite. He gets lots of Wins but so do a lot of Red Sox pitchers, and the W isn't a legit stat in my opinion. His ERA and FIP are usually similar except in 2008 when his fip was a .80 points lower than his ERA.

Am I missing something or am i correct in identifying him as being slightly overrated.

comparing anyone to lincecum is going to make them look overrated. that said i don't think he is, he has very good strike out and walk rates and he does a decent job of keeping the ball on the ground which limits HRs. Those are pretty much the only things that he can control and he does them all well. looks like he's been pretty unlucky over the last 3 years and has been quite a bit better than his ERA suggests.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:37 pm

I think he is overrated mainly due to his October success. You wonder why he can't dominate like that in May or August, but on draft day you're willing to take that gamble. And on gameday, I am thinking "Beckett's on the mound, tonight could be special..." because of 03 and 07

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby deanpapelbon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

And on gameday, I am thinking "Beckett's on the mound, tonight could be special..." because of 03 and 07

Ahem... 04 and 07.
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:21 pm

his october success ended 2 yrs ago with the ALCS vs tampa, so he shouldn't really be judged on his october success anymore.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 pm

deanpapelbon wrote:
And on gameday, I am thinking "Beckett's on the mound, tonight could be special..." because of 03 and 07

Ahem... 04 and 07.

Ahem... he means when Beckett won the WS in 03 and 07
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
deanpapelbon wrote:

Ahem... 04 and 07.

Ahem... he means when Beckett won the WS in 03 and 07

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 pm

AEMRICH wrote:Does anybody think that Josh Beckett is slightly overrated. I am a Red Sox fan so i'm not hating here. However, I was looking at his stats and I'm not all that impressed. I think that he is a solid pitcher, but not the ace that everyone also pins him as. I look at beckett and think of him as more of a number 2 o3 a number 3. He has solid K numbers but not spectacular like Lincecum. I like his control but it is not elite. He gets lots of Wins but so do a lot of Red Sox pitchers, and the W isn't a legit stat in my opinion. His ERA and FIP are usually similar except in 2008 when his fip was a .80 points lower than his ERA.

Nah you're missing something.

Beckett has had an 8+ K/9 and respectable control every year of his career but one. His GB/FB is always the right way around, and he seems to have guts in tight situations.

That is exactly the definition of an ace. I think your standards are too high.

Timmy is off to a kee-razy hall of fame level start to his career, you're really comparing a mega-elite ace to a regular ace here.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby B-Chad » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

Nah you're missing something.

Beckett has had an 8+ K/9 and respectable control every year of his career but one. His GB/FB is always the right way around, and he seems to have guts in tight situations.

That is exactly the definition of an ace. I think your standards are too high.

Timmy is off to a kee-razy hall of fame level start to his career, you're really comparing a mega-elite ace to a regular ace here.

As Aussie says, not every ace is created equal, but considering his balls in play, K rate and BB rate I'd consider him an ace as well. Those forward thinkers in keeper leagues may want to kick the tires on him as if he were to end up a free agent and not sign an extension and say sign in the NL :-L
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm

timmy smokes out everyday and he still can outpitch becks. don't insult timmy comparing him to becks.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers