Hot Stove News/Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hot Stove News/Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hot Stove News/Rumors

Postby nsulham » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Didn't feel like making separate threads for these so I figured we could have one general Hot Stove rumors thread. The following thanks to Rotoworld:

Adrian Gonzalez:
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, there are signs first baseman Adrian Gonzalez will be traded "sooner than later."
Gonzalez, 27, is under team control for another two years. But he'll continue to lose value as free agency nears. As the Union-Tribune notes, the slugger was left out of a brochure shipped to prospective season-ticket holders at the end of the season and his agent, John Boggs, has not been approached by the Padres' new ownership group about the possibility of inking a contract extension. Gonzalez posted a .958 OPS and 40 home runs this season. A laundry list of teams would come calling if he's made available this winter.

Roy Halladay
During a conference call on Saturday, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos hinted at a possible trade of Roy Halladay.
"He's probably one of the greatest if not the greatest Blue Jay to ever put on the uniform. But he wants to win and really, at this time, we were a 75-win team last year," said Anthopoulos. "I think he's stated that his timeline for winning and ours may not mesh and may not match for us right now." Many believed that former GM J.P. Ricciardi missed out on a fruitful return before the trade deadline, but Anthopoulos is more optimistic, saying there could be a "bullish market" for the 32-year-old right-hander since the free agent will be so thin on starting pitching. Halladay has one year and $15.75 million left on his current contract, a relative bargain considering what he figures to get when he hits free agency after 2010.

Rich Harden
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune doesn't expect Rich Harden back with the Cubs.
Harden has a well-documented injury history, but was able to make 27 starts in 2009, posting a 4.06 ERA. Being just 27 with tremendous talent, he's sure to receive a multiyear pact, which is scaring the Cubs off. While understandable, we're curious why Chicago appears to have zero interest in bringing back a high-upside starter during a tremendously thin free agent pitching market.

Pedro Feliz:
Phillies declined 3B Pedro Feliz's $5.5 million option for 2010.
Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said last week that he intends to explore opportunities this winter to upgrade at third base, so this should come as no surprise. Feliz hit just .266/.308/.386 in 580 at-bats this season. He's a very solid defender but the Phils are looking to add a little more offense. There's some speculation that they may go after free agent Adrian Beltre.

Chris Snyder
Lyle Overbay
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the Blue Jays have called off trade talks involving catcher Chris Snyder.
The Jays and D'Backs were reportedly discussing a Lyle Overbay-for-Chris Snyder swap, but concerns about Snyder's back led Toronto to nix the talks Sunday afternoon. It wasn't a great fit anyway because of the $11.25 million remaining on the backstop's current contract.

I really hope the Sox can put out a competitive offer for A-Gon without completely bankrupting the farm system. Not getting Tex last year hurt them this past season and for the future so this would be a nice consolation, even though it would require giving up some youth. Also hope they make a run at Harden. He may only give you 120 IP but those IP are likely to be pretty good for the back end of a rotation.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hot Stove News/Rumors

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:30 pm

yawn, everyone on the planet knows that Adrian Gonzalez (and Heath Bell) will be traded either in the offseason or before the trade deadline.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:38 pm

I doubt this would happen since they are in the same division but the Giants could really use Gonzalez and have enough prospects to trade for him.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 450)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Which team will ride Clay Buchholz' overrated ass?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Which team will ride Clay Buchholz' overrated ass?

The Red Sox
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:57 pm

I pray Rich Harden plays in a pitcher-friendly park... imagine what he could be like as a Dodger :). We're certainly in the market.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I pray Rich Harden plays in a pitcher-friendly park... imagine what he could be like as a Dodger :). We're certainly in the market.

Even with all of the injury concerns, I love to see him in Dodger Blue. B-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1599)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:09 am

Maybe the Sox could use him as the key prospect to get Felix from Seattle ;-7 because Hernandez is 2 years younger

I would expect to see something like Buchholz, Bowden, Reddick/Kalish, and an A ball intriguing guy like Pimentel offer floated for AGonz. Pads will push for Kelly and or Westmoreland, and I'd have no problem with that either.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 253)

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:34 am

bigken117 wrote:

Maybe the Sox could use him as the key prospect to get Felix from Seattle ;-7 because Hernandez is 2 years younger

I would expect to see something like Buchholz, Bowden, Reddick/Kalish, and an A ball intriguing guy like Pimentel offer floated for AGonz. Pads will push for Kelly and or Westmoreland, and I'd have no problem with that either.

I think the Pads will be asking for a package centered around Buchholz and Bard with probably Westmoreland too. I don't see the Red Sox giving up Bard and they probably could work out a deal that without involving him considering how crazy deep the farm system is right now.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:12 pm

The Red Sox could get a deal done without giving up Bard. My guess is Buchholz, Westmoreland and Pimentel would be sufficient.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers