100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League

League Chatter

Moderators: Bwanna, OneLoveBoomer

Re: League Chatter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 am

ayebatter wrote:
Bwanna wrote:
We started before the internet was a viable option for communicating and collecting stats; we used the USAToday bulletin board service to download stats once a week, calculated standings by hand, then faxed them to owners.

I remember those days ;-D

Me too....I was 9 years old... ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scoreless » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:11 am

ayebatter wrote:
Bwanna wrote:
We started before the internet was a viable option for communicating and collecting stats; we used the USAToday bulletin board service to download stats once a week, calculated standings by hand, then faxed them to owners.

I can speak for Boomer and myself by saying we probably couldn't even pick up a baseball in 1984 :-D

How old are you guys geeesh!
BRAL: '09-6th; '10-3rd; '11-6th; '12-4th; '13-6th
scoreless
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am

I get the cheap rates at the golf course. :*)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 am

scoreless wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
Bwanna wrote:

I can speak for Boomer and myself by saying we probably couldn't even pick up a baseball in 1984 :-D

How does it feel to know you getting your ass kicked by old men? :-b
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby FutilityInfielder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
Bwanna wrote:

Me too....I was 9 years old... ;-D

Unfortunately I also remember those days - I remember "discovering" Eric Davis in late 1984 and narrowly missing winning the pool. Kept playing for a couple of years but it was just too much work for both the owners and especially the poor commissioner at the time. Had to settle for boring HR pools at work etc (the best part was the beer at the actual draft). Then college, kids, blah, blah, blah. Thank God for the Internet and computers beyond the PC XT. ;-D
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FutilityInfielder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:58 am

Sounds like we have quite the range of ages etc here. What do you guys do in the real world? I've just turned 50 and am a bioinformaticist in one of the government labs up here in Canada. The kids have just left the nest so I have a lot of free time to get back into drafting mediocre MLB/NFL fantasy teams. :-b BTW if anyone knows of any openings in a good dynasty league or a soccer pool please let me know - thanks.
“We're looking for a really solid year out of Esteban. It doesn't have to be his best year as long as it's not his worst. Somewhere in the middle, we'll be happy.” (Billy Beane)
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:57 pm

FutilityInfielder wrote:Sounds like we have quite the range of ages etc here. What do you guys do in the real world? I've just turned 50 and am a bioinformaticist in one of the government labs up here in Canada. The kids have just left the nest so I have a lot of free time to get back into drafting mediocre MLB/NFL fantasy teams. :-b BTW if anyone knows of any openings in a good dynasty league or a soccer pool please let me know - thanks.

35, married for just over four years and have a two and a half year old son - raising him right, as he already loves the Sox!

I'm an academic advisor and career coach at a state university in Connecticut where I previously was an admissions officer for almost ten years.

Ironically enough, Eric Davis was my favorite player growing up. I remember being in middle school and being part of a baseball card trading club. This kid had Davis' rookie card and after weeks of trying to get him to trade it to me, I ended up giving up an entire shoebox of cards to finally seal the deal...couldn't tell you what was in that box, it was a pretty random assortment, but I remember thinking at the time that I had just pulled off the deal of a lifetime :-b
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby FutilityInfielder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:16 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
FutilityInfielder wrote:Sounds like we have quite the range of ages etc here. What do you guys do in the real world? I've just turned 50 and am a bioinformaticist in one of the government labs up here in Canada. The kids have just left the nest so I have a lot of free time to get back into drafting mediocre MLB/NFL fantasy teams. :-b BTW if anyone knows of any openings in a good dynasty league or a soccer pool please let me know - thanks.

35, married for just over four years and have a two and a half year old son - raising him right, as he already loves the Sox!

I'm an academic advisor and career coach at a state university in Connecticut where I previously was an admissions officer for almost ten years.

Ironically enough, Eric Davis was my favorite player growing up. I remember being in middle school and being part of a baseball card trading club. This kid had Davis' rookie card and after weeks of trying to get him to trade it to me, I ended up giving up an entire shoebox of cards to finally seal the deal...couldn't tell you what was in that box, it was a pretty random assortment, but I remember thinking at the time that I had just pulled off the deal of a lifetime :-b

I can't really remember who I cheered for early on but when Fred Lynn broke in in '75 he was it. I still have the Sports Illustrated with him on the cover from that year. Later on it was Lou Whitaker and I haven't found a player to replace him since (this Chase Utley guy is pretty good though). There was quite the crop there in the '80's with Davis, Strawberry, and Gooden - too bad it all ended on such sour notes for those guys.
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 pm

scoreless wrote:I can speak for Boomer and myself by saying we probably couldn't even pick up a baseball in 1984 :-D

Yep
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FutilityInfielder » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
scoreless wrote:I can speak for Boomer and myself by saying we probably couldn't even pick up a baseball in 1984 :-D

Yep

I have to say that Boomer is one laconic fellow! (A one syllable reply would be perfect here Boomer :-D )

I'm hitting the road for a 6 hour drive - I would really appreciate it if you guys would leave the players I want really cheap for when I check back in. Have a good one.
FutilityInfielder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Roto Auction League