Couldn't pass him up at that price...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: League Chatter

Postby FutilityInfielder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:10 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Couldn't pass him up at that price...

Sorry RSN but Yunel has been sitting down there on my wishlist for quite a while and I had hoped to slough him off to the bitter end. If it's any consolation you're now in the driver's seat for the rest of the way. I just hope you and I aren't in agreement on the last two picks. :-o
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:48 pm

FutilityInfielder wrote:

Sorry RSN but Yunel has been sitting down there on my wishlist for quite a while and I had hoped to slough him off to the bitter end. If it's any consolation you're now in the driver's seat for the rest of the way. I just hope you and I aren't in agreement on the last two picks. :-o

No problem...I was hoping to nab him and then put Jeter on the block but oh well...

I do like the Gutierrez nomination...decent 20/15 candidate and with the new lineup and another year under his belt he could be a very nice player to have. In fact, he might look really good on my roster.... ;-)
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby FutilityInfielder » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
FutilityInfielder wrote:

No problem...I was hoping to nab him and then put Jeter on the block but oh well...

I do like the Gutierrez nomination...decent 20/15 candidate and with the new lineup and another year under his belt he could be a very nice player to have. In fact, he might look really good on my roster.... ;-)

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :~(
Well, as they say, turnabout is fair play.
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Looks like everyone is guaranteed to get their nominee this round. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby FutilityInfielder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Well it looks like RSN "played" me to get me to blow my hard-earned dollars. !+)
One more round to go and one more warm body to plant on my bench.
Now that this thing is almost over how does everybody feel about their teams? I know there are a few things I would have done over. Hey Boomer/Bwanna did you ever do a tally for last year for who would have won the pool based only on the drafted players? Could be interesting - just a thought.
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 am

FutilityInfielder wrote:Well it looks like RSN "played" me to get me to blow my hard-earned dollars. !+)
One more round to go and one more warm body to plant on my bench.
Now that this thing is almost over how does everybody feel about their teams? I know there are a few things I would have done over. Hey Boomer/Bwanna did you ever do a tally for last year for who would have won the pool based only on the drafted players? Could be interesting - just a thought.

Well, I really thought about taking Gutierrez but with two OF's on my bench already, I figured I could find a better way to spend my money.

Overall, I like my team where it stands right now and I'm pretty excited about my starting pitching though my closers are going to be a wild card. I tried to spread my SB's around as much as possible - that was a category I struggled in for most of the season last year - and also tried to stick with guys who would put up some runs and not kill my average. As it looks right now, I think I have at least 6 guys who should get me 12 or more SB's, while 3 of them should get me 20 or more. I'm short in a few categories and just about where I want to be in most others. I'm hopeful that Thornton, Wuertz and Gregerson can bring me some nice K ratios while Thornton and Gregerson could be in line to take over closer duties if Jenks blows it and if Bell is traded. Both of which are very real possibilities.

My goal, coming into the auction, was to build a team that, with projections, would get me at least 10 points in each category based on last year's totals. Not a foolproof method by any means, but last year I came into this with no strategy at all since I had never played roto before, and this seemed like a reasonable way to approach this year.

I think I found a few nice buys (love Kershaw at $12, Garza at $8 and Hunter at $9) but I feel I also overspent on a few guys such as Ethier ($19) and Cruz ($27). Guys I really wanted but couldn't keep up with were Jon Lester, Justin Upton, Kurt Suzuki, Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez. Overall, my team isn't very flashy. Outside of Kinsler, I don't have anyone who would have been a first rounder if this had been a straight draft but I'm thinking my team should be able to do pretty well when its all said and done.

At least that's how it looks today...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Bwanna » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Well, I really thought about taking Gutierrez but with two OF's on my bench already, I figured I could find a better way to spend my money.

The way it turned out, everyone will win their nominee this last round for $1, and you'll have $2 left to buy peanuts. ;D ;-)
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Bwanna wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:Well, I really thought about taking Gutierrez but with two OF's on my bench already, I figured I could find a better way to spend my money.

The way it turned out, everyone will win their nominee this last round for $1, and you'll have $2 left to buy peanuts. ;D ;-)

I prefer cashews...they contour to the tip much better... :-b
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Are we still waiting until noon to post our last player?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League