100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rank these SP prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rank these SP prospects

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Steve-o wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:1. Hellickson (at this point many if not most people have him ranked higher than Bumgarner

I don't believe this is true. I've seen this in a few places (e.g., Project Prospect), but not too many, and definitely not most.

I think the only reason you haven't seen more is a lot of places have yet to publish their lists. I think they'll be pretty neck and neck on most lists with Hellickson higher on teh majority. Everyone seems pretty worked up about Bum's loss of velocity at the end of last year.

Well, lists are now being published, and as I assumed, Bumgarner is above Hellickson on most.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Steve-o wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:
I don't believe this is true. I've seen this in a few places (e.g., Project Prospect), but not too many, and definitely not most.

I think the only reason you haven't seen more is a lot of places have yet to publish their lists. I think they'll be pretty neck and neck on most lists with Hellickson higher on teh majority. Everyone seems pretty worked up about Bum's loss of velocity at the end of last year.

Well, lists are now being published, and as I assumed, Bumgarner is above Hellickson on most.

Man, I guessed everything wrong. First Strasburg, now this. Geez. I hate to have to rely on Keith Law for my argument. 8-o

Actually, looking at everything neck and neck sounds about right. I have Hellickson at 16 and Bum at 17. I think they are the same on Sickels, A-. Mayo has Bum 10 and Hellickson 20. Keith Law has Bum at 28 and Hellickson 17. Project Prospect has Bum higher.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 am

Steve-o wrote:I hate to have to rely on Keith Law for my argument. 8-o.

Why's that? With all due respect to BA and BP, Law actually does a lot of his own scouting and doesn't just compile opinions of a majority.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby kab21 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:19 am

bigken117 wrote:

Why's that? With all due respect to BA and BP, Law actually does a lot of his own scouting and doesn't just compile opinions of a majority.

The problem is that his scouting isn't that extensive. I remember his list two years ago consisted 'I saw this guy at the futures game and his ____________ was __________' for at least 10 prospects. Great he saw a handful of the elite prospects at the futures game for 1-4 innings. but he does offer a different viewpoint from the other sources and his lists have grown on me some.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 am

bigken117 wrote:

I find that he becomes very stubborn with certain prospects. He'll bash/praise a guy and not be willing re-evaluate them, even after evidence to the contrary at a later date. We all have our favorites, but he seems more stubborn than what is reasonable to me. I always look at his list, but I put less weight into it then some other ones.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 am

Bumgarner
Jeremy Hellickson
Aaron Crow
Jhoulys Chacin
Brandon Erbe
BoBtheMule