100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

League Chatter

Moderators: Bwanna, OneLoveBoomer

Re: Chatter (Draft)

Postby Silent Rob » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:09 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Silent Rob wrote:Silent Rob's Notable Bids - 2nd Round Edition

The Bid is still active for Albert Pujols, but he already wins the "Quick Draw" Award for fastest incline to the biggest bid (to date this season) in one page.

$1, $25, $35, $38, $40, $41, $42, $43, $44, $46 (One Page) -- Albert Pujols 1B, Cardinals

Bid History, One Page it went from $1 - $46. I love that stat. ;-D

The winning number is on page two. :-°

Of course, though the post is accurate, I didn't want to reach and say it was the winning bid, because it just might not be. Just a cool factoid I noticed being the newbie round these parts.
My Daily League Site - Tell 'em Silent Rob sent ya.
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:19 am

Reynolds scares the heck out of me. He could be big again this season, but for me, way too much risk to be spending big bucks.

Same as Reyes. Lower body injury and steals don't usually go well together.

Utley went a bit higher than I would have liked for me, but it is not that bad at all. I certainly would have paid more than $25 for him. ;-7
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 92)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:48 am

With a lot of heavy bidding going on, I think the Posada buy ($8) was a nice one.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby scoreless » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:55 am

I cannot wait to take the next 3 months off of bidding after this round. If all goes to plan I'll have a couple pitchers and 4/5ths of an infield. Chapter 11 here I come! !+)

Who to dominate next round....
BRAL: '09-6th; '10-3rd; '11-6th; '12-4th; '13-6th
scoreless
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby FutilityInfielder » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:56 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:With a lot of heavy bidding going on, I think the Posada buy ($8) was a nice one.

Thanks. What's a baseball team without a broken down old catcher? Fortunately, unlike Varitek, this one can still hit. Hopefully, he'll DH a lot more this year and not get hurt. Maybe with the money I've "saved" I can bid on a backup later. Can't wait for tomorrow's nominations.
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FutilityInfielder » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:05 am

scoreless wrote:I cannot wait to take the next 3 months off of bidding after this round. If all goes to plan I'll have a couple pitchers and 4/5ths of an infield. Chapter 11 here I come! !+)

What I love about fantasy baseball is the almost endless variety of strategies a person can adopt. Bid big early and then stuff your team with fillers later, downplay starters, average hitters over power and vice versa etc etc. As far as I know no one strategy has been proven to be the best. Maybe it's because in the end you also have to be lucky with injuries, trades, moves etc. How many of you guys have read the book Fantasyland by Sam Walker?
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Silent Rob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:07 am

FutilityInfielder wrote:
scoreless wrote:I cannot wait to take the next 3 months off of bidding after this round. If all goes to plan I'll have a couple pitchers and 4/5ths of an infield. Chapter 11 here I come! !+)

What I love about fantasy baseball is the almost endless variety of strategies a person can adopt. Bid big early and then stuff your team with fillers later, downplay starters, average hitters over power and vice versa etc etc. As far as I know no one strategy has been proven to be the best. Maybe it's because in the end you also have to be lucky with injuries, trades, moves etc. How many of you guys have read the book Fantasyland by Sam Walker?

No I haven't read it.

I have been thinking of Rotisserie from the start. I think adopting a strategy where you look at the stats you can harness by signing a guy goes a long way to getting you where you want to go in this kind of league. Especially in an auction where there are still hundreds of other options out there that can fill your need in a various category or two.
If it were a H2H league, the strategy would be much different... you would see probably more conservative betting, but who knows... maybe you all hail from the school of Bwanna Economics. ;)
My Daily League Site - Tell 'em Silent Rob sent ya.
Silent Rob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FutilityInfielder » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:22 am

I think a lot of it also depends on your personality or whether you're a risk taker etc. I've tried all kinds of strategies over the years with various levels of success. The great thing about it is that I still don't which is the best way to go or which way is the most comfortable for me. And half the fun is trying to rescue a bad strategy (or just plain stupid bidding - which I've had my fair share of) during the season. Fantasyland is a very entertaining read. Don't knock Bwanna or any of the other 5 "stingy" guys - they just might win this thing! :-D
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby scoreless » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 am

This is my second year in the league and last year was a huge educational experience. Being away from keeping tabs on mlb players, teams, and fantasy baseball, for years, I was really behind knowledge and strategy wise playing with all of you crafty vets. Plus I was a virgin to the slow bidding draft. I bought a few high priced guys last year (Wright $40, Beltran $32, Halladay $31, Dice K $22, Nathan $22) and a bunch of "mid range deals" and wound up pretty unhappy/lucky. Lack of player knowledge was eluding me and I think I ended up second to Bwanna in player moves (but finished 6th overall in the league). I didn't really blame my team "structure" but the players I chose. I hope to be more competitive this year and learn even more from all you crazy mammals!!

PS my original draft roster is under "Sco0ter" on the 2009 spreadsheet :(

Cheers to 09/10 season! ;-D
BRAL: '09-6th; '10-3rd; '11-6th; '12-4th; '13-6th
scoreless
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:28 pm

FutilityInfielder wrote:How many of you guys have read the book Fantasyland by Sam Walker?

Read it, decent book.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1440)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League