OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chatter (Draft)

Postby Silent Rob » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Boomer has the most Capital not-spent in the draft thus far... that has got to change soon man!

On another note, I am so excited to have a solid Offense 1-8 this year... compared to the Delgado/Loney led group I had last year.

On another note, I am fairly amazed at how much you guys spend on pitching. It's beyond comprehension.

-- SR
My Daily League Site - Tell 'em Silent Rob sent ya.
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Silent Rob wrote:
On another note, I am fairly amazed at how much you guys spend on pitching. It's beyond comprehension.

-- SR

Yeah it's just amazing isn't it. Can you explain to me how you figure Howard/Reyes @ $65, are going to help dominate the hitting cats, any more than Lincecum/Halladay @ $60 will help dominate the pitching cats. Lets say that you reach 5400 at bats (a stretch in this league)for your offense , 2 players worth of at bats (good or bad) is about 22% of your hitting numbers. We have a 1400 inning max for pitching, Lincecum/Halladay with a minimum of 400 innings between them is 28% of your pitching numbers. Just because most leagues don't spend money on pitching, doesn't mean there isn't great value in pitching. I suggest you spend your money on pitching in this league, 'cause it appears everyone else is. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby FutilityInfielder » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:38 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Silent Rob wrote:

-- SR

Yeah it's just amazing isn't it. Can you explain to me how you figure Howard/Reyes @ $65, are going to help dominate the hitting cats, any more than Lincecum/Halladay @ $60 will help dominate the pitching cats. Lets say that you reach 5400 at bats (a stretch in this league)for your offense , 2 players worth of at bats (good or bad) is about 22% of your hitting numbers. We have a 1400 inning max for pitching, Lincecum/Halladay with a minimum of 400 innings between them is 28% of your pitching numbers. Just because most leagues don't spend money on pitching, doesn't mean there isn't great value in pitching. I suggest you spend your money on pitching in this league, 'cause it appears everyone else is. ;-D

I've always thought the beef about spending too much on pitching was more with respect to the riskiness of pitchers. Obviously I don't have a problem spending the money either but historically pitchers (especially starters) can be an unreliable lot? Higher risk equates to lower cost on average? I wonder if they have comparable stats for breakdown seasons between e.g. starters and position players in general. Obviously position players can break down as well but do they do it as often? I dunno.
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:48 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Silent Rob wrote:

-- SR

Just because most leagues don't spend money on pitching, doesn't mean there isn't great value in pitching.

+1

Money spent wisely on pitching is spent well...last year Lincecum and Carpenter carried my pitching staff down the stretch and allowed me to make up ground in the standings because I was grabbing K's while maintaining or lowering my ERA and WHIP each week.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:11 pm

You are so correct, pitchers do have a chance of breaking down more the position players, it's all an assessment of risk, but in a 12 teamer with only 9 hitting positions, and only 6 active pitching spots, the usable hitting pool is pretty deep, and the usable pitching pool (even with 8 bench spots & daily transactions) is pretty shallow, so I feel the risk on the pitching side is diminished.

Motto for the day ;-D

Spend your money on pitching ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby Silent Rob » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:53 pm

I am down with y'all spending butt loads on pitching.

I guess what I was trying to say was that pitching is usually overvalued in comparison to hitting in some leagues.

I had pretty good pitching last year (pretty much led the year in Ks but nothing else) but it didn't propel me much in the standings. I feel that if i'm spending under 20.00 on guys who get over 100 rbis and 20hrs a season vs spending 20+ on pitchers who pitch once every five days, I can't be doing that bad.

Considering this is my first auction draft, my strategy will tweak a little for next season, until then i'm doing what has worked well for me in the past in redraft leagues.

-- SR
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Silent Rob » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Silent Rob wrote:

-- SR

I know that I overspent on Reyes (who is a definite risk), but to have Bay/Braun/Lee/Howard/Morales who will all hit 20+ Hrs and over 100 rbi a piece (with about 150 for howard alone) will net me a good position in the hitting categories. Reyes, if he's healthy and up to speed, will net me the SB i need to stay competitive. Soto is a big "?" but for the price, why the hell not?

I am fairly confident, if not over confident, that my squad will be very competitive this season... even in the pitching department. I give my draft a B- thus far.
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Silent Rob » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:16 pm

ALSO...

What position is CL? I think we're all getting too much holiday spirits these days! :-L
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League