Hot Stove News/Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hot Stove News/Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hot Stove News/Rumors

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:14 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:The Red Sox could get a deal done without giving up Bard. My guess is Buchholz, Westmoreland and Pimentel would be sufficient.

That would be a pretty hefty prince, the three of the four highest ceiling players in the system (Kelly is the only one else that might have a higher ceiling).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Tigers are shopping Jackson and Granderson with Yanks, Cubs (Grandy) and Dodgers (Jackson) being among those interested. Detroit can kiss 2010 and possibly beyond goodbye. Thanks economy!
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:23 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Tigers are shopping Jackson and Granderson with Yanks, Cubs (Grandy) and Dodgers (Jackson) being among those interested. Detroit can kiss 2010 and possibly beyond goodbye. Thanks Dave Dombrowski!

FTFY ;-)

anyway...not sure they're in hardcore sell mode, but my guess is if they can get a good package for these guys they'd move them. i'd really hate to see Grandy go, but if it can improve this team i'm all for it. this is an old team with a few key younger players, so if you can move some of those guys for some younger semi-setablished players or top prospects, clear some bad contracts off the books (Maggs, Guillen, Inge, Robertson, Dontrelle, Bonderman) and then make another run at it with up and coming 25-26-27 year olds instead of declining 30-31-32 year olds
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Dan selling low on Granderson in his prime would be a huge mistake IMO. The odds of getting equal returns are slim. Austin Jackson or no Austin Jackson.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby pjalst » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 pm

Adrian Gonzalez with a supporting staff? The thought is frightening :-o
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:34 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Dan selling low on Granderson in his prime would be a huge mistake IMO. The odds of getting equal returns are slim. Austin Jackson or no Austin Jackson.

like i said...i hope this isnt a Grandy Must Go At Any Cost salary dump, but if they can get a legitimate package for him then you have to consider it and if not you keep him. as far as selling low, eh, i'm not sure MLB GM's are going to look at it that way...the power, speed and defense are still there, the guy just strikes out a ton and cant hit lefties...something they either think they can correct or live with...does his value really drop that much because he hit .250 instead of .275 or whatever it was
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:50 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Dan selling low on Granderson in his prime would be a huge mistake IMO. The odds of getting equal returns are slim. Austin Jackson or no Austin Jackson.

like i said...i hope this isnt a Grandy Must Go At Any Cost salary dump, but if they can get a legitimate package for him then you have to consider it and if not you keep him. as far as selling low, eh, i'm not sure MLB GM's are going to look at it that way...the power, speed and defense are still there, the guy just strikes out a ton and cant hit lefties...something they either think they can correct or live with...does his value really drop that much because he hit .250 instead of .275 or whatever it was

The can't hit LHP is a huge strike against him IMO. Are teams really going to give up top prospects for a guy that should be platooned?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

The can't hit LHP is a huge strike against him IMO. Are teams really going to give up top prospects for a guy that should be platooned?

and has this contract :-o

Curtis Granderson

5 years/$30.25M (2008-13), plus 2014 club option

signed extension with Detroit 2/4/08
08:$1M, 09:$3.5M, 10:$5.5M, 11:$8.25M, 12:$10M, 13:$13M club option ($2M buyout)
2013 option increases to:

$15M if MVP (1st - 5th) in 2011 or 2012

$14M if All Star in 2011 or 2012

$13.5M if All Star selection in 2011 or 2012

award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M for MVP, WS MVP
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 pm

pjalst wrote:Adrian Gonzalez with a supporting staff? The thought is frightening :-o

To say nothing of the fact that he'd be somewhere else besides Petco for half his games...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Captain Furtah » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

and has this contract :-o

Curtis Granderson

5 years/$30.25M (2008-13), plus 2014 club option

signed extension with Detroit 2/4/08
08:$1M, 09:$3.5M, 10:$5.5M, 11:$8.25M, 12:$10M, 13:$13M club option ($2M buyout)
2013 option increases to:

$15M if MVP (1st - 5th) in 2011 or 2012

$14M if All Star in 2011 or 2012

$13.5M if All Star selection in 2011 or 2012

award bonuses: $25,000 each for All Star, Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M for MVP, WS MVP

hey buddy this is 2009. A 5.5 (or even 8.25 or 10) million dollar contract for someone with his skills is not that bad, and for the numbers he has, and is likely to put up is probably a little low.

Also what does 13.5 million if all star selection and 14 million if all star supposed to mean?

And, would you be willing to pay an extra $375,000 to a player who went to an all star game, won both the gold glove and silver slugger awards and was the MVP of the LCS, WS and SEASON? You talk about the bonuses like they are a risk for a team.

This post is a joke
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers