Wal-Mart starts selling caskets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wal-Mart starts selling caskets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wal-Mart starts selling caskets

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD9BKA6TO1

The world's largest retailer wants to keep its customers even after they die.

Wal-Mart has started selling caskets on its Web site at prices that undercut many funeral homes, long the major seller of caskets.

The move follows a similar one by discount rival Costco, which also sells caskets on its site.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., quietly put up about 15 caskets and dozens of urns on its Web site last week.

Prices range from $999 for models like "Dad Remembered" and "Mom Remembered" steel caskets to the mid-level $1,699 "Executive Privilege." All are less than $2,000, except for the Sienna Bronze Casket, which sells for $3,199.

Caskets ship within 48 hours. Federal law requires funeral homes to accept third-party caskets.

The caskets come from Star Legacy Funeral Network, Inc., a company based in McHenry, Ill., that sells the same caskets for about the same price — some less — on its site, along with many others.

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wal-Mart starts selling caskets

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm

People's after-death rituals amaze and astound me. I'm sure there are some people here that have, or would spend that kind of coin on a box to bury someone in, but even if I had millions of dollars I'd tell my family not to spend any more money than necessary on me after I die.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 pm

I had to say I was pretty spooked when Costco started selling caskets a couple of years back. The funny thing was, the stall where you pick up a brochure is on the way out and so, you could see parts of the casket as you roll along. Just a grim reminder, no? :-b

If you can get a classy looking casket for under $1,000, that's pretty darn good IMO. I spent $2,000+ on a simple, but otherwise nice copper casket for my mother's burial a couple of months back. It was quite cheap, considering that the funeral home had mostly high-end caskets that went upwards of $30-40k. :-[
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:31 pm

I've been saving an old Grolsch beer bottle with one of those lock down caps for 30 years, I think my ashes will fill it to the brim, you guys can have the blow off. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1604)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:45 pm

ayebatter wrote:I've been saving an old Grolsch beer bottle with one of those lock down caps for 30 years, I think my ashes will fill it to the brim, you guys can have the blow off. ;-D

:-P
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:People's after-death rituals amaze and astound me. I'm sure there are some people here that have, or would spend that kind of coin on a box to bury someone in, but even if I had millions of dollars I'd tell my family not to spend any more money than necessary on me after I die.

Agreed. The casket gets buried after, what, a week? Then no one gets to see it. I'm more than happy with a refrigerator box, myself... :*)
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:45 pm

walmart is like the most awesome place on earth. <3 it so much.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 810)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:12 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:walmart is like the most awesome place on earth. <3 it so much.

I hate Wal-Mart. I think I've been inside once in the past 10 years and it wasn't really voluntarily. I wouldn't spend your money there. %-6
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:walmart is like the most awesome place on earth. <3 it so much.

I hate Wal-Mart. I think I've been inside once in the past 10 years and it wasn't really voluntarily. I wouldn't spend your money there. %-6

you crazy bro, it's the ultimate ridiculously cheap one stop shopping. when i moved into my new place i got household items, some clothes, and groceries all at the same place at just ridiculously awesome prices. that little rollback guy is my hero.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 810)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:26 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

you crazy bro, it's the ultimate ridiculously cheap one stop shopping. when i moved into my new place i got household items, some clothes, and groceries all at the same place at just ridiculously awesome prices. that little rollback guy is my hero.

I'd rather pay more money than support predatory pricers. :^ B-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to General Talk