Strasburg best prospect EVER!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Strasburg best prospect EVER!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strasburg best prospect EVER!!!

Postby huztlers » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:03 pm

That's right, if people repeat it enough times then it must be true. I remember reading a story about how Matt Weiters was the best prospect ever last spring. Next year it will be Bryce Harper... Get ahold of yourselves people. Everything does not have to be the biggest, bestest, brightest thing ever. I mean, that sparkling 4+ ERA in the AFL is pretty amazing but just settle down.
huztlers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strasburg best prospect EVER!!!

Postby ensanimal » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Officially?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 am

huztlers wrote:Everything does not have to be the biggest, bestest, brightest thing ever.

wat
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:52 am

You're not the best prospect ever until you have a Chuck Norris like facts page about yourself like Matt Wieters. Until he gets one, Strassy is second best.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby FouLLine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

huztlers wrote:That's right, if people repeat it enough times then it must be true. I remember reading a story about how Matt Weiters was the best prospect ever last spring. Next year it will be Bryce Harper... Get ahold of yourselves people. Everything does not have to be the biggest, bestest, brightest thing ever. I mean, that sparkling 4+ ERA in the AFL is pretty amazing but just settle down.

Strasburg has put up the type of numbers that make him a once in a decade prospect. But still nonetheless he is a prospect and you don't know (you have an idea and estimation) how he will pan out from there. Bryce Harper has shown a similar type of promise with ridiculous numbers at such a young age in highschool.

But do not down play the clear number one overall pick in the draft because of a small sample size ERA in a league that is clearly beneficial to hitters. Look at how many guys OPS over 1k. It was Strasburg's first taste of pro ball and he more than held his own against guys who for the most part are 2 to 3 years older as well as have years of pro experience... Hell there are guys in the AFL who are 5 years older than Strasburg. Besides even though his ERA wasn't stellar he still had a good K/9 and WHIP. I'm sure if the season was longer his ERA would have dropped way down from the 4.26 ERA (11th in the league) he ended the AFL with.

Matt Wieters was never regarded to be anything close to the best prospect ever. It was debatable if he was even the best prospect in the minors last year alone. BA said Wieters was the #1 prospect but they had Gordon Beckham ranked at #20 and he was clearly the most productive hitter last year out of BA's top prospect list... They also had David Price ranked at #2 and Tommy Hanson ranked at #4 (Really kind of splitting hairs here but you get what I mean?). But like I said you never really know exactly how a prospect will respond in the bigs. Besides just because someone is better now does it mean they will have a better career? It is hard to say...

But Strasburg did in fact put up some of the best (if not the best) college numbers ever. So based on that as well as his 6'4" frame as well as his 103 MPH fastball and advanced secondary offerings, yes that equates to at the very least one of the best pitching prospect ever.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mblax10 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm strongly in the Strasburg is overrated camp, but basing your argument on ERA over 19 IP in a strong hitter's environment is foolish for many reasons.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I read his mechanics are suspect. He could be great, or he could have Dr. James Andrews in his future.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garrioch13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Actually the best prospect ever, according to my formula is Andruw Jones in 2005. The best pitcher was Salomon Torres in 1991.
garrioch13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Your formula needs some work, because Torres' numbers were not that impressive aside from his year in low A.

Strasburg is definitely up there in the talks of "best prospect ever" (which means really in the last 30 years when people actually tracked "prospects" along with Andruw, Griffey, Arod, Gooden, Felix, maybe Justin Upton

Strasburg has been utterly dominant along all stops putting up numbers that no other college pitcher has ever approached. He's also got at least two dominant pitchers (Plus-Plus) pitches, and a third that's rated "plus". So he's got great stuff and a great frame, and he throws over 100.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Strasburg has been utterly dominant along all stops putting up numbers that no other college pitcher has ever approached. He's also got at least two dominant pitchers (Plus-Plus) pitches, and a third that's rated "plus". So he's got great stuff and a great frame, and he throws over 100.
at

Mark Prior disagrees. when you factor in strength of schedule then I bet their numbers are very similar. And dominant at all stops is pretty much limited to college in a 2nd tier conference and the 16 innings (or whatever it was) in the AFL. And he was far from dominant in HS.

But he does belong in your list of greatest prospects since he has absolutely ridiculous stuff.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball