CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Who's used ESPN for their fantasy baseball leagues? What are the benefits? What didn't you like?
Last edited by bigh0rt on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN Leagues

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:39 pm

I was in an ESPN league in 2007, and totally hated it. It felt messy and out of order.
It's probably changed completely since then :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Tried a couple of ESPN leagues last year. Did not like.

I'll put it this way: if you're very used to Yahoo's system and interface, it's likely that you'll be bothered by ESPN leagues.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:19 pm

We tried ESPN last year, and after a week we almost moved back to CBS - even knowing we were going to have to manually transfer all the stats over. There was one giant flaw for us that was almost the deal breaker: in roto leagues, they did not track game played per position (which is ridiculous, in my opinion). You got a certain amount of games played to use for your entire offense, however you want to divide them up across your active positions - we ended up tracking it manually. Things were probably fine for H2H in that regard. The interface itself took a little while to get used to, but it wasn't bad - a little bit on the simplistic side. Obviously, the big benefit of ESPN is you get free live stats, but otherwise I'd rather use the Yahoo free leagues or the CBS commissioner leagues.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:49 pm

I played in a friends h2h there last yr, meh, doubt I'd play there again. Give me CBS for my money leagues, Yahoo is ok for free.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1360)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:11 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Tried a couple of ESPN leagues last year. Did not like.

I'll put it this way: if you're very used to Yahoo's system and interface, it's likely that you'll be bothered by ESPN leagues.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Question rephrase:

Who's used CBS for their fantasy baseball leagues? What are the benefits? What didn't you like?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Re: CBS (Formerly ESPN) Leagues

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:19 am

The biggest thing for me about the CBS commish leagues is everything is correctable. Someone drops the wrong player, you make it right in about a minute. You can go back & correct mistakes from previous weeks if need be.Someone deserves to be out of the league, you boot them & replace with another owner.Its an active commish's dream. You can trade draft picks. You can have a slow draft in the draft room for 2 weeks & it doesn't miss a beat.The 2010 product has been out for 3 weeks, right now CBS has the best product out there.We've been using them for 8 years now & there aren't many problems, at least once the season starts(they did have a problem with the draft order resetting last January). Very reliable. I call it inexpensive: when you divide the cost of the service between 12 or 14 owners for an entire years worth of service, its quite minimal. They have more ways of sorting stats and comparing players than you'll probably ever figure out.Almost everyone that has used yahoo complains that its different, yes you have to get used to a new setup. There is an aweful lot to like & very few things that are bad; perhaps those that are playing in a $10 or $20 league wouldn't want to pay for the $150 commish service. Alot of the league members probably don't even realize whats all there, but a hands on commish will really enjoy & appreciate all they have to offer
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Yeah - CBS is so customizable that it is far superior to Yahoo (and of course ESPN) if you are doing anything even remotely non-standard. As someone said earlier, I like the custom stats reports you can create and you can even make up your own stat categories - a couple of years ago I played around with valuations until I came up with dollar values based on actual stats.

A few negatives about CBS that drive me bonkers:

- It drives me batty that when you want to add a player, you have no way to (easily) compare that player to your active roster to decide who you might want to drop (like Yahoo does). It is so obvious and simple to implement, I can't stand it. I've complained for the last 5 years about this in my football and baseball leagues.

- They don't have any sort of player rankings based on live stats. Some prefer this, but it is annoying that all stat reports default to sorting by alphabetical order. Having some way to list players based on how well they have performed over the period of time selected (week, month, season, etc.) would be very useful - and could help in trade negotiations.

- We had quite a bit of bad experience with the draft room during online drafts. They do let the commissioner backout picks and make picks for someone else, so we've made it work in those years when we couldn't do a live draft. It is quite cool for slow drafts over a 1-2 week timeframe however.

All that said, my main money league has moved from Yahoo (3 years) to CBS (5 years) to ESPN (1 year) over the last several years and there was a 12-0 vote to go back to CBS this year.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
- It drives me batty that when you want to add a player, you have no way to (easily) compare that player to your active roster to decide who you might want to drop (like Yahoo does). It is so obvious and simple to implement, I can't stand it. I've complained for the last 5 years about this in my football and baseball leagues.

- They don't have any sort of player rankings based on live stats. Some prefer this, but it is annoying that all stat reports default to sorting by alphabetical order. Having some way to list players based on how well they have performed over the period of time selected (week, month, season, etc.) would be very useful - and could help in trade negotiations.

Those are the two main reasons that I didn't like CBS when I tried it a few years back. Picking up new players for your team was a pain compared to the Yahoo way.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers