Free Agent Bidding (FAAB) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Free Agent Bidding (FAAB)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Free Agent Bidding (FAAB)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 am

Hey guys - can anyone direct me to a site that lists exactly how FAAB works? I am currently in a 10 team, NL-only $260 auction league, but we do a straight first come first serve WW pickup during the season, and we are debating about implementing a FAAB system...so any help would be appreciated so I can educate my fellow league mates on how this works. Thanks.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Free Agent Bidding (FAAB)

Postby BoBtheMule » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:50 pm

http://www.toutwars.com/?page_id=8
See the Free Agency Section.

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:41 pm

BoBtheMule wrote:http://www.toutwars.com/?page_id=8
See the Free Agency Section.

Bob

You beat me to one of my favorite links! Darned football season is still splitting my attention 8-o
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigmck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:13 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:Hey guys - can anyone direct me to a site that lists exactly how FAAB works? I am currently in a 10 team, NL-only $260 auction league, but we do a straight first come first serve WW pickup during the season, and we are debating about implementing a FAAB system...so any help would be appreciated so I can educate my fellow league mates on how this works. Thanks.

What stat service do you use? We use CBS Sports and I could tell you about their FAAB, but each stat service is going to have their own rules on how it works.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 pm

bigmck wrote:
What stat service do you use? We use CBS Sports and I could tell you about their FAAB, but each stat service is going to have their own rules on how it works.

we use sportsline so the more info I can get the more ammo I can bring to the table when its time to educate the league. Thanks in advance.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Postby bigmck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:54 pm

There are several options that CBS gives you for setting up the FAAB. 1) You can set the FAAB with the amount of money that you want each owner to have for the year to bid with. I think most leagues use $100, but I think that is too little. 2) You can set the days of the week that you want the FAAB to run. If your players can be changed daily, you would probably want it to run three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). If you change your players once a week, then the day before your week starts would be when you would run it. 3) The FAAB will run at 1 AM EST on the day it is set automatically. Everyone bids on the players they want and no one, not even the Commish can see who has bid what. When it runs, the transactions are posted with who won the player and for how much. You also set the number of days a player has to be active in the league before he is eligible to be picked up via the FAAB. This is either one, two or three days. We use one day. The reason for this option is to stop an owner from bidding on a player that has just been called up to the Majors ten minutes before the FAAB is to run. He has to be in MLB at least one day to give everyone a chance to bid. 4) If there is a tie bid for a player the FAAB breaks the tie automatically with the lower in the standings getting the player. It works really good. We have used it for two years and never had a problem. == I will send you a private message with my email address in case you have any other questions. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dmendro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:07 pm

For sportsline, + FAAB + an auction league, here is my comment.

to keep with the spirit of the auction league, the FAAB bid should be the player's salary moving foward. Give your owners an effectively unlimited ammount of money to bid with, but make them stay under their salary cap. The FAAB winning bid is then the player's salary.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HeyArnold » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Is free agent bidding provided by the free sites like ESPN or yahoo?

-IHSD ;-D

Supporter of Colorado Sports Teams
HeyArnold
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:57 pm

dmendro wrote:For sportsline, + FAAB + an auction league, here is my comment.

to keep with the spirit of the auction league, the FAAB bid should be the player's salary moving foward. Give your owners an effectively unlimited ammount of money to bid with, but make them stay under their salary cap. The FAAB winning bid is then the player's salary.

That is exactly the way our league handles it. Bidding is a big part of the fun. For our 23 active players we have a $290 in-season salary cap while it stays at $260 on Auction Day. This gives some room for uneven trades and some room to big high on a player or two, but not enought room to do alot of crazy stuff.
== On the queston about if free services have a FAAB, I have never heard of one.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Yahoo supported FAAB for football starting this year so guessing will be in baseball as well.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 124)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner