Falling Stars? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Falling Stars?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Falling Stars?

Postby Maow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 am

What can anyone tell me about the following guys?
Engel Beltre OF/TEX - seemed to drop off the map this year???
Oscar Tejada SS/BOS - has always seemed to have some mixed reviews - can he stay at SS even without two other top prospects at SS in their system???
Deolis Guerra SP/Min - usually been young for his level - great change, but two straight years of not much production???

Any info would be welcome. Thanks.
Last edited by Maow on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Falling Stars?

Postby kab21 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Beltre is young so his struggles aren't much of a surprise. The big concern is that he hardly ever walks (2.5% in '08 and 4.4% in '09), K's quite a bit and doesn't hit for much power. Not really a great combo but he's still real young and he can steal quite a few bases.

Guerra's ERA doesn't show it but he made some nice improvements this year. He cut BB rate in half to 6.5% and upped his K rate to about 16.5% while having avg or better GB rates. I will be interested in reading the scouting reports to see what actually changed for him this year (there has been considerable tweaking of his mechanics over the last two years) but those numbers are encouraging. He's not an upside guy since I don't think he'll ever K a lot but if he can be stingy with walks and have a decent GB rate then he's got potential to be a #3. I am still waiting for the scouting reports from this season before I get too excited as a Twins fan.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Re: Falling Stars?

Postby Johnny Tuttle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:37 am

The issue with a Beltre is definitely plate discipline. He's so much the free swinger that a lot of his helium is lost: I'd bet you a quarter his earlier high rankings were at least partially premised on improved plate approach, and this is another year with no progression at all there.

I don't think all is lost with him; he is still young. But sooner or later, he's got to show some semblance of an ability to work a count, let alone start drawing walks and improving his contact rate.

Hit F/X is a little above my understanding and willingness to learn at the moment, but this would be a fun player to explore there. I'd bet it would be a scary portrait of a young man.
Johnny Tuttle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 36)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball