Most Overrated music group - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Most Overrated music group

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most Overrated music group

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:08 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Personally, I never cared much for Tool or A Perfect Circle. I roll my eyes at Tool fans who think that folks who don't like their music lack musical intelligence, but for some reason or other, I can't get myself to like their music. Quite simple really. I like my music with a faster pace, more riffs, more solos, and well, meaner.

:-/ i think that's as close to a rolls eyes icon as we have :-b to each their own though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:07 am

exactly what gf said.

the beatles music isnt as good as people make it out to be. sure they may have been groundbreaking and genre changing and had influence on others, but to me their music is very overrated. i think liking the beatles turned into a fad. it became really cool to love the beatles, thus people began loving them. call me crazy if you want, but i think they're overrated.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Personally, I never cared much for Tool or A Perfect Circle. I roll my eyes at Tool fans who think that folks who don't like their music lack musical intelligence, but for some reason or other, I can't get myself to like their music. Quite simple really. I like my music with a faster pace, more riffs, more solos, and well, meaner.

:-/ i think that's as close to a rolls eyes icon as we have :-b to each their own though

Tool is just too moody for my liking. They're great at creating an ambiance for their music, but each time, I'm thinking that's really all they have: atmosphere. Tool is a sound technical band that's worthy of respect, but I also think their technical ability is overestimated. I'd rather listen to music that's just direct in the Anthrax/Slayer/Pantera sense, but again, that's just me.

Snakes Gould wrote:exactly what gf said.

the beatles music isnt as good as people make it out to be. sure they may have been groundbreaking and genre changing and had influence on others, but to me their music is very overrated. i think liking the beatles turned into a fad. it became really cool to love the beatles, thus people began loving them. call me crazy if you want, but i think they're overrated.

I'd say there's a difference between being overrated and being quite popular. The tricky thing is, that line is blurred the more popular the band becomes. Music is the one field that's most sensitive to this, which is why I wasn't exactly joking when I said, "anything not metal is overrated". Any band, any musician with some measure of popularity will be overrated to a certain extent (that goes for metal too ;-)). It's just a given.

As for the Beatles not being as good, let's put some things into context: The UK music scene in the 1950's/1960's was generally, a Merseybeat scene. Naturally Liverpool, in particular, was a big Merseybeat hub (erm, Liverpool is on Merseyside), which tried to piece the influences of the likes of Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison in the States and try to jell them together. It was rather primitive stuff because this was essentially rock 'n roll in its infancy and what's more, the music was catchy, in the commercial sense. Plenty of melody, but basically it was the same recurring beat. The Beatles' early work was a byproduct of Merseybeat and their first few albums were basically happy, upbeat stuff. It wasn't until the mid-to-late 60's that they hit their stride, in that they drifted away from Merseybeat and had a more underground complexion, which coincided well with the overall climate of how it was like to live in the 60's.

That said, I can't deduce that The Beatles are overrated after listening Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band, and Abbey Road all the way through. The Fab Four were great musicians, aside from Ringo being somewhat of a weak link. Their influence, let alone the quality of their work, might be overstated, but nonetheless, the body of their later work was great, great in their own right. I'd say they're overrated in the sense of most music appreciation publications being very quick to heap Sgt. Pepper's as a top 5 all-time album, let alone the greatest album ever. Their music was great, just not as world-beating as music pundits would like to believe. I don't think they're overrated in the sense that their music was all but hype, however.

On another note, when I was in Vegas recently, I thought the Cirque du Soleil show of Love, based on The Beatles' music was pretty darn good. I happened to grow up in a household of parents who were avid Beatles fans and my pop happened to like the show too. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 am

How can The Beatles, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam be overrated? Music sales probably say otherwise. Beatles are 1st, Zep 3rd in artist all-time sales. The Beatles changed rock history with their innovations.

Aerosmith probably for me. Bon Jovi. Michael Jackson for getting most of his sales from under 16 year olds.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:00 am

HOOTIE wrote:How can The Beatles, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam be overrated? Music sales probably say otherwise. Beatles are 1st, Zep 3rd in artist all-time sales. The Beatles changed rock history with their innovations.

Aerosmith probably for me. Bon Jovi. Michael Jackson for getting most of his sales from under 16 year olds.

If you base who is good on album sales then you would have to believe N'Sync and Backstreet Boys were good too. :-b
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:How can The Beatles, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam be overrated? Music sales probably say otherwise. Beatles are 1st, Zep 3rd in artist all-time sales. The Beatles changed rock history with their innovations.

If you base who is good on album sales then you would have to believe N'Sync and Backstreet Boys were good too. :-b

I see someone has been looking thru his stacks of CDs, and now he's looking for affirmation. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1388)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:24 pm

The grateful dead are not overrated how dare you! and tool is better then all of your faces
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Forgot about Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. Two great choices.

Tool is one of those bands that I only dislike because of their fans. They are on OK band. I think someone alluded to that earlier and I feel the same way.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Forgot about Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. Two great choices.

Tool is one of those bands that I only dislike because of their fans. They are on OK band. I think someone alluded to that earlier and I feel the same way.

TOOL shows are funny cause half the crowd are people who enjoy the music and are generally normal and tame. The others are completely insane wackos
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Forgot about Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. Two great choices.

TOOL shows are funny cause half the crowd are people who enjoy the music and are generally normal and tame. The others are completely insane wackos

I just know a ton of Tool fans that jump to criticize anyone who doesn't like them and will always play the "you don't really appreciate music" card. Gets under my skin.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk