Cardinals offer Holliday $130M; Yankees ask about Bay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cardinals offer Holliday $130M; Yankees ask about Bay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cardinals offer Holliday $130M; Yankees ask about Bay

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Booo... I was hoping the 7th year was a team/mutual option. :-[

So. Time to sign Pujols. :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I agree. I hate when my team gets the short end of a deal with him. However, if I take a step back, I appreciate that he puts money in the players' pockets. This pleases me because if that money isn't in the players' hands, then it's in the owners' hands. If I have to choose one of those groups, I want the players getting as much money as possible.

This is something I am always saying to people. I hate when I hear about how much money athletes are being payed. I mean the money is there so now it just matters at who gets it. You can argue that tickets, parking or food is too expensive and I agree but until that changes then I am always happy to see the GOOD players getting big contracts. Bad players, well that is another story.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:Has it been confirmed yet with St. Louis' front office that indeed that offer was made?

If so, Holliday better take the money and be happy that he will be the guy batting in front of Pujols for a very long time. I definitely see an effect similar to the one Tex had after A-Rod joined the team this year. Holliday/Pujols will be a very lethal combination and I wouldnt be surprised if Matt Holliday shoots up into the 1st round.

Allow myself to, er, quote myself.

Well now thats its official, what do you guys think: Does Mr. Holliday return to the 1st round being that he will be hitting somewhere pretty damn close to Pujols?
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:49 pm

can he be a 1st rounder without stealing much? because the cards aren't big on running.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:15 pm

StlSluggers wrote:can he be a 1st rounder without stealing much? because the cards aren't big on running.

I think so. I don't expect him to run much either but hitting behind Pujols I'm expecting around 120 RBI. He has a .318 career BA and should hit around 30 HR while scoring 100 runs
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 am

rotoworld wrote:Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that Matt Holliday's new seven-year, $120 million contract with the Cardinals includes a vesting option for an eighth year.

According to Heyman, Holliday would receive an additional year at $17 million if he finishes in the Top-10 of the MVP voting in the seventh year. In other words, not so scary. If he's still putting up that kind of production seven years from now, it will be the contract that keeps on giving.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers