Mauer Rookie of the Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer Rookie of the Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mauer Rookie of the Year?

Postby Just Admit It Pete » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:29 am

I had the guy tucked away on my bench but hes batting over .400 this spring with some doubles and he hit a long bomb last night. Could we be seeing a Hank Blalock type breakout player (without that much power before you guys jump on me :-o ) in Mauer this year?
"Hey, hows your wife and my kids"
Just Admit It Pete
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mauer Rookie of the Year?

Postby frog99 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:32 am

Just Admit It Pete wrote:I had the guy tucked away on my bench but hes batting over .400 this spring with some doubles and he hit a long bomb last night. Could we be seeing a Hank Blalock type breakout player (without that much power before you guys jump on me :-o ) in Mauer this year?

you are likely to see hank blalock's 2002 season as hanks 2003... well not really, i don't think he will be sent down, but i don't think be as as good as blalock, maybe .270-280 some doubles and 10-15 homers.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Just Admit It Pete » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:34 am

i would take .280 17,70 for a first year form this guy. that would lead to superstardom in 2005
"Hey, hows your wife and my kids"
Just Admit It Pete
College Coach
College Coach

Mauer

Postby joeg19 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:34 am

Twins fan here

We are expecting 285/10/60 from him, which is an ok fantasy year, but not worth near his "real" baseball skiils that are thru the roof, ie his w/k rate and throwing runners out. Also our pitchers are glowing about how great it is to pitch to him. (Probably because they envision the run support of having Blanco hit in our crappy line)

I would stay away form him in fantasy, his fantasy upside is not as high as people are making him out to be. His real value is in the tangibles that make great Paul ONeal like players...

ROY - gotta be the favorite though
joeg19

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:54 am

Man you people totally overrate his HR potential for this year! Where are you getting these numbers from?? If you check his minor league stats, you'd realize that about 5 HRs is the most you should reasonably expect from Mauer this year. 10-15 HRs, 17 HRs?? Wow

Postby guru » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:Man you people totally overrate his HR potential for this year! Where are you getting these numbers from?? If you check his minor league stats, you'd realize that about 5 HRs is the most you should reasonably expect from Mauer this year. 10-15 HRs, 17 HRs?? Wow

ten home runs in 500 abs against the incredably weak central pitching... i can see that
guru

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:59 pm

As far as Mauer's power goes for the year, I have a hard time seeing him getting too far into the double digits, if at all.

As far as ROY favorite goes, don't forget about Bobby Crosby (he's my pick as of right now) or any of several big talents whom could be called up within a couple of months after the season starts.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:22 pm

Mauer's my pick. His AB/K ratio is incredible -- which is what I look at with minor league hitters for future impact.

I see .285 8 HR 55 RBI and about 60 K's in about 435 AB's.
I see Crosby at .260 12 HR 65 RBI and about 125 K's in 450 AB's.

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:47 pm

I like Estrada (C) on the Braves. This guy has a sweet longball swing. And he just does not strike out! I saw him play on the AAA Braves a lot last year when they played the Norfolk Tides (we miss Bobby Valentine) and he takes pitchers 10-12-15 pitches into the count before driving it 400+ feet. Lots of homers? No, but good steady stats and worth looking at (he will not have 60 K's). Not truly a rookie though, he did spend some time (albeit brief) with the Phillies. This guy is the reason the braves were happy to let Javey go without worries.

Rk
Rkiivs

Postby DK » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:55 pm

As endearing as that last comment was about Estrada, he does strike out. K/BB 176-105 in the minors. He's got a nice swing, though, I'll give you that.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers