Postby warner892001 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Here are some prospects on my team 12 team keeper league on espn

Carlos Santana
Yonder Alonso
Todd Frazier
Pedro Alvarez

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse? ... 1&teamId=1

I kinda feel as if i need the pitching help

maybe i drop Frazier for Arrieta what do you think?

is Ian Desmond or Starlin Castro anybody to look at for help?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Prospects for Next Year

Postby niedj5079 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Starlin Castro definetly is, he was just named Cubs top prospect for 2010 by Baseball America.
niedj5079
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby warner892001 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:35 pm

castro not in the espn database why arent i surprised
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 pm

If you want pitching, you could certainly drop Frazier for Arrieta. I think that Arrieta is a slightly better prospect.

Also, it's my understanding that Starlin Castro is better known for his glove than his bat. Besides, being the top prospect in the Cubs system is kinda like being voted the hottest girl at fat camp. I wouldn't drop any guys or your team for him.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warner892001 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 pm

what would you see Arrieta's stat line for next year looking like?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:51 pm

warner892001 wrote:what would you see Arrieta's stat line for next year looking like?

Nothing phenomenal. It will be his first year in the show and he plays in the AL east. Still, long term, I think he's a slightly better prospect.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warner892001 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 pm

like a #2 or 3 starter long term?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mblax10 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Steve-o wrote:Also, it's my understanding that Starlin Castro is better known for his glove than his bat. Besides, being the top prospect in the Cubs system is kinda like being voted the hottest girl at fat camp.

I would disagree with both of these. Castro is a 19 year old who's tearing through the AFL and had a nice regular season. There are questions on how much power he'll develop, but the kid's 19, should always hit for avg and has the defensive skills to stay at SS.

The Cubs have passed a lot of teams in organizational ranking with nice development from a number prospects this year. Vitters & Cashner also topped off their seasons with good showings in the AFL. All 3 are top 20-60 prospects. Jay Jackson, Carpenter & Lee all took step forwards and should be ranked in the 70-150 range. #1 pick Brett Jackson should also make some top 100 lists.

As far as the original question, if you're keeping 4 guys I wouldn't worry too much about not having a pitcher. Good chance Arrieta has a better '10 but Frazier is more likely to have more long term fantasy value. Especially if he stays at 2B.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warner892001 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:42 pm

I have Uggla and Beckman though and beckham is moving to 2B but should still have 3B eligibility.

Ive heard things about Matusz and Arrieta, I have Matusz and he was nice down the stretch and Im wondering if arrieta is worth the risk.

also another question

which 1b prospect is better

Freddy freeman or yonder alonso?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 am

Interesting info on Starlin from a chat today:

colavito (Memphis, TN): Starlin Castro becomes the top MLB preseason prospect at shortstop in a)2010, b)2011, c) both a and b, or d) none of the above?

Kevin Goldstein: D. None of the above. I think he's becoming one of the more over-rated prospects in the game. Don't get me wrong, I really like him, he's an every day big league shortstop -- and a good one at that, but I don't see impact level at all.

Rob (Alaska): Since you mentioned it re: Starlin Castro, what's the difference in your eyes between "an everyday big league shortstop - and a good one at that" and "impact level"? I guess what I'm asking is how do you define an impact level player?

Kevin Goldstein: Well, let's stick to Castro. He can hit, not doubt. It's a 60 bat, and if you want to throw a future 65+ on it, I'm cool with that. Below average power, doesn't take walks, 4.4 down the line, so he's below average speed and not going to steal bases, he HAS to hit .300 to have value.

Dirk (Calgary): Is projectable power wishcasting for Castro? Is that why he's getting overrated? You seem to think he's more Christian Guzman than Hanley, and I've already seem Hanley comparisons.

Kevin Goldstein: Again, I really like Starlin Castro, he's a very good shortstop prospect. Comparing him to Hanley Ramirez is maybe the most completely and utterly unreal [expletive] ridiculous thing I've heard all year.

Jeff (DC): So at SS, do you see more upside/impact-level potential in D. Gordon than S. Castro?

Kevin Goldstein: Well, you get into ranking philosophy territory here. Yes, Gordon has a higher ceiling that Castro, but if I was going to be on which one had a good big league career, I'd bet on Castro, and I might bet a ton.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball