League Chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

League Chatter

Moderators: Bwanna, OneLoveBoomer

Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:07 am

Yes, I looked at that section earlier to see if there was anything to work with, but didn't see it.

And the "room" on your roster, to me, means total players, not necessarily positions.

For what it's worth, I think it's only in any given owner's interest to fill positions anyway. I don't see a lot of room for abuse; you're only hurting yourself if you draft in some incomplete way that would leave positions empty.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: Re: League Chatter

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:17 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:For what it's worth, I think it's only in any given owner's interest to fill positions anyway. I don't see a lot of room for abuse; you're only hurting yourself if you draft in some incomplete way that would leave positions empty.
not necessarily true.

Why should I draft a catcher and or a UT if I can grab two extra Starting Pitchers, or in your case two extra relief options, and just wait and make a UT decision in April. Long after the draft is over.

I could see a nice benefit there
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:34 am

wrveres wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:For what it's worth, I think it's only in any given owner's interest to fill positions anyway. I don't see a lot of room for abuse; you're only hurting yourself if you draft in some incomplete way that would leave positions empty.
not necessarily true.

Why should I draft a catcher and or a UT if I can grab two extra Starting Pitchers, or in your case two extra relief options, and just wait and make a UT decision in April. Long after the draft is over.

I could see a nice benefit there


You'd have to drop them before season's start anyway, before they'd render you any stats (which is the whole purpose of a redraft league). Either that or run your team w/o a catcher or UT guy... which would be suicide.

I mean, I'm doing the same thing basically with my 3 CWS RPs...one of them will be the closer. Before the season starts I'll likely drop the other two. There is benefit there, but where's the abuse? I don't see anything that's unsporting.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:36 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Yes, I looked at that section earlier to see if there was anything to work with, but didn't see it.

And the "room" on your roster, to me, means total players, not necessarily positions.

For what it's worth, I think it's only in any given owner's interest to fill positions anyway. I don't see a lot of room for abuse; you're only hurting yourself if you draft in some incomplete way that would leave positions empty.


By the rules as stated here....viewtopic.php?t=398082

Starting Positions: C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, UT, 3 OF, 6 pitchers
Bench: 8 players of any position

There are only 8 bench spots, I don't see how you can even bring 'total players' into the discussion, regardless of the kink in Yahoo's armor.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 am

So, if you left a C spot blank, then you'd have 9 Bench Players, not 8. True. The rules do say that.

Bwanna, do you have a good argument as to why that does NOT forbid someone from not filling all Starting Positions?


EDIT: I'll leave the above comment I just made.
But, as I look now at the rules, I'm looking at the sections. The roster positions are listed under the Rosters section. The intent here is that these are the roster settings for the league throughout the year (modeled in the draft too, for sure). Some leagues have more or less bench players to amp up or dampen competitiveness in roster size. I am not sure that this can be rightly interpreted as a draft mandate, any more than it can be interpreted as a daily roster lineup mandate (i.e., you could interpret this to mean that all owners must have a fully pitching lineup every day, with no vacancies allowed on any given day. If you only had 5 pitchers going on a day during the season, why aren't you breaking this "rule," if we're interpreting it this way for the draft too?).

Furthermore, I would assume that a rule about this issue should be under the "Auction" section, which has several nit-picky details. There is no such mentioning.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:51 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
wrveres wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:For what it's worth, I think it's only in any given owner's interest to fill positions anyway. I don't see a lot of room for abuse; you're only hurting yourself if you draft in some incomplete way that would leave positions empty.
not necessarily true.

Why should I draft a catcher and or a UT if I can grab two extra Starting Pitchers, or in your case two extra relief options, and just wait and make a UT decision in April. Long after the draft is over.

I could see a nice benefit there


You'd have to drop them before season's start anyway, before they'd render you any stats (which is the whole purpose of a redraft league). Either that or run your team w/o a catcher or UT guy... which would be suicide.

I mean, I'm doing the same thing basically with my 3 CWS RPs...one of them will be the closer. Before the season starts I'll likely drop the other two. There is benefit there, but where's the abuse? I don't see anything that's unsporting.



Ok, team A has Yogi Berra at $13 as his 2nd catcher thru auction in a one catcher league. Team B has Ozzie Smith at $4 as his second shortstop thru auction in a one shortstop league. Team B is short of cash and he can't make a deal for Berra and fill his entire roster during auction if he makes the deal. So he conspires to make a deal after the auction (no problem here), but he also wants to make full use of his bench without having to buy a catcher in the auction, thus enabling his team... blah blah blah.

Just buy a friggn catcher and be done with it. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 am

Who's not buying a catcher?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Who's not buying a catcher?



Third Day wrote:I think this gets asked every year so here goes....by rule do we need to have all starting slot filled at the end of the draft?


Hahahahahaha, looks to me like Third wants one of Bwannas catchers for Bonifacio and he can't afford to make a deal during the auction, but he also doesn't want to buy a catcher, and having an extra bench spot will somehow give him a leg up on the rest of the league, in essence giving him 1st waiver rights without actually being first on Yahoo.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 am

Do we even use waivers, I don't remember. Its a conspiracy I tell ya. :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: League Chatter

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:36 am

IMO, the spirit of the rules are simply how to configure Yahoo - because that's the way Yahoo lists the slots. Of course you can have more than 8 players on your bench.

This is a mostly a moot point anyway because it's too late to change how the rules are interpreted at this point.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5655
(Past Year: 247)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact