CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues

Postby Diamond Miners » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 pm

I was in a Yahoo leagues for about 5 years before switching over to CBS and have loved the move. It has so much to offer and very little negatives.

Bloody Sox wrote:- They don't have any sort of player rankings based on live stats. Some prefer this, but it is annoying that all stat reports default to sorting by alphabetical order. Having some way to list players based on how well they have performed over the period of time selected (week, month, season, etc.) would be very useful - and could help in trade negotiations.

Depends on the league. I'm in a H2H points league and it sorts by points. And I know they have their "Rankings" that show each position (but not what they've produced, just names) but considering I use my own rankings and just compare stats (very easy to do when looking at trades), I never worry about a rank like Yahoo use to do it.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:

- It drives me batty that when you want to add a player, you have no way to (easily) compare that player to your active roster to decide who you might want to drop (like Yahoo does). It is so obvious and simple to implement, I can't stand it. I've complained for the last 5 years about this in my football and baseball leagues.

- They don't have any sort of player rankings based on live stats. Some prefer this, but it is annoying that all stat reports default to sorting by alphabetical order. Having some way to list players based on how well they have performed over the period of time selected (week, month, season, etc.) would be very useful - and could help in trade negotiations.

In my baseball leagues, I always know who I'm dropping, but in football it's kind of a pain, 'cause I don't know squat about it, and I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for when you bring up stat reports, 'cause if you go to the sortable stats section or thru free agents page, there is a section that asks which time frame you want (from today thru 2000 totals), and you can select which stats you want to highlight.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 am

I've been in 2 different leagues at CBS for 5 years now in which one of them I'm the commish, and the interface is great compared to what else is out there. We were going to move to ESPN in 2007 and immediately did an about face back to CBS after we tried to input rosters. We've never had a problem that could not be corrected within minutes at CBS. However, don't listen to any of their advice, and don't put much value into their rankings.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:05 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
- It drives me batty that when you want to add a player, you have no way to (easily) compare that player to your active roster to decide who you might want to drop (like Yahoo does). It is so obvious and simple to implement, I can't stand it. I've complained for the last 5 years about this in my football and baseball leagues.

- They don't have any sort of player rankings based on live stats. Some prefer this, but it is annoying that all stat reports default to sorting by alphabetical order. Having some way to list players based on how well they have performed over the period of time selected (week, month, season, etc.) would be very useful - and could help in trade negotiations.

Those are the two main reasons that I didn't like CBS when I tried it a few years back. Picking up new players for your team was a pain compared to the Yahoo way.

this is not true. you can sort free agents in CBS with their total "value" in several different time spans, last 15, 30, 45 games and apply filters like positions, stats, upcoming schedule etc. they don't have ranking #s like yahoo but they have this thing called "value" which is pretty much the same thing. to access this area, you don't go to add/drop, you go to free agents. i will say that their layout makes finding these things a bit harder than it needs to, but if you get past it, it is more sortable/filterable than yahoo's FA pool. yahoo by far has the most limited filters (date span of only week and month, cmon...) but i suppose it's the most user friendly. i've gotten used to both ESPN and CBS FA sort/filters and find them more informative therefore superior than yahoo's.

last year i played in ESPN, CBS, and YAHOO with several leagues in each service. i am going to do a full review write-up early next year before season starts. but imo, they're all decent services, and ESPN impressed me very much.
let me sum it up this way: CBS = linux, yahoo = windows, ESPN = mac.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 am

ayebatter wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
It drives me batty that when you want to add a player, you have no way to (easily) compare that player to your active roster to decide who you might want to drop (like Yahoo does). It is so obvious and simple to implement, I can't stand it. I've complained for the last 5 years about this in my football and baseball leagues.

In my baseball leagues, I always know who I'm dropping, but in football it's kind of a pain, 'cause I don't know squat about it, and I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for when you bring up stat reports, 'cause if you go to the sortable stats section or thru free agents page, there is a section that asks which time frame you want (from today thru 2000 totals), and you can select which stats you want to highlight.

True, you usually know who you want to drop when you're picking someone up, but sometimes you want to be able to make sure the move makes sense and to be able to make a quick comparison to your roster by comparing stats over different time periods.

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:They don't have any sort of player rankings based on live stats. Some prefer this, but it is annoying that all stat reports default to sorting by alphabetical order. Having some way to list players based on how well they have performed over the period of time selected (week, month, season, etc.) would be very useful - and could help in trade negotiations.

this is not true. you can sort free agents in CBS with their total "value" in several different time spans, last 15, 30, 45 games and apply filters like positions, stats, upcoming schedule etc. they don't have ranking #s like yahoo but they have this thing called "value" which is pretty much the same thing. to access this area, you don't go to add/drop, you go to free agents. i will say that their layout makes finding these things a bit harder than it needs to, but if you get past it, it is more sortable/filterable than yahoo's FA pool. yahoo by far has the most limited filters (date span of only week and month, cmon...) but i suppose it's the most user friendly. i've gotten used to both ESPN and CBS FA sort/filters and find them more informative therefore superior than yahoo's.

They didn't have a "value" statistic a couple of years ago - in fact, I recall explicitly asking for it. Maybe it made it into the product more recently. In which case, I'll have one less thing to complain about when we move back.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:41 pm

We used yahoo for several years before switching to a CBS Commish league and we're not going back. I love the customizeability. Their customer service is excellent and they were able to fix a huge stat foul-up (my fault) for us this year that saved me many many hours of manual correction. There are some improvements they could make, but overall its top-notch.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:- It drives me batty that when you want to add a player, you have no way to (easily) compare that player to your active roster to decide who you might want to drop (like Yahoo does). It is so obvious and simple to implement, I can't stand it. I've complained for the last 5 years about this in my football and baseball leagues.

It's terrible. It feels like a 1998 setup that they've just never changed.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:26 am

The stupid add/drop and propose trades (also the on the block) interfaces are by far the worst part of CBS compared to ESPN. ESPN has that part down but I dislike the graphical part of ESPN since I have a small screen size and it's impossible to get some pages to display on my screen. So i love how compact the CBS screens are (albeit small fonts so some with poorer vision might have problems).

I have only done a live draft at ESPN (CBS has been offline) but each year there is some confusion or bugs in the system. And I also wish that you could do your predraft rankings and not have the 100+ keepers in the rankings that you don't want to rank since they won't be in he draft.

I do really like CBS overall though. If I were to setup a league with anything custom about it (and a decent entry fee) then that is the one that I would pick. It's absolutely necessary for a 24 team league with deep rosters.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby baseball77 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm surprised a lot of people at the beginning of this thread stated they didn't like ESPN. My league switched from Yahoo and I didn't like ESPN at first, but after about a month of getting used to it, I think it is the best provider of free fantasy games. Besides the obvious perks of free stattracker and no stat errors (that I know of from last year), I think the interface is so easy to use and the player rater has invaluable research tools and sorting abilities. If you're in a keeper league, it's also great because it preserves each year's league as a separate league that is easily accessible. You just click on the link for the year and are taken back to your league home page from that you where all the stats, records, and league message board posts are preserved.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:17 pm

ESPN had it going good until the final day of the season when many owners (including me) were locked out of editing their lineups due to server overload (the fantasy football guys killed the fantasy servers). i'm sure some people can blame their loss on the final day when some leagues came down to couple guys being benched/started. other than that, i had no complaints about ESPN.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers