Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hot Stove News/Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hot Stove News/Rumors

Postby bigken117 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:08 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Spidey wrote:Sox also reportedly looking at Scutaro. :-/

Not a big fan of Scutaro, but they will probably overpay and get him. Really no other options out there outside of a trade that isn't on the horizon yet.

Scutaro is a 33/34 year old career utility player that just had a career year. Scutaro wants a multi-year deal because this is likely his last chance to get one. I say let him sign elsewhere and let Lowrie attempt to stay healthy and become the starting SS. It saves you draft picks, money, and I'd wager that if Lowrie can stay healthy he'll post better numbers than Scutaro and Gonzalez for that matter. If it doesn't work out, they can always trade for a replacement just like this did last year.

I noticed that Lowrie had 25 doubles with 46 RBIs in 260 ABs (81 Games) as a 24 year old rookie in '08 before getting hurt. Those numbers equate to a pretty darn good player.

I say no to signing Scutaro as thats its not worth it.

I say no also. Because Lowrie struggled after dealing with injuries all last season, now some think he may be a utility player at best :-° Give the guy 400 healthy AB before making that decision.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Spidey wrote:Sox also reportedly looking at Scutaro. :-/

Not a big fan of Scutaro, but they will probably overpay and get him. Really no other options out there outside of a trade that isn't on the horizon yet.

Scutaro is a 33/34 year old career utility player that just had a career year. Scutaro wants a multi-year deal because this is likely his last chance to get one. I say let him sign elsewhere and let Lowrie attempt to stay healthy and become the starting SS. It saves you draft picks, money, and I'd wager that if Lowrie can stay healthy he'll post better numbers than Scutaro and Gonzalez for that matter. If it doesn't work out, they can always trade for a replacement just like this did last year.

I noticed that Lowrie had 25 doubles with 46 RBIs in 260 ABs (81 Games) as a 24 year old rookie in '08 before getting hurt. Those numbers equate to a pretty darn good player.

I say no to signing Scutaro as thats its not worth it.

I don't disagree with you at all. I had starting typing up a similiar opinion on his age and contract year performance, but ran out of time before having to run to a meeting. I think signing him would be a mistake, but for some reason I just see them doing it. I like Lowrie as a player, I just don't think the team is going to give him a chance to start on a regular basis.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Now that Anthopoulos has seemingly concluded addressing the shortstop position for 2010, he said his top priority is to find a starting catcher. The Blue Jays' GM said that it is looking unlikely that free-agent catcher Rod Barajas will re-sign with the team, but Toronto still plans on offering the 34-year-old veteran arbitration before Tuesday's deadline.

Barajas is a Type B free agent, so the Jays would receive a sandwich pick between the first and second round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft if he declines arbitration and signs with a new team. Toronto also will offer arbitration to shortstop Marco Scutaro, who is a Type A free agent, meaning the Jays would net two compensatory picks if he declines and signs elsewhere.

I was bored.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Spidey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:12 pm

According to Yahoo sox are now heavily pursuing Rich Harden. ;-D

I would like to see this happen as that could give sox the opportunity to trade Buckholz for a young bat.

On NESN last night they mentioned possibly moving Pedroya to SS. Don't know how this helps as we would still need a 2nd baseman. :-S
Spidey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 19)

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Hmmm shall we change the title of this thread to "Red Sox Hot Stove News/Rumors"?

J/K :)
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Spidey wrote:According to Yahoo sox are now heavily pursuing Rich Harden. ;-D

I hope not. We already have enough pitchers who are injury risks.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Gotta be weary of Harden at this point. He is the second best FA pitcher out there, and the Cubs were weary of offering him arbitration when he only made $7 million last year. Maybe there was more to that early shutdown then we know.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:32 pm

I would like to see this happen as that could give sox the opportunity to trade Buckholz for a young bat.

On NESN last night they mentioned possibly moving Pedroya to SS. Don't know how this helps as we would still need a 2nd baseman. :-S

Buckholz? Pedroya? You doing that on purpose?

:-?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:40 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

Weetors?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby B-Chad » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:58 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

Weetors?

No it's Weitors! And he's not even in the Yahoo! database. Man I hate that Yahoo! ;-7
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers