League Chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

League Chatter

Moderators: Bwanna, OneLoveBoomer

Re: League Chatter

Postby Third Day » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 pm

scoreless wrote:Looking for some feedback here...In my only other serious baseball league, 6x6 head 2 head (H,R,HR,SB,BA,RBI,QS,W,K,WHIP,ERA,S), daily keeper league. Auction style: $260.

Here is my list of people I'm considering as possible keepers (can keep up to three):
Fielder @ 33
Reyes @ 26
Hamels @ 18
Papelbon @ 4
Axford @ 2
Gallardo @ 15
Latos @ 19
Cain @ 19
Gio @ 10

This league I'm in has a few more price happy bidders than our league (ie Halladay 44, Hanley 47, Youk 36 are some of the outliers) so there's a spike for some guys in the "top tier" positions and many many more dollar wars late in the game. Unfortunately players picked up after the draft were ineligible this year (bye bye Strausburg, Lawrie, and Hosmer)

I'm leaning towards Pap, Ax, and Cole as of right now. That's a solid $24 to spend on 3 guys ranked in the top 10 of their positions. I'm actively trying to trade Fielder for some cheaper talent. I did just trade Cano ($40) for Reyes, Cain, and Gio G since I don't have Cano on my radar for $40.

Just looking for your words of wisdom ;-D Cheers!


Too many pitchers. From an unnamed fantasy expert:

"Broxton is the prime example of why it's a dangerous game to build a keeper or dynasty team around relievers. Here's another fact to support the argument: Since the turn of the century, only 12 pitchers have managed at least three seasons with 30-plus saves and 2.0 or greater Wins Above Replacement (per Baseball-Reference.com). Mariano Rivera has spoiled us; the truth is that "great" closers are usually lucky to have half the shelf life that he has had.

It's for that reason that Craig Kimbrel, fantasy's No. 1 closer, not to mention the most valuable rookie closer in the history of baseball, is one of only two closers to crack my top 100 keepers. Drew Storen at No. 77 is the other.

Kimbrel's No. 61 ranking, in fact, is the highest by any closer in my history of doing these rankings, and it's from the simple angle that, while his hefty workload as a rookie could burn him in the long haul, his potential contributions in 2012 and 2013 alone are far greater than anyone else at his position. He's 23 years old and has as much upside as any relief pitcher in professional baseball. That makes him a viable keeper.

As for pitching in general, while I'm more willing to pay for quality arms in a redraft league in today's increasingly pitching-rich landscape, in a keeper format I still prefer to invest in safer, more projectable hitters. .

Consider this: Five of the 10 players to rank among the top five starting pitchers on our Player Rater in either 2009 or 2010 failed to crack the top 50 at their position the following season. One of them, Adam Wainwright (No. 2 in 2010), was lost to injury for the entire subsequent season.

That's not to say you shouldn't invest at all in pitching, but you need to be picky doing so. Among the most critical qualities sought: Youth, strikeout ability, durability and command (performance in WHIP). And if you're facing a difficult decision between similar pitchers, take the one with greater long-term upside."
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2091
(Past Year: 273)
Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Spiritual World or Milwaukee (I commute)

Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm

If I'm picking, I'm going Axford, Papelbon (too cheap to pass up!), and I might splurge on a decent price on Fielder @33.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: League Chatter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 pm

scoreless wrote:Looking for some feedback here...In my only other serious baseball league, 6x6 head 2 head (H,R,HR,SB,BA,RBI,QS,W,K,WHIP,ERA,S), daily keeper league. Auction style: $260.

Here is my list of people I'm considering as possible keepers (can keep up to three):
Fielder @ 33
Reyes @ 26
Hamels @ 18
Papelbon @ 4
Axford @ 2
Gallardo @ 15
Latos @ 19
Cain @ 19
Gio @ 10

This league I'm in has a few more price happy bidders than our league (ie Halladay 44, Hanley 47, Youk 36 are some of the outliers) so there's a spike for some guys in the "top tier" positions and many many more dollar wars late in the game. Unfortunately players picked up after the draft were ineligible this year (bye bye Strausburg, Lawrie, and Hosmer)

I'm leaning towards Pap, Ax, and Cole as of right now. That's a solid $24 to spend on 3 guys ranked in the top 10 of their positions. I'm actively trying to trade Fielder for some cheaper talent. I did just trade Cano ($40) for Reyes, Cain, and Gio G since I don't have Cano on my radar for $40.

Just looking for your words of wisdom ;-D Cheers!

I'm assuming your talking about a 12 team league. If so, I'd have a hard time not keeping Fielder at that cost especially if Youk went for $36. From there, one of Hamels/Gallardo (the price seems right and is less than half of Halladay's $44) and possibly Papelbon. At that cost, he's a bargain. Maybe see what you can get for Reyes?
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Ok assuming standard 12 team H2H where I'd prefer to build on power (you're not offering much to pick from), and draft starting arms, I'd keep:

Fielder
Axford
Papelbon
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11852
(Past Year: 1637)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:16 pm

ayebatter wrote:Ok assuming standard 12 team H2H where I'd prefer to build on power (you're not offering much to pick from), and draft starting arms, I'd keep:

Fielder
Axford
Papelbon


Yup yup. Like I said.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
ayebatter wrote:Ok assuming standard 12 team H2H where I'd prefer to build on power (you're not offering much to pick from), and draft starting arms, I'd keep:

Fielder
Axford
Papelbon


Yup yup. Like I said.



Yep I noticed that, but I wanted to make it my own. :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11852
(Past Year: 1637)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Looks like Wreves and Bwanna will wrap up their teams on Thursday. Any objections to me filling out my roster Friday afternoon?
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:07 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Looks like Wreves and Bwanna will wrap up their teams on Thursday. Any objections to me filling out my roster Friday afternoon?


No issues here. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11852
(Past Year: 1637)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Looks like Wreves and Bwanna will wrap up their teams on Thursday. Any objections to me filling out my roster Friday afternoon?


It'll be down to just you? No problem.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: League Chatter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:Looks like Wreves and Bwanna will wrap up their teams on Thursday. Any objections to me filling out my roster Friday afternoon?


It'll be down to just you? No problem.

Yeah, I have 5 spots to fill, Wreves and Bwanna have two.

Speaking of Bwanna, he needs to put somebody up...
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact