2010 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 3/25/10 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2010 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 3/25/10

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2010 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 1/14/10

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 am

Do you accept bacon?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 am

AussieDodger wrote:Do you accept bacon?

Sure...Bacon makes everything better, right?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:35 am

rookies and cream wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Do you accept bacon?

Sure...Bacon makes everything better, right?

What exactly is the exchange rate?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby deanpapelbon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:19 pm

I'd love to see last years drafttracker updated. That was an incredibly useful tool.
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hardyworld » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm

I can't wait for this to be updated after all the ADPs are input. This is easily the most important information I have found on the web. If I find this as good as I think it will be, expect some payment from me.

Knowing how the populous values/drafts players is much more important than my own player evaluation system.
2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals
hardyworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 pm

hardyworld wrote:Knowing how the populous values/drafts players is much more important than my own player evaluation system.

Problem is it takes only 1 guy in your league to throw a wrench in that thinking. If you expect a player you really want will fall another couple rounds because that's "typically" where he is drafted you could get screwed out of a few guys you really want. I draft based on my own sheet, I play my own hand(in poker terms), and try not to fall into the trap of guessing what other people will do. You should know going in which few guys you are really high on or really low on and draft accordingly for those handful of guys but for the most part, "play your own hand"! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby hardyworld » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:17 pm

J35J wrote:
hardyworld wrote:Knowing how the populous values/drafts players is much more important than my own player evaluation system.

Problem is it takes only 1 guy in your league to throw a wrench in that thinking. If you expect a player you really want will fall another couple rounds because that's "typically" where he is drafted you could get screwed out of a few guys you really want. I draft based on my own sheet, I play my own hand(in poker terms), and try not to fall into the trap of guessing what other people will do. You should know going in which few guys you are really high on or really low on and draft accordingly for those handful of guys but for the most part, "play your own hand"! ;-D

I agree and disagree. When looking who to pick for my next pick, I always try to target 2-4 players that I would be perfectly happy to have (according to my evaluation system). Say half of the players I target in a given draft are MY "buy low candidates", in a 20 round draft, that is 30 players. One team cannot draft a significant portion of those 30 players; therefore, one guy cannot throw a wrench in my draft. Given that everyone has different team/draft strategies and evaluation systems, it would require at least 3 committed players to force me to change my strategy mid-draft (rare occurrence). If 3 or more people in a draft are consistently taking MY "buy low candidates", then several players that I may have thought their ADPs are too early drop down to where I'd like to take them. I've had this happen to me before, and I love taking players that drop much further than normal in a draft; I think it's a good problem to have. I've had a lot of success drafting this way, but the only way this will work for you is if you are willing to be flexible.

I'm a big believer in only taking a player if you believe he'll be gone in your next draft pick. This strategy has worked for me for over 10 years, but I'm not going to tell you that this system will work for you.
Last edited by hardyworld on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals
hardyworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:27 pm

J35J wrote:

Agreed. I think the MDP report is a great starting point to get an idea where guys are going. I think the most important piece to it is to watch how guys are either moving up or moving down in the rankings. "Buzz" about a player, especially once Yahoo! gets going with their articles, can really lead to major changes in the rankings. Like J, I like to play my own hand. I like to know where guys are going and then head into the draft with an idea of where I would like to take them.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Re: 2010 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Updated 1/23/10

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Updated ;-D

Does anyone know how to access Sporting News's ADPs?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Verminator » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:42 pm

J35J wrote:

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers