League Chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

League Chatter

Moderators: Bwanna, OneLoveBoomer

Re: League Chatter

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 pm

What is a pitcher worth when they put up this stat line, on a team that isn't very good either.

9-14 166 4.82 1.38

$6 seems high to me especially when there is no money left and a ton of pitching still available. ( this is the key to me, since I think he does bounce back a bit)
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Third Day » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 pm

BigLebowski wrote:What is a pitcher worth when they put up this stat line, on a team that isn't very good either.

9-14 166 4.82 1.38

$6 seems high to me especially when there is no money left and a ton of pitching still available. ( this is the key to me, since I think he does bounce back a bit)

;-D
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:09 pm

BigLebowski wrote:What is a pitcher worth when they put up this stat line, on a team that isn't very good either.

9-14 166 4.82 1.38

Didn't realize we were using last years numbers :^

Tell me what is a pitcher worth when he has shown the ability and still has the tools to put up a line of 14/185/3.6/1.25 :-?
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1374)

Postby Third Day » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm

ayebatter wrote:

9-14 166 4.82 1.38

Tell me what is a pitcher worth when he has shown the ability and still has the tools to put up a line of 14/185/3.6/1.25 :-?

The question still to be answered.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FutilityInfielder » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Third Day wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

9-14 166 4.82 1.38

Seems to me that $6 is cheap for a 29 year-old guy who is two years away from ace status and who crashed like a lot of Red Sox in the Bobby Valentine disaster of last year. If he gets me just what Bill James is forecasting it'll be $6 well spent i.e. see my tag line below.
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Third Day » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:22 pm

FutilityInfielder wrote:
Third Day wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

Seems to me that $6 is cheap for a 29 year-old guy who is two years away from ace status and who crashed like a lot of Red Sox in the Bobby Valentine disaster of last year. If he gets me just what Bill James is forecasting it'll be $6 well spent i.e. see my tag line below.[/quote

Wasn't questioning the price, was questioning the "still has the tools" part. Question still to be answered. Even Bill James is wrong sometimes.
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FutilityInfielder » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Third Day wrote:
FutilityInfielder wrote:
Third Day wrote:

Seems to me that $6 is cheap for a 29 year-old guy who is two years away from ace status and who crashed like a lot of Red Sox in the Bobby Valentine disaster of last year. If he gets me just what Bill James is forecasting it'll be $6 well spent i.e. see my tag line below.[/quote

Wasn't questioning the price, was questioning the "still has the tools" part. Question still to be answered. Even Bill James is wrong sometimes.

I hear you. I'm not convinced Jon Lester is a sure bet either. Bill James also tends to be a little too optimistic in his forecasts. I'm just comfortable throwing away $6 given what he (is / might be) still capable of.
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Third Day » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:03 pm

FutilityInfielder wrote:
Third Day wrote:
FutilityInfielder wrote:

I hear you. I'm not convinced Jon Lester is a sure bet either. Bill James also tends to be a little too optimistic in his forecasts. I'm just comfortable throwing away $6 given what he (is / might be) still capable of.

It for sure wasn't the worst $6 spent so far.
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Silent Rob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Captain Obvious alerted me to two missing noms...
My Daily League Site - Tell 'em Silent Rob sent ya.
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:20 pm

are we waiting on the missing noms or is someone gonna throw up names for them?
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League