Cardinals offer Holliday $130M; Yankees ask about Bay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cardinals offer Holliday $130M; Yankees ask about Bay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cardinals offer Holliday $130M; Yankees ask about Bay

Postby MaudDib » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Pujols came out and told the Cardinals not to worry about resigning him and to focus on getting Holliday resigned. Either this was under the table talk of "get me some help or I am out of here" or he is pretty certain to resign with the Cardinals. I also wouldn't be surprised if he takes a discount knowing that the more he gets paid the less help he gets.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:41 pm

MaudDib wrote:Pujols came out and told the Cardinals not to worry about resigning him and to focus on getting Holliday resigned. Either this was under the table talk of "get me some help or I am out of here" or he is pretty certain to resign with the Cardinals. I also wouldn't be surprised if he takes a discount knowing that the more he gets paid the less help he gets.

I prefer to think of it as taking away leverage from Boras.

With all due respect to Matt, Albert respects Matt and would love to have him as a teammate and hopes he gets his money, but Matt’s situation must be seen as independent of Albert’s,” said Pujols’ lead agent, Dan Lozano, of Beverly Hills Sports Council.

Boras can't beat the drum anymore that Pujols might not come back if Holliday isn't signed.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:55 am

Has it been confirmed yet with St. Louis' front office that indeed that offer was made?

If so, Holliday better take the money and be happy that he will be the guy batting in front of Pujols for a very long time. I definitely see an effect similar to the one Tex had after A-Rod joined the team this year. Holliday/Pujols will be a very lethal combination and I wouldnt be surprised if Matt Holliday shoots up into the 1st round.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 am

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:Yesterday we heard that the Cardinals were "working toward an agreement" with Matt Holliday. Talks are picking up and the Cards' offer is apparently considerable. Jon Heyman and Buster Olney suggested that the Cards have offered $100MM or more, Tracy Ringolsby heard that the Cards offered $140MM and Derrick Goold said the sides have even discussed an eight-year deal.

One team that won't be interested at that level: the Orioles. Team president Andy MacPhail told Jeff Zrebiec that there is no validity to Ringolsby's report of a $130MM offer.

Today, John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that Holliday and agent Scott Boras asked for a deal worth $170MM when the Red Sox offered $85MM back in early December. That's Mark Teixeira territory, so the Red Sox moved on.

Link
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm

I thought this was interesting.
Sources indicated the sides have discussed several structures, including a five-year guaranteed deal and an eight-year framework. The average annual salary would be higher in the shorter deal.

Basically the Cardinals are offering him anywhere from a 5 yr to and 8 yr deal.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Holliday to Cards

Update the thread title, yo.

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:5:20pm: Holliday is currently talking about the deal on ESPN Radio, and MLB.com's Matthew Leach tweets that Holliday "indicated" that the contract may include a team option for 2017.

5:00pm: SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Cardinals and Holliday have finalized a seven-year, $120MM contract. Heyman says the deal includes a full no-trade clause. Holliday falls short of the $18MM average salary he reportedly sought, but this contract is a huge win for Boras given the lack of competition.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Holliday to Cards

Update the thread title, yo.

mlbtraderumors.com wrote:this contract is a huge win for Boras given the lack of competition.

ya think?

the MSM keeps trying to write him off as the second most evil person in the world, right behind George Bush, yet he continues to impress every friggin time .. amazing.

We should pay him homage. Build a Boras temple or something. Bow to it like the beaneiacs do for Billy
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:34 pm

I agree. I hate when my team gets the short end of a deal with him. However, if I take a step back, I appreciate that he puts money in the players' pockets. This pleases me because if that money isn't in the players' hands, then it's in the owners' hands. If I have to choose one of those groups, I want the players getting as much money as possible.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:35 pm

StlSluggers wrote:If I have to choose one of those groups, I want the players getting as much money as possible.
this.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 pm

So a 7 year $120 million deal with a team option for the 8th year? That's a year or two more than I would have liked but it isn't my money. I'd be interested to see the structure since the Cards like to backload the contract. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if there is a buyout for the eighth year that is included in the $120 million total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers