Most Overrated music group - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Most Overrated music group

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most Overrated music group

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:24 pm

Dookie was titled perfectly, that's exactly what it was, as is anything from Green Day.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Metroid wrote:Dookie was titled perfectly, that's exactly what it was, as is anything from Green Day.

meh...i like some of their stuff...pretty much anything pre-(whatever that Emo Rock Opera CD was called)...i mean they arent overly talented or anything but they make some fun catchy pop-punk

next you're going to tell me you hate The Offspring and would like to Smash their CD's
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:31 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
next you're going to tell me you hate The Offspring and would like to Smash their CD's

I'm writing these down by the way
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:39 pm

What does "overrated" even mean? Musically?

Then how is Dave Matthews Band overrated? They are popular, sure. But they are incredibly talented. Maybe you don't like Dave's songwriting, but I fail to see how that makes him/them overrated...songwriting comes down to taste. There is nothing overrated about the musicianship of that band.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:What does "overrated" even mean? Musically?

Then how is Dave Matthews Band overrated? They are popular, sure. But they are incredibly talented. Maybe you don't like Dave's songwriting, but I fail to see how that makes him/them overrated...songwriting comes down to taste. There is nothing overrated about the musicianship of that band.

Agree with you here, I'm not a fan of Matthews vocals, but they can sure play.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:37 pm

I think every band with some measure of popularity are to varying extents, overrated. The Beatles are a good example. Their longevity as artists and the evolution of their work are traits to be praised, which makes them great, but I'd say their cultural relevance for the 60's, as well as their influence in other genres, is what makes them rated as greater. I find that those who love classic Britpop (i.e. The Stone Roses, Oasis) are more likely to find more common ground with liking The Beatles than others who find other styles of music their cup of tea.

I'll admit that I liked Green Day and Offspring when I was 12-13, back when Dookie and Smash came out. Looking back on it, both bands were/are no more than a fad to me now. That might sound harsh, but their older works became annoying to say the least, which makes their newer stuff not worth delving into, in my book.

Personally, I never cared much for Tool or A Perfect Circle. I roll my eyes at Tool fans who think that folks who don't like their music lack musical intelligence, but for some reason or other, I can't get myself to like their music. Quite simple really. I like my music with a faster pace, more riffs, more solos, and well, meaner.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:40 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:the beatles and u2 were the first 2 that came to mind to me.

i see i'm not alone in thinking the beatles are overrated

I'm not saying you're wrong, but why exactly do either of you think the Beatles are overrated? They're not in my top 10 either, but we can't ignore what they did for music.

because of exactly that, i'm basically judging them based solely on their music which i think is overrated. they have some good songs and a few very good songs but overall they're pretty overrated imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Because everything that Dave Mathews does sounds exactly like everything Dave Mathews does....it sounds like music you'd hear in the Gap. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:45 pm

Metroid wrote:Because everything that Dave Mathews does sounds exactly like everything Dave Mathews does....it sounds like music you'd hear in the Gap. :-D

That's very true of the DMB songs that everybody's heard of, the ones you've heard on the radio :-P . However, there are 3 or 4 songs that I really really enjoy, especially the stuff he did with Reynolds. #27, Gravedigger, and The Maker are great songs.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm not sure what kind of music they play at the Gap, but if they play DMB then I'd surely enjoy it. I happen to be a big DMB fan, but understand why many aren't. Dave's voice really is peculiar and a band that substitutes electric guitar with violin and saxophone will definitely turn some people off. That said, the band is immensely talented. So again, I don't really understand how they are overrated. Whether or not you like their style seems a separate issue.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk