Thinking of switching to ESPN (auction league, ect) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Thinking of switching to ESPN (auction league, ect)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thinking of switching to ESPN (auction league, ect)

Postby carter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

i'm thinking of taking my league (currently at yahoo!) over to Espn, mostly because we want to try an auction league and can't all get together in person for an auction draft.. so i have a few questions:

1. anyone here try their auction leagues and auction drafts? how are they? any problems with the draft and pre-bidding, ect....?

2. how are the custom settings? we have a 9x9 H2H league, with old style rosters (2 c's, MI, CI, 5 OF's), deep benches, ect.. a deep league in general (over 300 players drafted) ..and we want to keep it that way.. we also may go to 14 teams next year.. does ESPN support all these settings? .. are they easily customizable?

3. we dont pay for yahoo, and would like to not pay for Espn either... but i saw on Espn you have to pay for custom settings? is this true or did i read that wrong? and how much do they charge?

4. whats your overall opinion about Espn.. anything BETTER or WORSE compared to Yahoo or other stat services?
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thinking of switching to ESPN (auction league, ect)

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:13 am

I run a pretty deep h2h points league there... I'm pretty sure everything you want is possible at espn.

I don't know of any party of espn that costs money anymore... it's all free.

I haven't used yahoo in a couple of years but really do like espn... support is helpful and I dig the real time gamecast stuff.

The settings for the auctions last year were pretty static. Had to start w/ 260$ and you couldn't alter the countdown length or anything so the auctions take a couple of hours. Besides that you're golden

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby carter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:26 pm

Bob, thanks..

for your Auction draft.. did anyone use their pre-bid settings, and how did everyone like it? do you think its unfair if say, half the league can participate in the live draft, and other owners who can't make it have to go by their pre-bid rankings.. was there any problems or arguments over that?

also, do you remember if anyone that missed the beginning, can join later while in progress?

sorry for the repetitive questions, it looks like i might switch.. i kinda hate to leave Yahoo, ive really had no problems and enjoyed them all these years (though i do have much hatred for CBS)
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:43 pm

you can join after the auction has started... leave again... do a dance and then rejoin again... as long as the connection is solid, you'll be fine

As for pre-auction rankings... I'm not sure about others but I had to leave early in a couple of mocks and two public leagues I joined and I did alright in the players I got. I didn't even set the numbers up for my auction, I just used espn's rankings. If your owners adjust their own, they'll do real well. I watched a lot of auto drafting in the mocks that used espn rankings... the auto bidding would go up to and very rarely a dollar over the espn projections. Patient owners can take advantage of the auto bidding by bringing up players they don't care about and letting the autobidders go to war but that's pretty much going to happen in any setup.

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ymichael » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey Carter,

I believe you'll be completely happy with ESPN. I've tried CBS, ESPN, and Yahoo for several years and prefer ESPN. Here is a link to their 2009 auction rules. The rules for 2010 should be similar:

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/content?page=flbrulesauctionoverview2009

The customization does allow for very deep benches (2C, MI, CI, etc) and ESPN supports up to 20 teams. I've commished five leagues there over the past two years and four of them were 20-team leagues. I've never had to pay for any customizations.

If ESPN doesn't dramatically change things for 2010, I believe you'll be quite satisfied with a move there.
ymichael
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner